Trying to source a part

Evad

Hello again,

Not entirely sure where I was going to put this question, but since I'm attempting to use it for a Star Wars costume - I was hoping someone might shed some light on what this part may be called.

For the best way to describe this, imagine a pool cue (stick) that separates into two pieces. Normally these are done with a threaded screw on one end and then you just screw the base into it. What I'm looking for is similar, but I need it to be a quick half to three quarters single turn to unlock and lock the pieces together. Some machined metal coupler that would allow that to work. I'm assuming coupler is the right word, but I haven't found luck in actually hunting down such an item. It should be sturdy enough that it requires me to unlatch the two pieces and then latch them again. I just know I don't want some long screwing process to attach the two pieces.

If anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know. Thanks!

I would think that a quick disconnect coupler for an air compressor hose would work

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Something similar to this?
9eaf14f6b5f6586d3853b88b765e56fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Something similar to this?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170528/9eaf14f6b5f6586d3853b88b765e56fc.jpg

This would be EXACTLY what I'm looking for. What is the name of this thing that you found?

What are you trying to connect? That may determine what your options are.

What I'm making is essentially in the form of a two part pool cue, but has been redesigned into a force pike, however it's for a Mandalorian Mercs build and not a Royal Guard, so I want to carry it in two pieces and have a quick locking mechanism for when I want to bring it out, and use it.

Bayonet style quick disconnects seems to be your best bet :)
Either that or strong earth magnets slotted inside?

Bayonet style quick disconnects seems to be your best bet :)
Either that or strong earth magnets slotted inside?

I'll check into that kind of terminology and see what I can find. So far I found that the picture you sourced is a: Stäubli HCB quick-release coupling range.
It is quite pricey in the point that it can only be ordered at a 5,000 unit minimum. So I did find another RPF forum discussing this part here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=238653 and they mention O'Reily's auto parts, which I have in town, so I'm going to look for those and see if they work as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Googling pool Cue Connectors.

The issue with looking at pool cue connectors, is that there is only a few types, and each are a longer threaded screw. The bayonet or twist-fit connector is a 1/4 - 1/2 turn locking mechanism that is quick and efficient. However after doing research last night, I found that the type that is widely used is also around $350 dollars to get both pieces. Apparently they are made to withstand a massive amount of internal pressure for hoses and the like. Still trying to find a cheaper version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have the prop that I want to include the bayonet coupling into. Here are some images, and measurements for anyone who might be able to recommend where I could find the part I'm looking for. Also, if you have an idea how to modify this so that it'll work with the coupling - I'd certainly appreciate it!

ScrewLength.jpgThreadwide.jpgScrewEndWide.jpgPikeConnector.jpg

It would probably help if you told the guys what the prop is specifically, include lots of pictures and thank the members that have helped you so far. Just sayin', man. :)

I just saw this. Probably not too helpful since you already have the majority of the prop. I know a lot of people use pool cues to make force pikes from, but I went with the lower two segments of a -- sadly now discontinued -- floor lamp from Target. Stainless steel, hollow, tapering, and with pretty seamless connectors. Yeah, they're threaded, but it's less than the cue connectors.

ForcePike1.jpg

I like how it turned out.

562815_3682015938071_1522005994_n.jpg

--Jonah

If the outside diameter of the pike parts are around 1.5", a quick-disconnect saber-staff coupler may work. The only quick-disconnect version I know of is made by Ultra Sabers. All the rest of the mass produced saber-staff couplers out there are threaded and require several rotations to unscrew. The Ultra Sabers version uses the same connecting method as an air compressor hose and allows each half to rotate freely on ball bearings (with no built in way to lock it down so that could be an issue). I can't speak for the strength of any of the mass produced saber-staff couplers so spin and duel at your own risk, lol.

What about air tool connectors? My friend and I were considering using those to build a quick disconnect for a double bladed lightsaber.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back