Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con

I don't see why it would affect other cons. This wasn't an overzealous cosplayer trying to carry real weapons, it was a nutbag targeting police. The venue is not relevant.

I agree.

Though given how the media loves to use things like this to whip everyone into a frenzy, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a tightening of restrictions at least at the bigger, more high profile cons around the country.

It was not a coaplayer, the guy was intending to harm police. Luckily he was putting stuff on FB like post pics of cops he was planning to kill and someone on his friends list contacted the police. He had real knives, 3 handguns and a shotgun. He was wearing body armor as well. He was able to seemlessly blend into the con crowd. Now all weapons of any kind, foam, cardboard, shields, even GB proton packs are banned. They've reduced entrance to just a couple of doors now with bag inspection and metal detectors. Most are asking for refunds.

Several other cons have already put our statements they do not plan to follow suit. I know some cons with weekend like MCM increased security after the concert bombing. Ours did not.

It was not a coaplayer,
abc is reporting that he was a cosplayer, dressed as Rambo, and the video I saw where they took him away, did look like that. He had a bandana on his head. I guess they didn't have any metal detectors set-up before this? They were just asking for a problem, he should have never been allowed into the Con.

Updated list on con policy. Proton packs are ok but lightsabers still banned? Empty quivers but no bows.

"Good morning all,

There are many outstanding questions from our announcement yesterday. We now have UPDATES, including the prohibited item list as determined and approved by the Phoenix Convention Center and Phoenix Police Department:

Please arrive with plenty of time. Our enhanced security procedures include magnetic wand and backpack checks. There will be lines and we appreciate your patience and understanding.

The three access points for entrance into the Convention Center with those who have a valid badge:

West Building entrance at 2nd Street, between Washington and Monroe.
Third Street at Washington
Third Street at Monroe

For those who need to collect their badge from registration you will ONLY be able to use the access point at Third Street at Monroe.
Con on Third will no longer be open to the public, and will require a valid badge to enter.

You may request a refund by emailing refund@phoenixcomicon.com. As all staff and crew are onsite running the convention we will not beginning responding until after Phoenix Comicon and anticipate it may take thirty days or longer to fully process all refund requests. Please be patience and thank you for your understanding.

The following is the prohibited item list at the Phoenix Convention Center during Phoenix Comicon as determined by the Convention Center and Police Department that has been drafted and approved this morning. This language is direct from them, and we hope will answer many of the questions and concerns that came up in the past eighteen hours.

“In an effort to ensure the safety and wellbeing off all our guests, the following items are prohibited at the Phoenix Convention Center during Phoenix Comicon 2017:

Alcoholic Beverages
Illegal drugs
Weapons of all types including Simulated Weapons. Examples of prohibited weapons and simulated (Prop weapons) weapons include:

Edged weapons (swords, knifes, throwing stars etc.)
Impact weapons (clubs, bats, staffs, nunchaku, shields,
hammers and martial arts weapons)
Firearms
Archery weapons (cross bows and bolts, bows and arrows of all
types)
Weapons from fictional sources (Light sabers, plasma weapons,
laser, phasers etc.)

We thank you for your understanding. Have a great time at Comicon.”
Wands, sonic screwdrivers, plushies, masks, fairy wings, empty holsters, signs attached to costumes, fur suits, cardboard made costumes and non-weapon props, dishware associated with costumes, empty quivers, hats and helmets, Power Ranger Morphers, and umbrellas, by example, are allowed.
Ghostbuster proton packs are allowed however the Neutrino wand will need to be disconnected or permanently attached to the pack.
Any items not specifically listed here are subject to security discretion and may or may not be allowed.

We understand these are last minute changes as a result of recent events.

We appreciate your patience as we continue to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all our patrons and we look forward to a great event.

Matthew Solberg
Convention Director"

Again this will change the venues rules NOT the convention rules. They rent the space for their Con. The venue sets policy and rules regarding weapons. The Con planners abide by these rules and pass it on to attendees.

Any laws that involve public spaces such as outside on sidewalks, to and from parking structures, etc. is mandated by city, county, or state laws.

Venues may start changing their rules which will in turn cause Con planners to stiffen up their rules or completely ban any sort of weapon prop regardless of what it is made of. If it looks real it is banned. That way there is no room for doubt in the eyes of the security personnel.

So it took someone telling them this guy had real weapons? At our con here we had to go through a weapons check, specifically to avoid this kind of thing. Did they not have that there? Were they just letting anybody walk in without looking at them first?

I thought Cosplay weapons had orange markers on them to notify the environment that these weapons are make-believe? Doesn't that suffice for a Comic Con,or did they ban those as well?

I thought Cosplay weapons had orange markers on them to notify the environment that these weapons are make-believe? Doesn't that suffice for a Comic Con,or did they ban those as well?

So easy to put something orange on real weapon though. Hell a lot of Star Wars weapons are doctored up firearms.
I think they just need to add a security inspection for those coming in costume with weapons props. Just adapt. TSA sucks but we can still fly, most conventions a small percentage of attendees come in costume anyways.

I'd hate to have a costume with a built in weapon, like Barret from Final Fantasy 7, having a gun arm. Kinda ruins the whole point of it.
But there you go, only takes a person to mess it up for everyone.

As I speculated on another forum, I'm assuming that this is a temporary stop-gap, to aid con/venue/police security (not having to guess if something is real or not), and to avoid panic from the general attendees who may not know if something is real or not.

In the "off season" they'll take a look at various options, and come up with a more comprehensive/appropriate rule change.

Posted this in the JDF thread, but thought I'd post here too.

I accidentally walked the floor this year at SWC with a rather large knife left in my backpack. My backpack is the type where you open the main pocket and then it has that extra laptop space or whatever it is. Well, the security lady at the door made me unzip the bag, looked at it as I walked through the metal detector, and then she just handed it to me on the other side.

Obviously I had no ill intent and didn't even realize my mistake until I was leaving in my car, but the fact that it even happened was a clear sign to me that conventions need stricter security. If any idiot can smuggle a weapon in on accident, I'm damn sure someone with intent to harm people could too.

Is banning all prop weapons the answer? I don't know.. maybe? Something should be done and it is a start.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back