New Roger Christian Interview

They were hard plastic just like all the replica stuff today. The method to get them on the Sterlings was exactly what we do now. I'm 100% sure on it.

i missed all the action yesterday. i have practically given up on the history of the T track because there is so many different versions of the story. but surprises me more is that he said the D ring was "screwed" on

R.C. doesnt like screws in the grips because it be littles the jedi weapon, but he doesnt mind using it on the D ring :wacko i personally like the riveting the D ring on, it looks much cleaner to me

U know I was just thinking... doesn't the track on the sterling and the track on the saber match?

If roger is saying he had to hunt down different track because he ran out of it on the sterlings. He even mentions it's hard and thought to be from a whole different application

Doesn't that contradict what we see today? Matching track?

I'm a little confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see people here having sourced different things that are t-tracks. It's not a huge mystery ay more though-- I'm more interested in the fact that d-ring was possibly screwed on.

I see people here having sourced different things that are t-tracks. It's not a huge mystery ay more though-- I'm more interested in the fact that d-ring was possibly screwed on.

I'm working on a custom saber now and I'm having a very hard time finding half inch T shaped ANYTHING. Seriously, maybe I'm missing something

I guess you and I now have the same outlook

Hopefully one day the real Excalibur will show up and put a end to all these questions

I'm working on a custom saber now and I'm having a very hard time finding half inch T shaped ANYTHING. Seriously, maybe I'm missing something

A few things have popped up here and on the Graflex FB group, but people seem to keep quiet about it... like it's a Rolls Royce Jet engine or something...

U know I was just thinking... doesn't the track on the sterling and the track on the saber match?

If roger is saying he had to hunt down different track because he ran out of it on the sterlings. He even mentions it's hard and thought to be from a whole different application

Doesn't that contradict what we see today? Matching track?

I'm a little confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its does/did match yes. Putting word of mouth stories aside, there's enough photographic evidence to show it's exactly the same stuff.

its does/did match yes. Putting word of mouth stories aside, there's enough photographic evidence to show it's exactly the same stuff.

I've seen pics of the ROTJ Fett blaster that used plastic tracks, but I'm not sure about the E-11 made for ANH. I know Bapty's had to replace the tracks for the ones they discovered because the old ones had decayed.

Also, I forgot to mention I asked him if he remembered the strips he used had channels already underneath them, since the Saberfreak ones I gave him had a flat underside. He replied, "Mine didn't have it as wasn't made for the job. I used whatever I could get my hands on. I suspect that's why they stuck rivets in the Empire Strikes Back one. I may have tried to sand down under a little to help it stick. Mine were only stuck with superglue."

Last edited:

That's what I thought, so what are the chances of him finding the same exact thing in rubber and hard plastic?

And now knowing he didn't physically find the track originally, do u think maybe the rubber take was simply molded and cast?

The stories just doesn't make sense to me, it's getting way too confusing

I can think of examples of various things that are produced in different materials. Nylon screws vs metal screws. How many things do you own a cheap plastic copy of a nice thing that is metal?

Something like cabinet track could easily come hard or soft. Hard pre-sized pieced for exact jobs, or soft on a roll for custom work. One could be a lot cheaper than the other.

I can also see how draft excluder stripping could be swapped out if it's the same the same approximate size. Even though I have never found a match for t-track like lightsaber grips, I have seen, for example, several different U-tracks of various materials for various purposes.

I'm prone to believe Scott when he says the original grips were hard, but I also think that there's some truth to Roger saying they scrounged for similar parts.

Last edited:
I've tried superglue. It has no purchase on the Graflex surface. The grips break off with the slightest handling.

Vintage black rigid tracks which nobody has found yet, right? I do hope one of us will find it and put this debate to rest finally.

In the meantime, I made an interesting find today. For the past couple of weeks, I've been compiling a list of really old hardware stores in every town in Malaysia, with the hope that like Saberfreak, I might also stumble upon one that might have these old vintage t-tracks. Visit after visit yielded no result, most had aluminum "t profiles" (that's what these shops called them) which were also wrongly shaped. Today, I came across a shop that actually had some strips still in stock! Not only are they brown like Saberfreak's, they were also really old. The old lady behind the counter said I was the first person to hold or even ask about those tracks in a looooong time. :p Anyway, I bought a strip for comparison and took these pics. Mind you I only had a piece of Saberfreak's track leftover and an old rubber Blast-tech track for comparison.

rps20170919_003725.jpg
rps20170919_003743.jpg

As you can see, the base width is similar to Saberfreak's, but the center profile is tapered and slightly thinner. But vintage being vintage, I may just replace all the grips on my sabers and blasters with these. :)

Vintage black rigid tracks which nobody has found yet, right? I do hope one of us will find it and put this debate to rest finally.

In the meantime, I made an interesting find today. For the past couple of weeks, I've been compiling a list of really old hardware stores in every town in Malaysia, with the hope that like Saberfreak, I might also stumble upon one that might have these old vintage t-tracks. Visit after visit yielded no result, most had aluminum "t profiles" (that's what these shops called them) which were also wrongly shaped. Today, I came across a shop that actually had some strips still in stock! Not only are they brown like Saberfreak's, they were also really old. The old lady behind the counter said I was the first person to hold or even ask about those tracks in a looooong time. :p Anyway, I bought a strip for comparison and took these pics. Mind you I only had a piece of Saberfreak's track leftover and an old rubber Blast-tech track for comparison.

View attachment 759630
View attachment 759631

As you can see, the base width is similar to Saberfreak's, but the center profile is tapered and slightly thinner. But vintage being vintage, I may just replace all the grips on my sabers and blasters with these. :)

Awesome! I hope it goes without saying, if they have a large stock... sorry haha

Is it possible when Roger said he “screwed” the D ring on the bottom he was just speaking colloquially as opposed to explaining a rivet was used? (I have no horse in this screw/rivet race, just a thought...)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back