Wonder Woman (Post-release)

Fawbish Sorry man. Yeah I didnt hate it, but I didnt love it either, glad I saw it though. I thought it was a pretty basic origin story, nothing really compelling, but I did really like the nod to Richard Donners Superman, that was cool. I sure as hell didnt cry in any scenes :lol

I would have to see it again to clarify what the point of the Amazons were, if they were so secluded from Mans world. I also thought that scene was pretty lackluster, and kind of forced, when Diana leaves the island I mean. We knew it was going to happen, but didnt have the impact I was hoping for. I wish we spent more time on the island to be honest. Yeah, they said she was the only child on the island.

Thats definitely a good interpretation and I appreciate that insightful look. I know this isnt a fair comparison, but Im going to say it anyway, if youre going to do the love message, Harry Potter did it WAY better, I know it was a ton of movies worth, but when you have such a cheesy message, its best to give little tastes of it, rather than one hamfisted bowl to the face, in my opinion anyway. Like I said, Steve Trevor dying took all the emotion out of it for me because it was SO unecessary. Its like he threw his life away for no reason other than for Diana to get pissed and unleash the power of the bracers? That NOBODY mentions why she has them, or as to why they are powerful. Kind of thought that was weird too. I was also hoping that they were going to explain why that outfit was so different than the others. Did they say and I missed it?

- - - Updated - - -

*THIS* movie was about her single-minded quest to stop Ares, which she does... and learns that stopping him didn't fix anything, which gives WW her ultimate purpose going forward: to better mankind (e.g., be a hero). That's the point I was getting at.
Ah. I wonder if there are going to be scenes in Justice League as to how she has been bettering man kind for almost a hundred years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was very paint by numbers for me, a little of captain america, a little thor, and a lot of stuff I have seen before. I swear to god they went to the same bar cap did to recruit the howling commandos.

Yes, I thought so too...BUT, that's actually what I wanted DC to do. Learn a little from Marvels example. It's still not enough to make me care about Justice League yet...they need to dig Superman out of the dark and emo trashcan he's been dumped in to get me back on board, but it's definitely a good start. I'll definitely see the next WW movie.

My hope is still that the success of this movie makes them rethink how they've been handling their other super hero movies.

I saw it the other night. I put this DC movie behind the Nolands Batman series and Snyders Man Of Steel. They did a good job and the wife was entertained.

Yes, I thought so too...BUT, that's actually what I wanted DC to do. Learn a little from Marvels example. It's still not enough to make me care about Justice League yet...they need to dig Superman out of the dark and emo trashcan he's been dumped in to get me back on board, but it's definitely a good start. I'll definitely see the next WW movie.

My hope is still that the success of this movie makes them rethink how they've been handling their other super hero movies.
Couldnt agree more. There is no way in hell Im paying money to see Justice League in theaters. I guess WW was just a little late to the party for me. Yeah, but with ZS, Superman is probably going to be the villain, cause the guy is clueless on why people like Superman.

Agree again. One can hope at least.

I know a lot of people are comparing this to Marvel and it being a rehash of different source material but I didn't get that all all (with the exception of the recruiting scene). IMHO they got what I think Wonder Woman was/is. My only real complaint was the special fx were spotty at time. But I thought Gadot and Pine nailed it.

I know a lot of people are comparing this to Marvel and it being a rehash of different source material but I didn't get that all all (with the exception of the recruiting scene). IMHO they got what I think Wonder Woman was/is. My only real complaint was the special fx were spotty at time. But I thought Gadot and Pine nailed it.
Yeah that scene at the end where they blow up the airplane hanger had a very ps4 vibe to it. So nobody else thought Steve Trevors death was unnecessary?

IMO they blew up the factory not because it had any gas in it but because all the gas making stuff was in it. They probably could not blow up the plane on the ground.I wonder why he did not jump out (Did they have parachutes in WW1? He did not use it when he crashed the 1st time) but I understood it.

Completely, but being a comic book the chances of his death being lasting are about 0% :)
As a comic reader you could be right but I dont think so. I wish they just would have made more sense with his death I guess is what Im saying. I know it needed to happen because of the lesson/plot I just wish it was executed better.

Totally agree. Just saw this last night, I really enjoyed it and it was a well told story. But the effects were so bad in some places it was like being slapped with a wet flannel.

I love the fact she has a very recognisable theme, I can barely identify any music of a film since the 90's and I feel films suffer from this lack of recognition.

The wife didn't like it though. She says it was a massive let down for a female led super hero film. The island beach storming, when she and Steve are hiding behind rocks and he tells her to wait there and goes into battle, and she does wait. I just heard "Oh FFS! I'm done". She also thinks Diana spent way to much time listening to and going along with Steve's plans and ideas as it was fairly obvious early on she could kick everybody's ass without breaking a sweat.

But I really liked it.

Diana was lied to about her abilities by her mom. I see parallels to this parenting-style all the time in real life; doesn't matter which sex. Diana gradually learns to go beyond her assumed capabilities in a real world capacity, until she gets it completely. I was completely impressed by this message.

The wife and I finally got to see this today. Lots of work (like the last ten days straight) and our daughter's wedding prep had us booked solid even on off days, but I digress.

We both enjoyed it, which was nice after the BVS travesty. I thought it a wee bit long but I think that of every flick, a few weak effects and a bit too much slow mo and obvious choreography but overall Gadot was fantastic, the cast was good, and it was easy to overlook the flaws because of the level of enjoyment in the movie. Looking forward to #2.

Immediately preceding WW was the trailer for JL, which looks like a horrid mess. I hope I'm wrong but the trailer did not sell us in the slightest.

Zack "The Hack" Synder should be banned from movies within a radius of 1000 km - his "style" is slo-mo, drab colors, making it dark, brooding, visually overloading and totally perverting the characters to the opposite. He's a one trick pony in the same sense today like Quentin Tarantino, espcially Tim Burton and Night M. Shamalan. Michael Bay has improved and at least listens from time to time to fans, that it's visually blaring, that a story could be told slower etc. etc., but man, he's trying me for his explosions.

I have not seen the movie yet but I have a question regarding the Wonder Woman Theme. Is it the same we heard in BvS, when Bruce is looking at Diana's pic from WWI?

IF YES, how come that THIS was made almost a decade earlier:

[video=vimeo;39323358]https://vimeo.com/39323358[/video]

If you listen carefully you will hear the exact same WW theme. But why???

Was it the same composer? A similarity like it happened with "Star Trek II" and "Aliens"? Did they buy the notes from the original composer?

I'm really curious to find that out.

Does anybody know what that song is called and who performed it in the B&C trailer?

Finally got to see WW and as a guy who isn't generally into superhero movies, I enjoyed a lot of it. The opening origin and London sections were the most interesting to me. As soon as these movies get to the big, climatic super battle with a scenery chewing villain throwing lighting bolts around, I start nodding off. No matter what the filmmakers come up with visually, I feel like we've seen it all before — but I suppose that's a problem facing all action movies in the age of CGI.

Gadot was great, very natural and convincing. I liked Pine, too, and it was good to see some character based humor as opposed to the usual one liners they often shoehorn into these movies. Best of all, I liked the basic concept that gods and superheroes may make things more interesting but ultimately only humanity can save humanity. I was glad they didn't just pay that theme lip service but instead made it central to Diana's character arc.

I have not seen the movie yet but I have a question regarding the Wonder Woman Theme. Is it the same we heard in BvS, when Bruce is looking at Diana's pic from WWI?

IF YES, how come that THIS was made almost a decade earlier:

https://vimeo.com/39323358

If you listen carefully you will hear the exact same WW theme. But why???

Was it the same composer? A similarity like it happened with "Star Trek II" and "Aliens"? Did they buy the notes from the original composer?

I'm really curious to find that out.

Does anybody know what that song is called and who performed it in the B&C trailer?

That's Karen O's version of "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin, the mythology of which actually plays nicely along with the mythology of WW (in terms of fierce fearless warriors, strangers from a strange land, etc) and yes - the electric guitar line in that song is a direct inspiration for the WW musical cue, which incidentally....

... was written and is played by Tina Guo on electric cello. Same artist who played electric cello for all the BSG scores for composer Bear McCreary from Season 1 onward (after the pilot episode, which was composed by and performed by a different orchestra). She's a mainstay of the BSG Orchestra and just about any move you hear fantastic cello in these days.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back