Wonder Woman (Post-release)

Well, since the other thread got locked, I guess I'll put this here.
I thought it was a fun, insightful review.
**SPOILERS**

Last edited by a moderator:
So are the other Amazonians all dead now in present day? Or do they have longer lifespans as well? I wish there had been some kind of mention of her ever going back to the island or something.

Most likely they are just still out there in Themyscira.

I can definitely see some confusion for younger viewers, but most adults should be able to tell it was meant to be WWI by the trench warfare and the mention of the Kaiser. Those are unique to WWI
I think you overestimate most adults :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know man, I didn't care much for The Dark Knight despite how great everyone else thinks it was. Thought Wonder Woman was way better but I'm probably in the minority.
+1. DK had a couple of great performances- but WW was so much more fun and just better overall.

So are the other Amazonians all dead now in present day? Or do they have longer lifespans as well? I wish there had been some kind of mention of her ever going back to the island or something.

They're immortal (unless, of course, they were shot or otherwise killed in battle), and would still be on Themyscira. In the recent comics, WW is literally unable to return home, but it would be nice to see her go home.

They're immortal (unless, of course, they were shot or otherwise killed in battle), and would still be on Themyscira. In the recent comics, WW is literally unable to return home, but it would be nice to see her go home.

According to the mythology and the comic books, the Amazon women on Themiscyra would be immortal unless a man set foot on the island. Which many did in this movie. So... they would have lost their immortality, and are probably all dead now.

I can't stop thinking about this movie.
It's definitely in my top 3 comic book movies of all time, but now I can't think of what #3 is...

There's "Wonder Woman", "Spiderman 2", and...

"Kick-Ass"?...

I fracking LOVE this movie (despite it's faults), and can't wait to see it again.
I'm taking my niece this weekend.

This movie isn't just good by DCEU standards -
This is a GOOD movie.

Last edited:
To me, what made this movie great was that it had that ineffable quality seen in a rare few comic book movies. That feeling is that when you finish watching the film, you realize that they just "got" it. In the span of a single movie, they truly captured the essence of the character and their story.

To date, only three other movies have managed this: Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Superman: The Movie.

Despite its flaws, Wonder Woman has joined those films.

Of course, I'm still gonna gloat about how I fully supported Gal Gadot since they announced her casting. With all the naysayers, I've EARNED that right.

Last edited:
Saw it for my third time earlier this evening. It just keeps getting better!

I know the No Man's Land scene keeps getting brought up but, I have to say, it's for good reason. After having seen it three times now, it's impact hasn't lessened a bit. It actually had MORE of an impact on me the third time. Incredibly moving and powerful moment. I'm getting choked up again just thinking about it.

I'm taking back what I said earlier in the thread. As much as I love Guardians, Wonder Woman is my absolute favorite comic book/super hero film, and now one of my favorite films period.

I mean, guys, I've already booked an appointment with my artist to have this awesome lady tattooed on me :lol

The pacing, a little too slow at the start.

Dr. Poison was overshadowed by the other bad guys.

Ares actually looking like the British guy was weird. Could have done a shadow face with fire eyes or something like that.

Wanted the twist to be "secretly Ares daughter".

Otherwise, fun movie. Not sure if it makes me want to see JL, but it's good enough on it's own.

According to the mythology and the comic books, the Amazon women on Themiscyra would be immortal unless a man set foot on the island. Which many did in this movie. So... they would have lost their immortality, and are probably all dead now.

They are alive and well in the comics after Steve was on the island...

Still doesn't mean that forming Diana out of clay didn't happen. That's the point I'm trying to make. Even the original non-Zues clay origin still had the gods bestow Diana with their powers where she could challenge them just as she was able to challenge Ares in the film.

You could go with the clay origin if you want but that would mean pretty much ignoring everything single hint and clue littered throughout various parts of the movie that points to her classical mythlike origins. There's her mom always wanting to keep out of training and what not, being worried that if she grew in power she would attract Ares' attention. The arguments between Diana's mom and aunt about telling her the truth (presumably about her origins). There was Diana's mom's farewell speech about so much that she [Diana] didn't know and reading between the lines suggest that she wasn't referring to life in general, how to be an Amazon, or the birds and the bees. Finally, there's Ares saying that Diana is really the daughter of Zeus because Zeus, in classical mythical fashion, took a liking to Hipolyta and got her preggers with Diana. Besides, making Diana a demi-god ala Heracles opens things up to the possibility that Hera, or hard-core devotees to her, managed to survived against Ares and Hera being Hera, would have no love for Diana, or any other ******* child of his, and could easily be set as a recurring villain who does her utmost to make life as difficult as possible for Diana.

I liked it but it dragged at parts.
My only criticism is that it tries to be an r-rated war film that little girls can go see to be inspired. All the slow-mo acrobatics start to get a little predictable.
It had a bit of the old "A-Team" TV show, lots of guns and explosives but they never show anyone get actually hurt.
As a dude,I would have loved to see an r-rated version of this. (so would Chris Pine, if you know what i mean...) Also, to really show the horrors of war, there has to be horror.
It's a very good movie, but my expectations were way too high.
Side note, the 1st theater we went to had a line out the door. The manager told everyone in line for WW that is was sold out and everyone left. This movie will crush...

***spoiler. ***

My 18yo son loved it. My 16yo son thought it was just OK. He is really into mythology and could not wrap his head around the fact that Ares was Harry Potter's mad professor.

I swear I remember seeing some guy's bloody leg stump in a war scene... pretty sure they showed people getting hurt.

I swear I remember seeing some guy's bloody leg stump in a war scene... pretty sure they showed people getting hurt.

Yeah I thought they did a good job of showing war stuff without getting gory. Hurt or disabled soldiers, trenches, people run out of their homes, bodies after the gas, etc.

Agreed.

I don't personally think *this* movie needed to have the "gory gritty realistic" depiction of war in order to get the message across. those things have been shown well in other films (Private Ryan, etc...) I don't think it was needed here as well.

I'm actually very happy with the depiction of war in this film... it seemed quite balanced.

When did the Olympians kill each other off? If it was anywhere near the Classical Greek era, then Diana spent a couple of thousand years growing up. On the other hand, if she's only as old as she looks (late 20's - early 30's) then Zeus and the other Olympians were still around until relatively recently...

When did the Olympians kill each other off? If it was anywhere near the Classical Greek era, then Diana spent a couple of thousand years growing up. On the other hand, if she's only as old as she looks (late 20's - early 30's) then Zeus and the other Olympians were still around until relatively recently...

They didn't kill each other off. Ares killed all of them but Zeus, who blasted him to Earth and weakened him severely. Then Zeus used the last of his powers to create Diana, dying in the process.

As to her age, she may very well be several thousand years old. She didn't age a day in the century between Wonder Woman and Batman v Superman, after all...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back