Wonder Woman (Post-release)

Zeus, in classical mythical fashion, took a liking to Hipolyta and got her preggers with Diana.

So why have the clay origin in the movie at all? The New 52 used the clay origins as a means of dispelling the idea that Diana is Zues' daughter, where as here it's known to everyone that Zeus is responsible for her creation, clay or not. If Diana and the rest of the Amazons know that Zeus was responsible for her creation, what's the point of using the clay origin as a means of deception when it doesn't even hide the important part? And again, where in the film does it hint that Hippolyta had an infatuation with Zeus? That was kind of a big deal in the New52's HIppolyta where Brian "She controls the men in her life" Azzerallo actually wrote that she and Zeus really had a thing going on. Like, he liked her more than Hera. In this movie, we get nothing but an acknowledgement that Zeus brought Diana to life.

Besides, making Diana a demi-god ala Heracles opens things up to the possibility-

Stop. No it does not. For DECADES, Wonder Woman has always dealt with the Gods in many ways without the writers ever having to resort to her being an illegitimate child of theirs. In fact, before New52, there was already a demi-god child of Zeus in the Wonder Woman comics. It was Wonder Girl, Wonder Woman's frequent sidekick! You're taking away Wonder Woman's unique origin and replacing it with her gawddang sidekick's origin! At least Bruce Wayne being part of a Circus would make more sense than Wonder Woman being a demi-god.

Oh, and that vague part in the Amazon backstory where Hippolyta freed the Amazons? The one responsible for their enslavement was Hercules himself. Changing it up so Hercules and Diana are siblings is just all kinds of wrong. And yes, there is a story where Wonder Woman and Hercules deal with each other and it's a good one. And they didn't need to be siblings in order to tell it!

Please tell me you're not going to explain to me the great story possibilities of having the Amazons be these man-murdering, child slavery endorsing idiots who can't even make their own weapons and armor. Not even the writers who worked on New52 Wonder Woman after Brian left could make it work. It wasn't until Greg Rucka did the write thing by eliminating all that junk and bringing Diana back to where she belonged.

I would just like to point out that you guys are making a lot of assumptions about how Zeus "brought Diana to life". There is absolutely nothing saying that the clay origin can't be the truth here. In the original, it was Hera who brought the clay simulacrum to life. There is nothing stating that the same didn't happen but with Zeus providing the power. He's a god. He's knocked up women in the form of a goose, a bull, and a ray of sunlight. I would say that making a clay sculpture into an actual living being is not outside his capability. :lol

I would just like to point out that you guys are making a lot of assumptions about how Zeus "brought Diana to life". There is absolutely nothing saying that the clay origin can't be the truth here. In the original, it was Hera who brought the clay simulacrum to life. There is nothing stating that the same didn't happen but with Zeus providing the power. He's a god. He's knocked up women in the form of a goose, a bull, and a ray of sunlight. I would say that making a clay sculpture into an actual living being is not outside his capability. :lol

Good point and that has to be easier than slipping into a bull skin for a day! :)

HISHE did a review of the movie. It starts out in typical HISHE fashion, kind of manic and a bit annoying, but then he gets very serious at the end and delivers a wonderful (no pun intended) point that honestly brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved it. Not perfect indeed, the cgi was a bit noticeable some times, and I felt that both Dr Poison and Hudson's character were cartoonish in some scene, more due to the way it was acted than the dialogue itself. Same with Ares, he has a couple of lines that were fine, but the way he acted them was a bit strange. And that's the extend of my nickpickings, I honestly was on the verge of tears here and there. Never doubted Gal neither, and she's perfect. Not only drop dead gorgeous, but I don't think anyone is arguing about that, but the goodness, naïvety, child like wonders and straight badassness she gave Diana was perfect. She reminds me of JLA Diana a little bit. Definitely going again when it's finally out in my own country, but it was well worth the trip I had to take to see it.
I suspect the reshoot for JL might have to do with the fact that Zack/Whedon, wanted to make her maybe more how she's portrayed here, because Zack showed he bad ass side, but maybe he didn't show her softer side.
Also, the picture thing in BvS makes a lot more sense now, she didn't want to erase it, which was pointless in digital format with back up and stuff, she was after the original, because of the memory.

I kinda want the people in charge there to watch this movie three times, then read the profit receipts out loud. Then say "ok, how are we going to handle Superman going forward?"

This movie has the earnest feeling that superman has been missing since the 80s. At least for my taste.

Man I needed this movie. Last night after a long battle we lost one of our cats, even the vet didn't know what was wrong and we couldn't afford the $250 test that at best was a 50/50 shot at a diagnosis. Then I get up to Adam West being gone. This movie raised my spirits back to a tolerable level. Her wonder at her first taste Ice Cream had me smiling, she nailed it. Props to David Thewlis as Ares a good hero needs a good villain.

The problem with Superman is exactly what has been said, it's too dark. Affleck's Batman was right on the money, he runs towards the danger to see if he can do something about it. Yes it's realistic that the world would be scared of someone like Superman and there'd be hearings and such...ATTENTION STUDIO HEADS WE DON'T GO TO SUPERHERO MOVIES FOR REALISM, WE GO TO ESCAPE THE REAL WORLD, TO SEE THE GOOD GUYS WIN AND BAD GUYS THAT DON'T LOOK LIKE YOUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR.

WW has had the lowest 1st to 2nd week drop off of any superhero film. Very impressive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 2.54.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 2.54.19 PM.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 76
Well any film made in the last 7 years at least.

It would be interesting to compare that again the first superman, and the first batman.

True, although difficult comparison considering the vast number of screens they open film on today vs. 10-20 years ago. They are so front end loaded now by design.

For me that's one of the most important measures. Opening weekend just means people want it to be good. Didn't mean it is. But second and third weekend means people have seen it and told others.
That, and not just the hardcore fans think its good, but that everyone likes it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back