Wonder Woman (Post-release)

I can't believe what I'm about to say, but...

For me personally, with the exception of Guardians, Wonder Woman beats out every Marvel movie to date.

I cannot even begin to say how much I loved this film.

Holy crap! at this rate, WW will probably have a $125m opening weekend...
WW Box Office.JPG

DC went and made a Marvel movie. I can't say it was a good as most Marvel movies, but it was a lot of fun and mostly well done - easily the best DC movie.

Could nitpick quite a bit - but, overall it was very satisfying and well done.

I wrote the thing on the Talaria website. Apologies if it rambles a bit, I had a LOT of feelings to sort through and I'm not sure I was terribly successful.

http://talariapress.com/?p=1746
No wonder you got pissed off at me, you said you cried too. Which is fine...people need to try decaf or something... Good article, but one thing I wanted to mention was the GotG reference. The success of that movie should be a GOOD thing. Gunn and his team took SUPER obscure characters and made an awesome movie out of it. I thought the same thing, I was like "who the hell are these clowns" and man, was I wrong. But I get what youre saying regarding why WW hasnt been on screen yet, and as you can tell, WB and DC are very conservative and dont like taking risks. Im excited to see WW this weekend, and I hope I agree with what all of you have been saying. And if I dont, I wont say a damn thing. :lol But firesprite has me on ignore now so she probably wont even see this. :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

DC went and made a Marvel movie. I can't say it was a good as most Marvel movies, but it was a lot of fun and mostly well done - easily the best DC movie.

Could nitpick quite a bit - but, overall it was very satisfying and well done.
Now this is me asking a legit question, but do you think its as good as it is because the rest of the DC movies, by and large, were pretty bad? To me, the "best DC movie" doesnt hold a lot of weight considering their output in regards to the DCEU.

My RT review...

DC finally learned their lesson and did their best to make a Marvel movie. ...and Wonder Woman can hold its head up high as the best DC movie to date and it's largely thanks to that heavy Marvel influence. Thankfully, the Zack Snyder influence isn't heavy handed and his school of how to make a bad superhero movie isn't applied to (although there is some of it present - the often agonizing slow motion fight scenes being the best example and the simply terrible sex joke).

Gal Gadot is perfect as Wonder Woman. There's a perfect blend of naivety and confidence. The rest of the cast is just overshadowed. Which is a good thing, Connie Nielsen as her mother is pretty paper thin (and with a terrible accent). Chris Pine's Steve Trevor isn't much better - a necessary stereotyped throwaway.

It's still not a perfect movie - but, it's a ton of fun and well worth seeing. It's over-the-top, glorious and just... wonderful.

Last edited:
Now this is me asking a legit question, but do you think its as good as it is because the rest of the DC movies, by and large, were pretty bad? To me, the "best DC movie" doesnt hold a lot of weight considering their output in regards to the DCEU.
Don't drag me into your mindless and needless bullying session.

Saw it last night, and I loved it. Best DCEU movie so far, and I'll add it's just a great movie overall since l personally agree that "best DCEU" isn't saying much at all.

First things first. I'm SO GLAD the clay origin is still a thing and the whole 'Hippolyte and Zues getting it on' is out the window.
Didn't Ares reveal in the end that Hippolyte and Zeus did get it on, which revealed that Diana is a god ("only a god can kill another god"), which is also why she referred to Ares as "brother" later? Maybe I need to see it again (and I really want to anyways) but my impression was the clay origin was just her mother trying to hide that Diana was the daughter of Zeus and the god killer.

I liked it.

I didn't go quite as gaga over it as some others have, but it was definitely worth seeing while in theaters. If they learn the right lessons from it then there's some hope for DCU after all.

Like everyone else I though Gal Gadot was great. I also thought Chris Pine did a really good job. It was good enough that we'll probably get about 7 more WW movies now.

I liked it.

I didn't go quite as gaga over it as some others have, but it was definitely worth seeing while in theaters. If they learn the right lessons from it then there's some hope for DCU after all.

Like everyone else I though Gal Gadot was great. I also thought Chris Pine did a really good job. It was good enough that we'll probably get about 7 more WW movies now.

I certainly hope so! :D

Saw it the other night, was not disappointed at all! Action kept me interested the entire time, not too many one liner comedy bits, THAT SCORE I loved the score so much, everytime I heard the WW theme I was pumped. I really liked how it was a contained story and didnt have world building references every 5 minutes. Would definitely see it again

After some thought on WW and letting the "high" settle down after seeing the movie, here's some more spoil-ier thoughts on it.

I still stand by my comments that DC took notes from Marvel. This movie is almost a Marvel-esque in story. The First Avenger meets Thor with the DC cinematic thrown in... well, because they had to. This is still a darn good movie that's a lot of fun. Gal is the perfect Wonder Woman - I just want to skip JL and get WW2.

This is really my only complaint on Wonder Woman: the sexual jokes and the scene between Steve and WW where the door closes and they kiss was just out of place, unnecessary and had Snyder stamped all over it. The "love connection" between Steve and Diana was just totally out of place. This really could've and should've been something more like Jyn and Cassian. Maybe hint at it a little more than that, but to allude that they hooked up wasn't needed. Save the kiss for the end and make it mean something more than what it was in the movie.

The fight scenes were right out of Zack Snyder's handbook. The fight at the end was especially needlessly similar to what's happened in the other DC movies and it just didn't seem like it was thought out at all.

One thing I wish was a little more clear were the gods. In Thor, it's a little more definitive and thought out. Here, it seems more like an afterthought. Almost like, "well, we have to include the gods, but we don't know how to... so, let's fake it." I feel like something was missing to make it all work better.

I'm torn on Themyscira. One one hand, I think a lot of what we saw on Paradise Island could've been handled a lot faster - on the other, I wish we could've explored more - in ways the movie didn't capture.

Other than Diana, there wasn't much character development or exposition. We got a lot of stereotypes and thin characters... which is to be expected. The Howling Commandos were a nice touch that I didn't expect. :lol

Again, don't let these nitpicks fool you - this easily the best DC movie I've seen (sorry, Superman: The Movie and Dark Knight). Amazing fun and a great time.

i thought it started well, but then dragged in the middle, and the end just seemed like a 50/50 rehash of the end of BVS and captain america.

I half expected Steve to crash the plane into the ice.

Not helped by the fact it cost me 25 quid to see this with my wife and son.

I absolutely agree with your statement but honestly I think it was fantastic. I think every little girl needs to see this movie.
I couldn't agree more!

A quote from a critic that better sums up my thoughts on it: "A legitimately great superhero movie, regardless of the Cinematic Universe baggage that it's been saddled with."

I half expected Steve to crash the plane into the ice.
Haha I had the same thought!
A guy named Steve flying his plane into certain doom in order to destroy a devastating weapon— certainly sounded familiar.:lol

I'm glad they didn't try to shove in some kind of line like "She sure is some kind of wonder...woman." In fact those were were never said. I do wish Lynda Carter had some kind of role, she could have easily been one of the Amazonians.

it felt like a good Marvel movie, and now I really wand Wonder Woman to meet Cap, though it will never happen.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back