New on SFX Make-Up. Advice needed

Sano

Hey fellow RPF'ler! :)

I want to expand my horizon and want to learn a bit on the SFX Make-Up field.
Im currently painting my The Force Awakens Finn Stormtrooper. Here's the first question.
What are good products to replicate a realistic blood effect? For the helmets I did I simply used fake-blood and used
some of my girlfriends make-up to make it more realistic. It worked pretty good. The thing is it was easily removable.
Since the helmet shall be a durable replica I'd like to have the blood kinda sealed that its not easily wiped away.

The second project I want to start soon is the scar of Kylo Ren in Episode 7 and 8.
Soon Im going to do the full Episode 8 Kylo Ren costume and I need the scar of course. The plan is that I get a my head molded and
casted. With the cast it's a good way to sculpt the scar. What would you recommend here?

I am also thinking of doing a more low budget Kylo costume, which I can wreck just like after Rey finished Kylo. For that I would also
sculpt the fresh wound but need fakeblood/skin here so that it looks real and bloody (also for his arm).

I hope you guys can point me into the right direction! :)

Thanks in advance,
Dino

Hey Dino.

When I was doing my Finn helmets I took fake blood and mixed it with clear five minute epoxy. I liked my blood very thick and crusty, so that's what I did but you could mix it and apply it thinner to match the real helmet.
IMG_6015.JPGIMG_6017.JPG

The scar looks like it goes in instead of out, you may be able to use rigid collodion to match the look. You apply it to your face where you want the scar and as it dries it shrinks slightly pulling in and making the scar. Then you could put some pinkish purple inside the scar for realism. If you wanted to sculpt it, Chavant NSP Medium is a wonderful clay for prosthetics.

For the fresh wounds, you could do a silicone build up wound. Here is a video on that process. https://youtu.be/fDAexTmvgrM

If this is just for a costume, I'd avoid the cost and effort of a life cast and sculpt/mold. Always follow the KISS method.

With a little bit of practice, you can get great results with collodion, or even just latex rolled up. With correct shading, you'd get nice depth.

If you really want an appliance, you could sculpt it flat, no need to have it match your face exactly unless it cuts through an eye brow or something similar. Besides appliances not only require application, but you need to hide the edges, which requires completing a full makeup. If you left your natural skin and just constructed the scar in place, you'd only have to treat that spot. It's last longer and be more comfortable as well.

Hey Dino.

When I was doing my Finn helmets I took fake blood and mixed it with clear five minute epoxy. I liked my blood very thick and crusty, so that's what I did but you could mix it and apply it thinner to match the real helmet.
View attachment 733113View attachment 733114

The scar looks like it goes in instead of out, you may be able to use rigid collodion to match the look. You apply it to your face where you want the scar and as it dries it shrinks slightly pulling in and making the scar. Then you could put some pinkish purple inside the scar for realism. If you wanted to sculpt it, Chavant NSP Medium is a wonderful clay for prosthetics.

For the fresh wounds, you could do a silicone build up wound. Here is a video on that process. https://youtu.be/fDAexTmvgrM
Hey Dino, listen to this guy, he is awesome. You should follow him on instagram too, he posts some amazing, stuff, on here as well. I was going to mention the clear epoxy route as well, but he beat me to it!

Hey Dino, listen to this guy, he is awesome. You should follow him on instagram too, he posts some amazing, stuff, on here as well. I was going to mention the clear epoxy route as well, but he beat me to it!

Haha, thank you Snikt for the endorsement! Dino and I are friends. He actually does amazing Kylo Ren helmets, and asks me stuff from time to time.

Not sure if you knew or not Dino but my first background was in special effects makeup. Feel free to shoot me a message any time, as always. This is Jack if you didn't know my screen name. ;)

Honestly, I'd just go with "paint and powder" for the ep. VIII Kylo scar. That's all the Harry Potter scar ever was, and they're about the same weight. Saves a lot of complication, and, if done properly, will look virtually the same as a prosthetic.

For the fresh wound, I'd be inclined to go with a flat mold technique, whether pros aide transfer or silicone appliance. Really easy to get good edges that way, and you don't even need a lifecast to do it (though it helps).

Thank you guys for the tips! Jack, I will keep you updated on the blood marks.
For the scar, I have the opportunity to get a professional life cast from a good friend. And I think its good to have a cast for future projects maybe, so I'd like to go this route.
I also want to learn a lot on the make-up field so I dont have a problem with hiding the edges etc. :)
Thanks again for the input. Now I have to start on the projects and if more questions come up, I'll ask you guys! :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back