New Roger Christian Interview

Seems like the shape of the painted black grips resembles rather close that of the brown T-track
provided by Saberfreak ... or does it not?

Chaïm

Since we were talking about Roger Christian's Graflex replica in this thread I thought I'd add this photo I just found on the google. It seems to be the same one he's holding in the radio interview videos, and the photo is credited to him. I came across it here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/15/entertainment/gallery/roger-christian-star-wars/index.html

View attachment 732730

thank you for sharing!! if i ever do a ANH saber, I'm going this route! straight grips, a Christian edition! :thumbsup

Kalkamel gave Roger a roll of the brown T-track a few years ago.

Yup.

10694436_772178319506198_2554295911650415309_o.jpg

Don´t forget he´s a old man, and his memory is probably not as correct as we would like. Over the years the details might get mixed.

I give not much for his comments.

Indeed. In his "Cinema Alchemist" book he said: "The first weapon I ever made on Star Wars the Stormtrooper gun - Adapted from a Stirling submachine gun with rubber T-strips and army rangefinders glued on"

Book Cinema Alchemist 01.jpg Book Cinema Alchemist 02.jpg

Roger has made 3 comments on the grips right?

- cupboard (did roger actual say that or what this a fan discovery?)
- wind extruder strips
- rubber t trips

The first cupboard mention I know of was an RPF member who told a story about how, as a kid, he called up Elstree to try to learn how to make a lightsaber. I forget who that was, but he said he was "calling from California" and the guy who answered thought that meant he was with Lucasfilm. The mistake was discovered soon enough, but not before they gave vital prop information.

Roger has made 3 comments on the grips right?

- cupboard (did roger actual say that or what this a fan discovery?)
- wind extruder strips
- rubber t trips
Are wind extruder strips and rubber t strips necessarily describing different things? Rubber t strips seams like a general description of material and shape, not a specific function.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

The first cupboard mention I know of was an RPF member who told a story about how, as a kid, he called up Elstree to try to learn how to make a lightsaber. I forget who that was, but he said he was "calling from California" and the guy who answered thought that meant he was with Lucasfilm. The mistake was discovered soon enough, but not before they gave vital prop information.

Get out of here! Now isn't that something!! I never heard that before, wicked cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also remember the RPF member that posted this story. He did it over one weekend in about 6 or 7 different posts as a short story. They were actually going to "overnight" him some parts to build one (over $600.00 back in the late 1970's) until they figured out who he really was. I think his name was Mike Key, user name was "MK" I believe.

- Jim

I also remember the RPF member that posted this story. He did it over one weekend in about 6 or 7 different posts as a short story. They were actually going to "overnight" him some parts to build one (over $600.00 back in the late 1970's) until they figured out who he really was. I think his name was Mike Key, user name was "MK" I believe.

- Jim

Wow!! Isn't that something!!!

Thanks for clarifying that Roy, even with this update I still don't have a clue to what that is suppose to be lol

I think "draft excluder" is a fancy way of saying "weather stripping" - I believe he was talking about the weather stripping that you would find around a car door... where the inner door surfaces mate with the car body surfaces you have that rubber stripping that creates a seal. Hence "draft excluder" = it keeps drafts out.

Which again, even though this info comes from Roger Christian, until someone finds an example, it can't really be confirmed. Whereas with the MK cabinet t-track story, people have found examples of the vintage material out in the wild.

I think "draft excluder" is a fancy way of saying "weather stripping" - I believe he was talking about the weather stripping that you would find around a car door... where the inner door surfaces mate with the car body surfaces you have that rubber stripping that creates a seal. Hence "draft excluder" = it keeps drafts out.

I agree completely, I remember when the reddit was live and he mentioned that. I thought of window gasket track

I agree completely, I remember when the reddit was live and he mentioned that. I thought of window gasket track

Afterwards, I've been checking vintage English car parts online. I even went to a specialized UK oldtimer garage and talked to the owner. He didn't recognize the T-track and he offered me to look in his vintage car parts catalog, but I didn't find anything even remotely close.
Since then, I'm more determined it must have been vintage cabinet tracks.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back