Neill Blomkamp's Oats Studios

Man I want some of the props they use in these shorts! I kinda wanna take a swing at making the plague and its display from the God short.

Yawn. So I guess Neil liked "The Thing". SO we have the usual F bombs/Guns/Body Horror/ Alien/Thing with so many scenes and lines ripped off from them I'd call the lawyers. As much as I admired "District Nine" all I'm seeing now is an almost savant like inability to escape the influence of all the films he watched growing up before that . Its like fan fiction with higher production values. I'm sorry Neil its great enough of youtube but it ain't cinema scope.

Nothing overly original, but still not bad. If Guillermo Del Toro isn't going to do Mountains of Madness, Blomkamp could probably do it justice.

Yawn. So I guess Neil liked "The Thing". SO we have the usual F bombs/Guns/Body Horror/ Alien/Thing with so many scenes and lines ripped off from them I'd call the lawyers. As much as I admired "District Nine" all I'm seeing now is an almost savant like inability to escape the influence of all the films he watched growing up before that . Its like fan fiction with higher production values. I'm sorry Neil its great enough of youtube but it ain't cinema scope.

Pretty much. Yet another one that is not at all impressive. It suffers from all of Blomkamp's fetishes. Exposition heavy, plot light, all style, zero substance. He has to figure out that you actually have to tell a story. Show, don't tell. It doesn't matter if it's a short, you actually have to have a story of some sort to go along with your flashy effects. It seems Blomkamp doesn't know how.

Sourness aside, I've been enjoying these for what they are: entertainment. The monster from Zygote, I thought, was very cool and sick.

Massively derivative, yes, but Zygote was an improvement over Rakka and Firebase. It actually felt like part of a movie rather than a brochure for one. Way less exposition, an actual conflict, and a fairly novel hero: a synthetic who discovers she's human. So instead of sacrificing herself for her corporate masters, she suddenly wants to survive.

If Blomkamp and his collaborators could burn away all the borrowed ideas and clichés, Zygote might make a really dope feature.

I agree Zygote was superior to the other experimental films released under the Oats brand. It was co-written by Terri Tatchell Blomkamp's wife and collaborator on District-9. She had nothing to do with Rakka or Firebase, nor did she write on Elysium, which I think has been Neill's weakest effort so far.

Could be something to that.

I know people say he's just ripping off stuff like Alien adn Thing, but the thing is, he's doing it RIGHT. Umlike stuff like Alien Convenant that are TRYING to do that, but failing.

Take Zygote, you see the creature, but you never see it all lit up in daylight, less is more, slow reveal.

Except he's still trying to make parts of movies, not just interesting stories on their own which could be expanded into movies. He's just pulling 20-30 minutes out of a movie that already exists in his head and padding it with exposition to explain what the hell is going on. He could have made really good 30 minute shorts, but instead he's making excerpts of 2 hour movies. He's going from the big to the small, not from the small to the big.

im really enjoying these . I loved zygote and just want to see more . his life , tastes and ideas mimic what I want to see . I hope he gets backing and money to flesh these shorts out and do more . keep up the great work

Yup, that was one of the "background" guns. Still live fire though. I printed it out of nylon on a commercial printer for strength. However, nylon still has distinguishable lines which I wasn't happy with nor would be a pain to remove. My hero firing gun I made completely out of metal. Weighs a ton.

Better pics from the Nerdist Instagram:

19932468_361651340916676_6018655388348448768_n.jpg

19984443_845573378926030_1202677953406697472_n.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back