Neill Blomkamp's Oats Studios

I understand that Artists, in general, have a "Style"(whatever that means). SRS has a style, Kubrick had a style and evidently, NB has a style. Now, if it's not your cupa, move along; nothing to see here mate:rolleyes...now it's true that the big lines are there. You just saw a short film and you know that it has to be NB!!
I don't particularly love it, but I appreciate the work involved. To come up with another type of story means a change of style and I don't see him doing so...for now. Maybe, later, he'll do a 180 in terms of look and story line (one is hoping:)).

I just dont think you should call it stupid just cause you dont like it. If you dont like it, whatever, thats fine, but to call it stupid is kind of ridiculous. Believable stories? About aliens? I dont understand what you mean by "he wasnt in district 9". I dont recall seeing in any of my posts that I told you that you had to like it. I dont think you should call it stupid though just because you didnt care for it. Seems kind of ignorant to me but whatevs.

Why not? I think it's stupid. That's my opinion. Why don't I get to have an opinion here because you don't agree with it? You seem to be taking this way too seriously and personally.

Why not? I think it's stupid. That's my opinion. Why don't I get to have an opinion here because you don't agree with it? You seem to be taking this way too seriously and personally.
Im not saying you shouldnt have an opinion, thats ridiculous, I just dont think you should insult the work because you dont like it. You seem to be way too sensitive about it. Im not taking it personally at all, I didnt make anything on the damn film, but there are people on here that do work in the industry and I think its rude to insult their work. Thats my opinion. So there. :D

I didn't mind it. It felt like a 21 minute trailer for more interesting things. Maybe I'm just not used to a short film style, but there was no tension or build up, just jumping from one thing to the next. This thing is happening, then this thing is happening, then that thing is exploding, now this thing is happening, now that thing is exploding! The narration that droned on and on didn't help either.

The creature design is down right gorgeous. I think it's my favorite in recent memory. Both the CGI and Practical effects, and the combination of both in particular, along with stunning visuals make it very pretty to look at. I think this would do really well if it was developed for a Netflix series. Hire some decent writes, keep Blomkamps unique visual style, and we could have something pretty alright. On the flip side, mess any of it up and you get one of those garbage SyFy shows...

As for the Aliens and their intelligence, Blomkamp has said "
The aliens that we see in this piece, which we have dubbed the “Klum” aliens (rhymes with ‘plume’), are actually a sort of genetically cloned drone. They're not entirely sentient, and they're sent out by a far more intelligent species who we haven’t really seen yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not saying you shouldnt have an opinion, thats ridiculous, I just dont think you should insult the work because you dont like it. You seem to be way too sensitive about it. Im not taking it personally at all, I didnt make anything on the damn film, but there are people on here that do work in the industry and I think its rude to insult their work. Thats my opinion. So there. :D

Why? Respect is *EARNED*, not granted. If Blomkamp wants my respect, and he doesn't care, but if he did, he needs to EARN it. This film didn't do so. You are perfectly welcome to think otherwise. This isn't a mutual masturbation society. I don't have to make anyone happy. So there.

Blomkamp just made 21 minutes of better film with aliens in it than Sir Ridley Scott has done with his last two high-budget features.

Who would have thought the day would ever come when Evil Alien Crocodiles beat Xenomorphs in badassness on film!

Totally loved the art direction and brutal portrayal of the invaders and their tech but there`s nothing there we haven`t seen before and that aspect looks like its going to continue going off the trailer. Still want to keep watching though. As for the invaders, just another bunch of lizards all up in Earths bidness. Humans can go all Predator on their ass.

I am a huge district nine fan and of course, anything with Aliens. I loved the Rakka short film but it really leaves you feeling cheated. I want the rest of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting aside the exposition dump near the end, Firebase was much closer to an actual narrative than Rakka, which was just an index of Blomkamp's cinematic fetishes. Sure, a lot of those show up here too, but setting them in a period piece somehow makes them fresher and more compelling, even if it also leads you to question whether the film's gadgets could have existed in 1970 at all.

Watching these shorts is like flipping through a sketchbook. A surplus of ideas--some good, some great, some rubbish--but all expertly realized. Calling the films "experimental," however, only works if you understand the term as you would with, say, aircraft. Blomkamp's trying out ideas and seeing what flies; he's not playing with cinematic form.

That said, it's refreshing that he's making shorts now. Whether the choice was driven by economic necessity or not, they're a good way to hone one's craft. It will also be interesting to see if Oats Studios will be made financially viable, as these films certainly weren't made on the cheap.

Lastly--and SPOILER ALERT!--those Soviet tail-sitters look dope AF.

Last edited:
I'm hoping they're going to do a number of these shorts and develop the most popular ones into full stories. I thought Firebase was great, but I'm a sucker for Lovecraft-style horror.

Pretty bloody but I liked the premise and the ending exposition really set up a good next scene (if it was available)!

There's way too much exposition in these things. Come on, show, don't tell. And if they're not going to make full movies, then he needs to tell complete stories in 30 minutes. The only thing "experimental" with these things is how frustrating they are.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back