Wonder Woman (Post-release)

Didn't Ares reveal in the end that Hippolyte and Zeus did get it on, which revealed that Diana is a god ("only a god can kill another god"), which is also why she referred to Ares as "brother" later? Maybe I need to see it again (and I really want to anyways) but my impression was the clay origin was just her mother trying to hide that Diana was the daughter of Zeus and the god killer.

But wouldn't being brought to life by Zeus equal the same thing? And if Hippolyte didn't want the connection between Diana and Ares to be a thing, why be open about Zeus creating her in the first place? The New52 had Hippolyte use the clay origin to deliberately lie about the fact that Diana was the daughter of Zeus. Since no one really cares about Diana being created by Zeus, why make up the clay origin?

And since the Amazons stand for truth, I'd surmise that Hippolyte was only telling Diana part of the truth in regards to why she came to be. The clay thing? Totally happened. Zues bringing her to life? Legit. Why she was brought to life in the first place? That's what she didn't tell her. She didn't want Diana to be a weapon. She wanted a daughter.

But wouldn't being brought to life by Zeus equal the same thing? And if Hippolyte didn't want the connection between Diana and Ares to be a thing, why be open about Zeus creating her in the first place? The New52 had Hippolyte use the clay origin to deliberately lie about the fact that Diana was the daughter of Zeus. Since no one really cares about Diana being created by Zeus, why make up the clay origin?

And since the Amazons stand for truth, I'd surmise that Hippolyte was only telling Diana part of the truth in regards to why she came to be. The clay thing? Totally happened. Zues bringing her to life? Legit. Why she was brought to life in the first place? That's what she didn't tell her. She didn't want Diana to be a weapon. She wanted a daughter.
I havent seen it yet, but isnt her original origin that she was made from clay and brought to life by Hippolyte? So no man was involved in her creation? I heard the new 52 changed it but I didnt know how, whats her origin in the movie? I might not see it on sunday now, and I dont want to have to wait to know.

I havent seen it yet, but isnt her original origin that she was made from clay and brought to life by Hippolyte?

This here is probably the quintessential origin for not just Diana, but also Hippolyta and the rest of her Amazon sisters.

A history of the Amazon's, Perez style...

Gail Simone's approach to Diana's original origin is by far my favorite. After Diana is brought to life, Hippolyte unveils Diana to all the Amazons and proudly proclaims "I give you your Princess! I give you our daughter!" This take cemented that Diana was not only the daughter of Hippolyta, but to every Amazon that lived on the island. After all, the Amazons were just given the island. They built everything that made it grand. So having Diana come from the substance that makes the island itself, well, why wouldn't Diana the daughter to all the Amazons who made it their home? And it was grand.

Btw, George Perez is the top person to be thanked in the 'Special Thanks' portion of the credits. Along with Lynda Carter and Greg Rucka! Brian Azzarello, the man who tainted Wonder Woman with his New 52 approach, was not thanked (Cheered when his credit didn't show).

I heard the new 52 changed it but I didnt know how

LONG STORY SHORT

*clears throat*

Hera loved Zeus a lot. So much so that if Zeus ever fathered a child with anyone else, she'd make it her number one priority to murder both the child and mother into DOOM Giblets. And guess who Zeus wanted to have an affair with next? Hippolyta. Their passionate lust for one another was so important that it was all Hippolyta would talk about for five whole freaking pages, leaving her actual love of Diana as an after thought after it's all been told. So fearing for her daughter's life, Hippolyta came up with the 'clay' origin as a ruse to hide the fact that Wonder Woman is Zeus' daughter so Hera wouldn't kill her. It doesn't last long. Hippolyta and the rest of the Amazons are confronted by Hera. Hera turns all the Amazons into snakes and Hippolyta into a stone statue. Diana comes back, sees what Hera did and leaves like nothing happened.

This new origin was a disaster upon biblical proportions, and I haven't even gotten to the part where we find out that Zeus was plotting Diana's life the whole time, or how the Amazons pro-created. It's god awful.

Last edited:
Jeyl Thanks man, I appreciate the summary. :) I guess nobody liked the new 52 stuff because they already did away with it all with Rebirth. Yeah man that sounds like a disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they ever address what would happen if she'd gotten shot in the movie?

Not directly, that I recall...but it's heavily implied that she'd be just fine. Maybe it would hurt, but it definitely couldn't kill her.

You made me think of this though:
0ffd29da68cc8176440779fcdb5b87bb.jpg

Can you explain to me what a PERFECT movie is? How can we as imperfect humans make any fiction objectively perfect?

My RT review...

DC finally learned their lesson and did their best to make a Marvel movie. ...and Wonder Woman can hold its head up high as the best DC movie to date and it's largely thanks to that heavy Marvel influence. Thankfully, the Zack Snyder influence isn't heavy handed and his school of how to make a bad superhero movie isn't applied to (although there is some of it present - the often agonizing slow motion fight scenes being the best example and the simply terrible sex joke).

Gal Gadot is perfect as Wonder Woman. There's a perfect blend of naivety and confidence. The rest of the cast is just overshadowed. Which is a good thing, Connie Nielsen as her mother is pretty paper thin (and with a terrible accent). Chris Pine's Steve Trevor isn't much better - a necessary stereotyped throwaway.

It's still not a perfect movie - but, it's a ton of fun and well worth seeing. It's over-the-top, glorious and just... wonderful.

I see these posts about how we should all bring our daughters to this. I wish mine was able to handle this in the theaters, but I don't think she can.

We've had to leave Ep 7, which was 1.5 years ago now. But just last night, she hid behind me during the Jango/Obi fist fight while we watched Ep 2. She's kind of a big chicken, and doesn't do well with fight scenes. Maybe when it comes to blu ray...

For a big budget movie, some of the CG in this was pretty damn spotty. Nearly every shot that had a slow motion CG replacement actor had reeeeally bad face replacement with the actress faces, and they all looked off. And Ares of course.

. Im excited to see WW this weekend, and I hope I agree with what all of you have been saying. And if I dont, I wont say a damn thing. :lol But firesprite has me on ignore now so she probably wont even see this. :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

Never be afraid to say what you want. that's the goal of some toxic people, to repress opinions that don't' agree with them. ;o).

i plan on seeing this thing, as well as guardians, sometime this week. a friend of mine who is on the hollywood scene liked WW a little better than Guardians 2. it'll be interesting to see my thoughts on both.

$100,000,000 opening weekend (US). Plus $122,000,000 foreign. $222,000,000!!!!! And a strong critical and audience approval of A+ (93% RT) . Wonder Woman did quite wonderfully ..........
(I'll be seeing it next week as half term ends).

Last edited:
Connie Nielson is Danish. That's how she sounds speaking English.

My RT review...

DC finally learned their lesson and did their best to make a Marvel movie. ...and Wonder Woman can hold its head up high as the best DC movie to date and it's largely thanks to that heavy Marvel influence. Thankfully, the Zack Snyder influence isn't heavy handed and his school of how to make a bad superhero movie isn't applied to (although there is some of it present - the often agonizing slow motion fight scenes being the best example and the simply terrible sex joke).

Gal Gadot is perfect as Wonder Woman. There's a perfect blend of naivety and confidence. The rest of the cast is just overshadowed. Which is a good thing, Connie Nielsen as her mother is pretty paper thin (and with a terrible accent). Chris Pine's Steve Trevor isn't much better - a necessary stereotyped throwaway.

It's still not a perfect movie - but, it's a ton of fun and well worth seeing. It's over-the-top, glorious and just... wonderful.

Hera loved Zeus a lot. So much so that if Zeus ever fathered a child with anyone else, she'd make it her number one priority to murder both the child and mother into DOOM Giblets. And guess who Zeus wanted to have an affair with next? Hippolyta. Their passionate lust for one another was so important that it was all Hippolyta would talk about for five whole freaking pages, leaving her actual love of Diana as an after thought after it's all been told. So fearing for her daughter's life, Hippolyta came up with the 'clay' origin as a ruse to hide the fact that Wonder Woman is Zeus' daughter so Hera wouldn't kill her. It doesn't last long. Hippolyta and the rest of the Amazons are confronted by Hera. Hera turns all the Amazons into snakes and Hippolyta into a stone statue. Diana comes back, sees what Hera did and leaves like nothing happened.

This new origin was a disaster upon biblical proportions, and I haven't even gotten to the part where we find out that Zeus was plotting Diana's life the whole time, or how the Amazons pro-created. It's god awful.

And this is bascically Diana's origins in the movie, just replace Hera with Ares. If you recall, most everything about Diana's origins and her life were a combinations of secrets and lies, all because her mother wanted to keep her safe and hidden from Ares. She was afraid that the more that she (Diana) knew the more that she would be at risk of being discovered by Ares, something that she wanted to avoid at all costs. This was why she wasn't allowed to train alongside the other Amazons until she was discovered training in secret, this was why she was told that the sword she stole was the ultimate weapon that could kill Ares, and why she was also told that she was made from clay and brought to life by Zeus. Lastly, don't forget that Ares himself told Diana the truth and told her that only a god can kill another god.

Didn't notice any of that.

For a big budget movie, some of the CG in this was pretty damn spotty. Nearly every shot that had a slow motion CG replacement actor had reeeeally bad face replacement with the actress faces, and they all looked off. And Ares of course.

Best part in the movie was when She argued with Pine and stepped out of the trench Posed, Determined and Jicked butt

Did they ever address what would happen if she'd gotten shot in the movie?

If you notice she did get some deep cuts on her arms during the beach battle. In the cavern one of the Amazons is trying to put a bandage on it, lifts the bandage and her wound is gone and she says something to the affect of "That's weird"

I know they put this in WW1 to try and differentiate themselves from captain america, but maybe they shouldn't then have also had their version of the howling commandos, and had captain Steve take off in an experimental bomber to save the day?

I mean they just blew up a factory full of the same gas, why could they not have done the same thing for the plane?

I For one am glad it's set in WWI. Everybody is WWII this and WWII that, people don't realize how BAD WWI was, they literally thought that there would never be another one like it. Hundreds of thousands of lives wasted. Medicine compared to WWII was as Dr. McCoy put it -"Like the God---n Spanish Inquisition." No sulpha drugs, no penicillin, If you can't immediately save a limb hack it off. Oh the weapons for killing and maiming were advancing nicely, and of course Mustard gas, Chlorine gas, Phosgene which smells like freshly cut grass...right before your nervous system takes a hike. My Grandfather was there, I never got to meet him, but He lived with the damage that war did physically and mentally. We need to remember in some way otherwise we dishonor their sacrifice and if it takes Hollywood to do it, so be it.

The problem with it being set in WWI is that a large percentage of the audience probably had no idea it was set during WWI. Unless I missed more, the only mention was that it was "the war to end all wars." But, it was still a German enemy in costumes that looked like WWII uniforms in Europe.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back