Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  May 27, 2017, 11:28 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #51

thd9791 said: View Post
    I was under the impression they had to put tape on it for ESB because now the movie was a big deal, and they had to be careful and not get sued
    But wasn't the Graflex company out of business for many years by that point? What would the problem be?
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    4 Weeks Ago  May 27, 2017, 11:30 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #52

D48thRonin said: View Post
    But wasn't the Graflex company out of business for many years by that point? What would the problem be?
    fair point...if that was the case, why put tape on there at all? I assume the Shared Stunt's clamp just got rusty, its upside down anyways lol
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  May 27, 2017, 11:41 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #53

I think they put the tape on it in ESB simply because it got some close-ups and they didn't want to draw too much attention to it. Of course they left the end cap visible, but hey 50% is better than zero.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  May 27, 2017, 11:46 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #54

Look at the clamp in this photo. The cutouts on the side should clearly be visible but they're not there. I can make them out in Tunisia photos though. What if they covered the clamp for the hut scene, since that was the saber's reveal. The prop makers would've known that it was important in that scene, but they might not have known how closely it would be seen on camera. They may have taken extra care to conceal the name then, in case it got a closeup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luke-obiwan-peering-into-lightsaber.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	732022
  5. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  May 27, 2017, 11:53 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #55

fair point...if that was the case, why put tape on there at all?
    I think the concern would have been that there shouldn't be English letters on an object that was from "A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." Not that they should have been all that worried since a.) they weren't shooting on HD video back then and b.) you never got a really close look at it in the film.

I assume the Shared Stunt's clamp just got rusty, its upside down anyways lol
    I believe that the consensus is that the Shared Stunt got the addition of the tape after production, when it was spruced up for exhibition starting in 1993.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 12:00 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #56

I believe that the consensus is that the Shared Stunt got the addition of the tape after production, when it was spruced up for exhibition starting in 1993.
    Here it is chrome tapeless during filming:

Name:	luke captive v3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	732023
  7. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 12:02 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #57

Jedi Reali said: View Post
    Look at the clamp in this photo. The cutouts on the side should clearly be visible but they're not there.
    Sure looks that way...

Name:	luke obi wan hut saber.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	732024
  8. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 2:28 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #58

halliwax said: View Post
    roy is gonna love what he hears at 1:50
    yes, I heard him mentioning tape many times already.
  9. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 3:29 AM - New Roger Christian Interview #59

If there was tape on it during filming it probably covered the entire clamp band, Shared Stunt Luke style. Nowhere can we see the telltale shiny strip like in ESB screencaps.
    Yes, we were talking about a tape covering the entire clamp. The fact that the grooves and text are only just noticeable shows that to me. On any vintage clamp both logo letters and grooves are way more pronounced. If you cover it entirely with tape and handle it for a while, the embossed details will faintly show, just as in the image. I am not convinced at all that it's the light playing tricks here. Combined with Roger's recollection, it is very obvious to me.
    The rectangular holes seem cut out from the tape.

On the right side of the right rectangle, you can also see some of the tape being torn. And on the left side of clamp you can see some wrinkles in the tape. The X from GRAFLEX is barely noticeable, only faintly, which without the tape wouldn't be possible in my opinion.

I'm not at home right now (I'm in Paris), but when I'm back, I'll do some tests.
    Last edited by roygilsing; 4 Weeks Ago at 4:01 AM.
    From
    Germany
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 4:50 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #60

Dont forget hes a old man, and his memory is probably not as correct as we would like. Over the years the details might get mixed.

I give not much for his comments.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 6:39 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #61

Sofar nobody has mentioned the rattling of Roger's loose D-ring in that second video ... and we do know that Luke wiggles his lightsaber on one of his fingers however shortly that is visible and seen on screen

I know that Roger was given a role (yes when long enough it can bend and be roled up) of brown vintage T-track by Saberfreak (if my recollection is up-to-date) which he as mentioned in an online direct-interview, he intended to use to recreate the former 'T-strips' as he calls them on his own vintage G R A F L E X, whether or not let over from production back in 1976, ... so there's one mystery cleared as far as those T-tracks are concerned

As much as I love your debate of the tape on the clamp ... we still have to make the distinction what is seen on the silver screen and what is captured in still pictures after production finished ... so until one of you with a bluray or even better a laser disc (which has the original theatrical release from 1977) screen cap can prove once and for all that tape is used in the movie ... I remain skeptical and in doubt

Cham
    From
    UK / Japan
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 7:52 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #62

YUP!! i found that funny since that was a hot topic yesterday! lol

there ya go seth! i think thats enough proof to back you up!
    How old is the video? On a reddit AMA he mentioned the t-track possibly being from old car weather seals the day after we hypothesized it in a thread here - he was likely reading our theories to fill his memory gaps IMO
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 8:30 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #63

Roger Christian has already proved himself to be completely unreliable about this stuff. I'd take everything he says with a grain of salt.
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 9:21 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #64

mortifactor said: View Post
    How old is the video? On a reddit AMA he mentioned the t-track possibly being from old car weather seals the day after we hypothesized it in a thread here - he was likely reading our theories to fill his memory gaps IMO
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/co...me_as_the_set/
    That was me that asked him about the T-track.

He said concerning my ANH Obi, "its the best replica I've ever seen"
    .http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...=1#post3274217
    Well, to be fair, Kalkamel's ANH Obi,
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 12:56 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #65

As far as his memory potentially being hazy, there's not much to remember about this prop. It had to be one of the simplest he's ever made once he found the right object. Only three small additions were needed to make it a lightsaber, and he seems to remember more about it because it was so different and important to get right. I could see not remembering where the t-track came from, or any myriad of details about the Obi-Wan saber, but if tape was a fourth addition to the Graflex it seems straightforward enough.

I was pretty solidly in the no tape camp until now. I didn't see what Roy was seeing on page one but I could see it being possible now. Also how do you explain the "Luke peering into saber" photo? It's funny, that photo's been around forever and I never scrutinized the clamp on it before.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 1:07 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #66

roygilsing said: View Post
    Yes, we were talking about a tape covering the entire clamp. The fact that the grooves and text are only just noticeable shows that to me. On any vintage clamp both logo letters and grooves are way more pronounced. If you cover it entirely with tape and handle it for a while, the embossed details will faintly show, just as in the image. I am not convinced at all that it's the light playing tricks here. Combined with Roger's recollection, it is very obvious to me.
    The rectangular holes seem cut out from the tape.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac4184c6cb.jpg

On the right side of the right rectangle, you can also see some of the tape being torn. And on the left side of clamp you can see some wrinkles in the tape. The X from GRAFLEX is barely noticeable, only faintly, which without the tape wouldn't be possible in my opinion.

I'm not at home right now (I'm in Paris), but when I'm back, I'll do some tests.
    We were wondering if this is a newly released pic, but I just released it's a higher res version of the one that's been on partsofsw since the internet was invented.

Also-- I just spun the tape debate into a new thread...
    Last edited by SethS; 4 Weeks Ago at 1:18 PM.
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 4:16 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #67

they weren't shooting on HD video back then
    Darn tootin' they weren't. They were shooting on 35mm film which captures more image detail than HD video.
    Last edited by Treadwell; 4 Weeks Ago at 4:36 PM.
    From
    Australia
    4 Weeks Ago  May 28, 2017, 9:14 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #68

As far as his memory potentially being hazy, there's not much to remember about this prop. It had to be one of the simplest he's ever made once he found the right object. Only three small additions were needed to make it a lightsaber, and he seems to remember more about it because it was so different and important to get right. I could see not remembering where the t-track came from, or any myriad of details about the Obi-Wan saber, but if tape was a fourth addition to the Graflex it seems straightforward enough.

I was pretty solidly in the no tape camp until now. I didn't see what Roy was seeing on page one but I could see it being possible now. Also how do you explain the "Luke peering into saber" photo? It's funny, that photo's been around forever and I never scrutinized the clamp on it before.
    Agreed. @matty matt, I wonder how many folk here who are around 60 years old or above (like me) remember the precise details of things they did 40 years ago in a rushed, work environment and as @Jedi Reali said, its a simple prop..
    Last edited by KramStaar; 3 Weeks Ago at 6:12 AM.
    From
    Irvine California
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2017, 2:33 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #69

We need to ask him about the mystery box on the Macros. Worth a shot.
    From
    Germany
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2017, 5:07 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #70

No one blames him for being old (not around 60, he should be like my Dad, around 73), and not remembering correctly.
    It's just stating that his memory is not as trustable as some would like.
  21. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2017, 7:42 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #71

Treadwell said: View Post
    Darn tootin' they weren't. They were shooting on 35mm film which captures more image detail than HD video.
    In theory that may be possible, but the OT screen caps sure look more fuzzy, grainy, and are harder to see fine details than the more recent films.

I seriously doubt they were too worried about tiny details being visible on props that don't get close ups. But they may not have known if Luke's saber would get close ups or not when the props were first built. It's possible the one he built to show George had the tape, then they decided the rest did not need tape.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
  22. RPF Premium Member Stormy320's Avatar
    From
    Pasadena, CA
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2017, 9:59 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #72

That was a great article. He is the guy that got us to the RPF. If it was t for him the RPF may not exist. I would think he is well aware of us.

Didn't realize his book was out as I had been hearing about it for years!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2017, 10:34 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #73

you know... all seriousness. those grips sure look a lot like Roys. anyone else notice that?
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2017, 10:42 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #74

ggriffaw said: View Post
    In theory that may be possible, but the OT screen caps sure look more fuzzy, grainy, and are harder to see fine details than the more recent films.

I seriously doubt they were too worried about tiny details being visible on props that don't get close ups. But they may not have known if Luke's saber would get close ups or not when the props were first built. It's possible the one he built to show George had the tape, then they decided the rest did not need tape.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    That's more to do with the fact most screen caps are second or third generation. Most are likely pulled from presentation media like VHS, DVD, blue-ray, etc. As HD as blue ray may be, even a 4k presentation has been through coloring and other post processing. There's no such thing as a duplication that doesn't lose something.\

BTS stuff could be anything-- still 35, an instamatic, old school 610. None of which is lit properly for archiving.

But if we had the original unaltered film negatives, those would blow up very very well.
  25. Utini! RPF Premium Member TIGCreations's Avatar
    From
    Coruscant
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2017, 10:48 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #75

you know... all seriousness. those grips sure look a lot like Roys. anyone else notice that?
    Well, it's pretty accurate (Roy's tracks) so I'd think it would.