Jack Sparrow Compass Options

20170606_155103.jpg

The compass that I ordered from Amazon arrived today. Here it is with some of the other toy versions. All in all, it's a nice looking piece. It's actually quite detailed compared to the other toy compasses. It's half an inch wider than all of the others though. I've read that the Disney store version is accurate in size but I also keep seeing 3.5" listed as the correct width, so, I don't know which is right.

20170606_183047-1.jpg

Yes, technically. The body of the thing is slightly shorter but the dome is taller so they come up to almost the exact same height.

I have the Zlurpo and MR compass -- I'll post pics this weekend. The Disney Store sold a toy when 3rd movie was out that was almost exact same size as the MR -- I swapped out the dial and painted it to more closely match screen used. The Zlurpo I have is from first movie, so dial bezel is slightly different. Overall, the Zlurpo is really nice, but just a tad too big. But I agree with others that it looks more like the real deal than the MR -- which does look a bit plasticky. I've seen the new kit on ETSY and am tempted, but kind of a pain to have to order all the little parts needed to finish it...but the base kit does look pretty nice. Look forward to seeing other build-ups of that. And if another kit is in the works, please share info as it becomes available. Looking at a bunch of different screen caps, it appears there were some variations from prop to prop, perhaps even including the number of segments on the lid hinge. I've also seen variations in the ivory trim as far as width and general overall look, making it challenging to have a definitive replica, unless you want to have all the subtle variations.

FOUND THE LINK WITH MR VS ZLURPO PHOTOS:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=172598

Found link to article I wrote in how to convert the Disney toy that was sold a few years ago into something more suitable for cosplay -- also shows it next too MR for size comparison:

http://cjskttccostumewiki.pbworks.com/w/page/5132482/Disney Store Compass - Conversion Tutorial

Last edited:
Great info gents. I will post the person and his project when it becomes avail. Right guy now it's in the final stages and don't wanna spoil his work. Soon though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 734424

The compass that I ordered from Amazon arrived today. Here it is with some of the other toy versions. All in all, it's a nice looking piece. It's actually quite detailed compared to the other toy compasses. It's half an inch wider than all of the others though. I've read that the Disney store version is accurate in size but I also keep seeing 3.5" listed as the correct width, so, I don't know which is right.

I keep comparing the new compass to movie still and the dimensions seem correct. I think the size is perfect and better looking than the Disney/MR size.
a really good base model

I was looking through stills as well. It matches the compass in the newest film pretty nicely. I can't be certain, but looking at stills from all five films, it looks like the CotBP and DMTNT compasses might be a little larger than the ones in the other films. I have no proof of that though. We've just been enlarging stills and comparing Jack's hands.

I was looking through stills as well. It matches the compass in the newest film pretty nicely. I can't be certain, but looking at stills from all five films, it looks like the CotBP and DMTNT compasses might be a little larger than the ones in the other films. I have no proof of that though. We've just been enlarging stills and comparing Jack's hands.
I thought the same thing but was goin to wait until the blu ray came out and use stills. Great minds think alike! now that im awake lol
I am ordering two of the new compasses now.
whats the weight on it? is it flimsy or equal to the old Disney one? how does the spinning work?
thanks in advance

It's light weight but it doesn't feel flimsy. It's about the same weight and quality as the Disney Store compass.

The sundail thingy can be turned manually. It's kind of a pointless feature but it should be removable. I haven't tried to pop it off yet but it feels like there's a little give to it.

I wish that the dial itself was a separate, rotating piece but at least it looks good.

pirates-jack-compass - Copy.jpg
Been using this pic for reference.

that pic of that compass only has a 4 barrel hinge, very pointy arms on the dial several piece ivory inlays especially the inner circle surrounding the rose, new clasp....

Yeah, it's from the new film. They changed it quite a bit.

The inner wall of the lid is much thinner now as well and the stars look much smaller to us.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back