Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    May 29, 2017, 12:18 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #76

SethS said: View Post
    That's more to do with the fact most screen caps are second or third generation. Most are likely pulled from presentation media like VHS, DVD, blue-ray, etc. As HD as blue ray may be, even a 4k presentation has been through coloring and other post processing. There's no such thing as a duplication that doesn't lose something.\

BTS stuff could be anything-- still 35, an instamatic, old school 610. None of which is lit properly for archiving.

But if we had the original unaltered film negatives, those would blow up very very well.
    From what I recall first run films when they actually used film in the theaters were noticably less sharp than current digital projection. Even first run films had several factors that could degrade the sharpness like the print, projector, screen, etc. I'm sure the film makers were aware of what level of detail was likely to be seen. I don't think they worried about anyone getting access to perfect copies of the negatives.

But then again they also put stunt and hero stormtrooper helmets next to each other in the same scene, so I don't think continuity and small details were high priorities.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    May 29, 2017, 12:26 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #77

Presentation prints pre-digital are still a couple generations down. The movie stock would be negative film, which would have an inter-positive made for editing and optical work too be made. Sometimes copies were struck from that, or if there was time and money, the original negative would be edited, and from that a presentation master would be made. That would then be duped over and over again for distribution.

Digital certainly crushes film in terms of losing less quality over generations, but it still happens. That said, If we went back to the camera negative, the resolution would be better than HD.

Also, we should keep in mind that every iteration of the OT that's been released since 97 is from the scanning done for the special edition. I could be wrong, but I don't think they've re-scanned it for blue ray specifically. The 97 scan was good enough for 4k even if media at the time was not since they did it for theatrical. ALSO ALSO, I don't know how much of the original stock for ANH even exists these days.
    May 29, 2017, 1:17 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #78

All of the original stock for ANH still exists. Much of it had turned magenta, though, and has been replaced in the edited negative with either highly processed copies of that footage or from preservation materials made from it in 77. All the pieces are stored though.
  4. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    May 29, 2017, 3:00 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #79

SethS said: View Post
    Presentation prints pre-digital are still a couple generations down. The movie stock would be negative film, which would have an inter-positive made for editing and optical work too be made. Sometimes copies were struck from that, or if there was time and money, the original negative would be edited, and from that a presentation master would be made. That would then be duped over and over again for distribution.

Digital certainly crushes film in terms of losing less quality over generations, but it still happens. That said, If we went back to the camera negative, the resolution would be better than HD.

Also, we should keep in mind that every iteration of the OT that's been released since 97 is from the scanning done for the special edition. I could be wrong, but I don't think they've re-scanned it for blue ray specifically. The 97 scan was good enough for 4k even if media at the time was not since they did it for theatrical. ALSO ALSO, I don't know how much of the original stock for ANH even exists these days.
    I agree with what we end up seeing on screen being degraded in the film days. Unfortunately that is pretty much the best we have available for those films. Based on that I disagree with people who say 35mm is higher resolution than current digital. It could be if you have access to the pristine original source, but we don't.

From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    May 31, 2017, 12:33 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #80

Since we were talking about Roger Christian's Graflex replica in this thread I thought I'd add this photo I just found on the google. It seems to be the same one he's holding in the radio interview videos, and the photo is credited to him. I came across it here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/15/entert...ars/index.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roger-christian-lightsaber.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	732730
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 31, 2017, 7:26 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #81

Seems like the shape of the painted black grips resembles rather close that of the brown T-track
    provided by Saberfreak ... or does it not?

Cham
    May 31, 2017, 7:31 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #82

Kalkamel gave Roger a roll of the brown T-track a few years ago.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 1, 2017, 12:02 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #83

Jedi Reali said: View Post
    Since we were talking about Roger Christian's Graflex replica in this thread I thought I'd add this photo I just found on the google. It seems to be the same one he's holding in the radio interview videos, and the photo is credited to him. I came across it here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/15/entert...ars/index.html

Name:	roger-christian-lightsaber.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	732730
    thank you for sharing!! if i ever do a ANH saber, I'm going this route! straight grips, a Christian edition!
    From
    Malaysia
    Jun 1, 2017, 4:13 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #84

scarf man said: View Post
    Kalkamel gave Roger a roll of the brown T-track a few years ago.
    Yup.

Name:	10694436_772178319506198_2554295911650415309_o.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	733003
    Jun 10, 2017, 1:21 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #85

Oops. Wrong thread.
    From
    Dracula's Castle
    Jun 11, 2017, 4:50 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #86

Lichtbringer said: View Post
    Dont forget hes a old man, and his memory is probably not as correct as we would like. Over the years the details might get mixed.

I give not much for his comments.
    Indeed. In his "Cinema Alchemist" book he said: "The first weapon I ever made on Star Wars the Stormtrooper gun - Adapted from a Stirling submachine gun with rubber T-strips and army rangefinders glued on"

Name:	Book Cinema Alchemist 01.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	735493 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Book Cinema Alchemist 02.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	735494
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 11, 2017, 12:10 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #87

Roger has made 3 comments on the grips right?

- cupboard (did roger actual say that or what this a fan discovery?)
    - wind extruder strips
    - rubber t trips
    Jun 11, 2017, 10:35 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #88

The first cupboard mention I know of was an RPF member who told a story about how, as a kid, he called up Elstree to try to learn how to make a lightsaber. I forget who that was, but he said he was "calling from California" and the guy who answered thought that meant he was with Lucasfilm. The mistake was discovered soon enough, but not before they gave vital prop information.
  14. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Jun 11, 2017, 11:18 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #89

halliwax said: View Post

- wind extruder strips
    - rubber t trips
    Are wind extruder strips and rubber t strips necessarily describing different things? Rubber t strips seams like a general description of material and shape, not a specific function.

15. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Jun 12, 2017, 2:25 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #90

- wind extruder strips
    - rubber t trips
    I believe he called it 'draught excluder profile'.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 12, 2017, 3:26 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #91

Treadwell said: View Post
    The first cupboard mention I know of was an RPF member who told a story about how, as a kid, he called up Elstree to try to learn how to make a lightsaber. I forget who that was, but he said he was "calling from California" and the guy who answered thought that meant he was with Lucasfilm. The mistake was discovered soon enough, but not before they gave vital prop information.
    Get out of here! Now isn't that something!! I never heard that before, wicked cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 12, 2017, 3:26 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #92

roygilsing said: View Post
    I believe he called it 'draught excluder profile'.
    Thanks for clarifying that Roy, even with this update I still don't have a clue to what that is suppose to be lol

18. Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Georgia
    Jun 12, 2017, 7:30 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #93

Treadwell said: View Post
    I also remember the RPF member that posted this story. He did it over one weekend in about 6 or 7 different posts as a short story. They were actually going to "overnight" him some parts to build one (over $600.00 back in the late 1970's) until they figured out who he really was. I think his name was Mike Key, user name was "MK" I believe.

- Jim
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 12, 2017, 8:38 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #94

THX1138 said: View Post
    I also remember the RPF member that posted this story. He did it over one weekend in about 6 or 7 different posts as a short story. They were actually going to "overnight" him some parts to build one (over $600.00 back in the late 1970's) until they figured out who he really was. I think his name was Mike Key, user name was "MK" I believe.

- Jim
    Wow!! Isn't that something!!!

20. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    Jun 12, 2017, 2:13 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #95

Thanks for clarifying that Roy, even with this update I still don't have a clue to what that is suppose to be lol
    I think "draft excluder" is a fancy way of saying "weather stripping" - I believe he was talking about the weather stripping that you would find around a car door... where the inner door surfaces mate with the car body surfaces you have that rubber stripping that creates a seal. Hence "draft excluder" = it keeps drafts out.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jun 12, 2017, 2:25 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #96

Which again, even though this info comes from Roger Christian, until someone finds an example, it can't really be confirmed. Whereas with the MK cabinet t-track story, people have found examples of the vintage material out in the wild.
  22. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Jun 12, 2017, 2:32 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #97

It's possible that he found something that was not labeled and has incorrectly called it something it isn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 12, 2017, 4:42 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #98

D48thRonin said: View Post
    I think "draft excluder" is a fancy way of saying "weather stripping" - I believe he was talking about the weather stripping that you would find around a car door... where the inner door surfaces mate with the car body surfaces you have that rubber stripping that creates a seal. Hence "draft excluder" = it keeps drafts out.
    I agree completely, I remember when the reddit was live and he mentioned that. I thought of window gasket track

24. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Jun 12, 2017, 5:44 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #99

I agree completely, I remember when the reddit was live and he mentioned that. I thought of window gasket track
    Afterwards, I've been checking vintage English car parts online. I even went to a specialized UK oldtimer garage and talked to the owner. He didn't recognize the T-track and he offered me to look in his vintage car parts catalog, but I didn't find anything even remotely close.
    Since then, I'm more determined it must have been vintage cabinet tracks.
    Jun 12, 2017, 6:28 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #100

ggriffaw said: View Post
    It's possible that he found something that was not labeled and has incorrectly called it something it isn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    This is a good point. He may not even know what it was.