Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. P.I.F.? IT'S ALIVE!!!! RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    May 30, 2017, 2:25 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #26

I know this is a sore and touchy subject for the cosplay/costuming community, and they will forever see it as PC Bulls*** and the typical "Knee-jerk" reaction, but in all seriousness... A guy trying to get into the con and admitting he planned to kill someone... one week earlier someone walks into a concert and detonates a bomb.... what do you think is going to start happening?

Look at it from the side of non costumers and the police. They don't know what that prop gun or rifle is in your hands. It could be real. yes they can check them out one by one, but what if a small one slipped in? There is a guy who made a firing 3-D print gun last year. The future is scary. A costume that looks like armor could possibly be armor. A costume vest that has wires and whatnot could be a bomb. Nobody really knows until it is too late. So they are trying to put precautions in place and I for one cannot blame them.
  2. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    May 30, 2017, 2:45 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #27

Nothing will stop a determined person. An outright ban will only rain on the 99.99%.

"Oh crap......there is a no weapons ban today. I guess I cant shoot up the place." Said no evil person ever.

Im for BETTER security. The security got punked by this guy as he came in an unsecured door. Ive seen cons that make you zip tie your gun in the holster. As for rifles, they can use 'no tamper' tape. Or use some sort of common sense like It cannot resemble a common gun IE Star War E-11. If it does, your gun gets a zip tie and 'no tamper' tape.
    Last edited by Lear60man; May 30, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
    From
    Killoughrim, ireland
    May 30, 2017, 3:24 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #28

Moviefreak said: View Post
    I know this is a sore and touchy subject for the cosplay/costuming community, and they will forever see it as PC Bulls*** and the typical "Knee-jerk" reaction, but in all seriousness... A guy trying to get into the con and admitting he planned to kill someone... one week earlier someone walks into a concert and detonates a bomb.... what do you think is going to start happening?

Look at it from the side of non costumers and the police. They don't know what that prop gun or rifle is in your hands. It could be real. yes they can check them out one by one, but what if a small one slipped in? There is a guy who made a firing 3-D print gun last year. The future is scary. A costume that looks like armor could possibly be armor. A costume vest that has wires and whatnot could be a bomb. Nobody really knows until it is too late. So they are trying to put precautions in place and I for one cannot blame them.
    the bomb was detonated outside the Manchester Arena, not inside. no amount of security inside a venue will stop violence outside it.

what is been done will not prevent someone wearing normal street clothes with a hand gun tucked in the back of their pants walk into the show hall and open fire. Only by having properly trained security staff and not unpaid volunteers, so the organizers can save money. its the only way to make cons safe from idiots.

unfortunately no amount of security will stop someone willing to die.
  4. P.I.F.? IT'S ALIVE!!!! RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    May 30, 2017, 3:31 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #29

breen2057 said: View Post
    the bomb was detonated outside the Manchester Arena, not inside. no amount of security inside a venue will stop violence outside it.

what is been done will not prevent someone wearing normal street clothes with a hand gun tucked in the back of their pants walk into the show hall and open fire. Only by having properly trained security staff and not unpaid volunteers, so the organizers can save money. its the only way to make cons safe from idiots.

unfortunately no amount of security will stop someone willing to die.
    I get all of that... you cannot stop a determined individual, but you can make it harder. I was just saying that with each new attack and each new mass killing we see, be prepared for tighter rules. Even if the event happened outside of the costume community, but even more so if it happens at a con event... times will be changing. The day will come when not only replica weapons are banned, but masks and helmets in general. When you can walk around in state of anonymity, and they start worrying that people could do harm, hide, remove costume and proceed out the door... the game will change. I am not saying that is right and I am not looking to debate someone who says it will never happen, but the direction we are headed, one day you will see these event holders setting those types of rules.
    From
    The Land of Giant Oaks,ca
    May 30, 2017, 7:40 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #30

It all comes down to having the proper kind of security practices needed at this day and time....extremists will always ruin it for everyone.....if a Con I go to doesn't search, metal scan me.....I may not enter....but ban props due to there inadiquit security.....that's wrong.....I see the point of Phoenix having Ultrasabers leave due to issues,but they should refund there sat-sun rental due to their decision to come back later and say" leave"....THATS AN AFTERTHOUGHT.....YOU THINK....I hope they can work it out or otherwise work it out in court....

I own a local Smog Shop that is regulated by the State of California.....and recently a customer come in..smooged his car he just bought....it failed ....then later in the day after driving it awhile saw another shop that posted no pass no pay....tested his car....it passed....and now I'm fighting over 46.00 with the credit card company because he disputed it....its not the 46 dollars....its the principle of the matter that always prevails....its already cost me 28 dollars in faxing fees at FedEx office.....I just cant stand for this kind of attitude so with Ultrasabers I feel for them....I think the Con management made the right and wrong call......
    Last edited by mikid; May 30, 2017 at 7:46 PM.
  6. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    May 30, 2017, 10:15 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #31

mikid said: View Post
    It all comes down to having the proper kind of security practices needed at this day and time....extremists will always ruin it for everyone.....if a Con I go to doesn't search, metal scan me.....I may not enter....but ban props due to there inadiquit security.....that's wrong.....I see the point of Phoenix having Ultrasabers leave due to issues,but they should refund there sat-sun rental due to their decision to come back later and say" leave"....THATS AN AFTERTHOUGHT.....YOU THINK....I hope they can work it out or otherwise work it out in court....

I own a local Smog Shop that is regulated by the State of California.....and recently a customer come in..smooged his car he just bought....it failed ....then later in the day after driving it awhile saw another shop that posted no pass no pay....tested his car....it passed....and now I'm fighting over 46.00 with the credit card company because he disputed it....its not the 46 dollars....its the principle of the matter that always prevails....its already cost me 28 dollars in faxing fees at FedEx office.....I just cant stand for this kind of attitude so with Ultrasabers I feel for them....I think the Con management made the right and wrong call......
    Here we have two different stories. One one side, Ultra sabers said they were kicked out after begrudgingly complying and got no refund. PhoenixCon organizers said, Ultra sabers kept selling sabers without the garbage bags AND gave them a full refund. Somewhere in the middle is the full story.

I wonder if your customer bought a car that just had all the smog info (and fault codes) erased by the seller. The OBD proly didnt have enough miles to re calibrate, but once it did, he passed. Jerk move on the guy for back charging his CC.
    May 31, 2017, 9:20 AM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #32

There's a law in Finland that forbids masking your identity in a public event. There's a clause there about "probable intent of performing violent acts" and a maximum sentence of 3 months. I doubt the law is very strictly enforced, but it does exist. If you carry an airsoft while going through a public area, it has to be hidden from sight and you have to a have a valid reason for having it on you. Kids seem to ignore the rules and I regularly see them playing with airsoft in the parks nearby. Cosplayers carry and display replica weapons at cons here.

Chicago & New York seem to have complete toy gun bans. Does that apply to passengers flying through to a convention somewhere with replica weapons packed in the bags? Do these cities also ban cosplay weapons at cons?

My Black Widow cosplay has airsoft glocks with epoxy-filled barrels and orange tips in the holsters. Still, this is something that makes me a little uneasy about the costume. I had them in Portland (Wizard World) and Atlanta (Dragon Con). The baton weapons are obviously not real (or about as real as lightsabers, so maybe they would get banned under the rules that are discussed here), but the airsofts would definitely be a risk to my safety, if anyone mistook them as a real threat. I'm not sure if packing them into a bag while outside convention buildings would be better or worse. Do they become concealed weapons, if they are in a bag rather than displayed? (I'm from Finland, so I'm genuinely ignorant about how this stuff works and curious about it.)

Empty holsters are certainly an option, if it makes it safer for me - I've only removed the guns from the holsters on rare occasions to have a movie style poster photo taken. Otherwise they usually stay locked down in the holsters.
  8. RPF Social Media Team masterjedi322's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    May 31, 2017, 9:47 AM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #33

Denver Comic Con instituted a no weapons policy starting with this year's convention (to be held end of June). Their change in policy was done last year, so way ahead of what happened in Phoenix.

I have mixed feelings. I understand the safety concern, but costumes and props are a big part of the fun for me.

Sean
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Denver, CO
    May 31, 2017, 10:04 AM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #34

masterjedi322 said: View Post
    Denver Comic Con instituted a no weapons policy starting with this year's convention (to be held end of June). Their change in policy was done last year, so way ahead of what happened in Phoenix.

I have mixed feelings. I understand the safety concern, but costumes and props are a big part of the fun for me.

Sean
    Which caused me to really lose interest in going. My "weapon" is my glove for my Freddy Krueger costume. The "blades" arent sharp but because they are metal I am not allowed to have it. My phone is also metal. As well as my belt buckle, wedding ring, lightsaber hilt, keys etc etc. Also being Colorado there are plenty of people that tend to carry around pocket knives or leathermens. So the "metal" argument seems fairly dumb.
    But more than that silly ban the fact that they required costumes to be PG rated really did it for me. Yeah...lets ban Slave Leia. Cause THAT seems to be an issue. Even my daughter doesnt get it. You can have less clothes on at a public pool than at a convention.
    From
    Midwest
    May 31, 2017, 12:45 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #35

Bans such as these always made me wonder what they expect from criminals. If you were planning an attack on a con, there are obvious choke points for lines to enter the venue. If someone was planning to inflict damage on as many people as possible, they could just as easily attack one of those points and never even enter the convention. Yes, this ban would prevent someone from bringing a potential weapon inside (to attack someone specifically as this guy intended), but if the goal was a high body count, they wouldn't even need to bring the weapon inside.

Or they would just shoot their way in too. I have a feeling the security check point (just like this ban) wouldn't stop them one way or another.
  11. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    May 31, 2017, 12:59 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #36

Jodo said: View Post
    Bans such as these always made me wonder what they expect from criminals. If you were planning an attack on a con, there are obvious choke points for lines to enter the venue. If someone was planning to inflict damage on as many people as possible, they could just as easily attack one of those points and never even enter the convention. Yes, this ban would prevent someone from bringing a potential weapon inside (to attack someone specifically as this guy intended), but if the goal was a high body count, they wouldn't even need to bring the weapon inside.

Or they would just shoot their way in too. I have a feeling the security check point (just like this ban) wouldn't stop them one way or another.
    One does not even need weapons proper.
    However, I suppose they are worried about unhinged people that could obsess on a celeb or
    just think they are The Joker for real or something.
    From
    USA
    Jun 17, 2017, 8:18 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #37

After speaking to one staff members who knew the details of the arrest, he acknowledged that Phx PD were the reason this person was able to gain entry.

The excuse was that they could not do anything until he was actually on the property in commission of a crime.

In other words; it is not illegal to have REAL weapons on site at the convention...
    AND...
    the Phx PD was instrumental in endangering the public so they could make the arrest
    -according to my source who is a big supporter of the PD.
    From
    The Marvel Universe
    Jun 18, 2017, 5:02 AM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #38

Shocking
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Jun 18, 2017, 11:51 AM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #39

Knowing how things work in another convention center, I have a feeling that your source has a few errors, probably because they just don't know all the details involved.

Assuming the man had permits to carry the weapons, then no, while outside, the cops couldn't do anything. However, once he was inside, then they could. Because he had brought the weapons into a space where they were banned (I've never seen a convention center that does not ban at least firearms, regardless of permits).

So while no, the cops couldn't do anything (assuming permits) until he entered the event, it is NOT legal to have the weapons in the event.
    From
    Chicago, Il
    Jun 28, 2017, 12:51 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #40

Can we ban the big 6 foot foam swords? I just never understood those
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2013
    From
    New Mexico
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2018, 11:03 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #41

masterjedi322 said: View Post

Sean
    Necro'ing a bit for this thread as I don't post all that often and saw this just now.

Denver Comic Con originally said "no realistic guns, but the more unrealistic the better". All the way up to the convention. Then, Friday rolls around and people (such as myself in my Captain Cold outfit and its completely-not-real-looking Cold Gun) are being yanked out of line and told they can't bring their props inside, even if other convention staff had already peacebonded them. Then, they "updated" their policy to say "no gun-like props at all" the Saturday of the convention, and even then, they only announced it on their Facebook page.

This year, Albuquerque Comic Con also instituted a "no weapon-like props of any kind whatsoever" policy, to boot. Captain Cold has to stay home again once more and Star Lord goes without his Element Guns, but I'm willing to bet I see more than a few Harley Quinns and their bats or Negans and their barbed wire-coated bats, just like I did at DCC.

This entire approach is bordering on insanity. Many of these props couldn't be mistaken for a real weapon by Mister Magoo at a hundred paces, much less to someone in law enforcement who should know what a real gun looks like on sight. People pour time, effort, money, heart, and soul into making these things only to have overzealous security folks lose their minds and disregard basic critical thinking the second they see gunmetal-colored paint. It kills one of the fun aspects of going to conventions in favor of pure paranoia.

As mentioned, none of these measures are going to stop anyone set on causing trouble. Nobody is going to hide a rifle and ammo in a ray gun when you can hide two shotguns and a dozen pistols in the maneuvering gear of an Attack on Titan cosplay that will go through security without anyone batting an eye. These measures only serve to hurt attendance, and I really hope those in charge of conventions get their heads out of their rear crevasses before this panic-induced mindlessness gets any worse.
    From
    Palatine, IL
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2018, 11:59 AM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #42

4219 Industries said: View Post
    Necro'ing a bit for this thread as I don't post all that often and saw this just now.

Denver Comic Con originally said "no realistic guns, but the more unrealistic the better". All the way up to the convention. Then, Friday rolls around and people (such as myself in my Captain Cold outfit and its completely-not-real-looking Cold Gun) are being yanked out of line and told they can't bring their props inside, even if other convention staff had already peacebonded them. Then, they "updated" their policy to say "no gun-like props at all" the Saturday of the convention, and even then, they only announced it on their Facebook page.

This year, Albuquerque Comic Con also instituted a "no weapon-like props of any kind whatsoever" policy, to boot. Captain Cold has to stay home again once more and Star Lord goes without his Element Guns, but I'm willing to bet I see more than a few Harley Quinns and their bats or Negans and their barbed wire-coated bats, just like I did at DCC.

This entire approach is bordering on insanity. Many of these props couldn't be mistaken for a real weapon by Mister Magoo at a hundred paces, much less to someone in law enforcement who should know what a real gun looks like on sight. People pour time, effort, money, heart, and soul into making these things only to have overzealous security folks lose their minds and disregard basic critical thinking the second they see gunmetal-colored paint. It kills one of the fun aspects of going to conventions in favor of pure paranoia.

As mentioned, none of these measures are going to stop anyone set on causing trouble. Nobody is going to hide a rifle and ammo in a ray gun when you can hide two shotguns and a dozen pistols in the maneuvering gear of an Attack on Titan cosplay that will go through security without anyone batting an eye. These measures only serve to hurt attendance, and I really hope those in charge of conventions get their heads out of their rear crevasses before this panic-induced mindlessness gets any worse.
    This insanity is one of the reasons I've stopped costuming to events. It used to be a great laid back hobby but now has way too much stress revolving around it; where now you have to worry about can I wear 'x' or will I be harassed by security. The other problem now days is also the costuming community itself, but that's another topic.
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2013
    From
    New Mexico
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2018, 12:05 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #43

oblagon said: View Post
    This insanity is one of the reasons I've stopped costuming to events. It used to be a great laid back hobby but now has way too much stress revolving around it; where now you have to worry about can I wear 'x' or will I be harassed by security. The other problem now days is also the costuming community itself, but that's another topic.
    Costuming and cosplay is something I greatly enjoy and conventions are pretty much the only public avenue for it. This mindless moral panic is a plague to that aspect of conventions.

I have been trying to talk to the Albuquerque Comic Con admins about the policy and their con producer has been outright hostile and unprofessional to me at every turn. He told me "the con is for the community, not your toys" and was completely dismissive of anything I tried to say. I'm glad I didn't waste the gas money going.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    From
    Palatine, IL
    6 Days Ago  Jan 13, 2018, 12:21 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #44

4219 Industries said: View Post
    Costuming and cosplay is something I greatly enjoy and conventions are pretty much the only public avenue for it. This mindless moral panic is a plague to that aspect of conventions.

I have been trying to talk to the Albuquerque Comic Con admins about the policy and their con producer has been outright hostile and unprofessional to me at every turn. He told me "the con is for the community, not your toys" and was completely dismissive of anything I tried to say. I'm glad I didn't waste the gas money going.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I'm surprised you haven't run into the insane PC culture taking over. There was a con that outright banned weapons and certain costumes (Red Skull was one of them) and at Wizard World in Chicago a woman was escorted out last year for wearing a Silent Hill costume that she'd worn there for years. Unfortunately, it's not just the con organizers but also the costuming community has just become so poisoned. I've had costumers scream in my face 'Nazi', threaten me with bodily harm and flip me off while wearing my Red Skull.
    In the end, I get great feedback from the general public but my experience with costumers and con security has just ruined the experience for me.
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2013
    From
    New Mexico
    6 Days Ago  Jan 13, 2018, 3:39 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #45

I've never really had to deal with any "PC culture" in propmaking, just overzealous convention staff who think it's only them standing between innocent crowds and murderous thugs and their super-dangerous hunks of plastic and LEDs. It's really getting quite absurd.
    3 Days Ago  Jan 16, 2018, 9:41 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #46

Everyone will end up wearing neon colored spandex with daisys and tulips in hand
    2 Days Ago  Jan 17, 2018, 11:55 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #47

This happened because of that stupid crap where someone wanted to hurt the one Power Ranger guy and he got busted with a weapon. Now everyone is all "Lets be a police state at cons!" ugh.
    From
    Chicago
    1 Day Ago  Jan 18, 2018, 1:04 PM - Re: Fake weapons Banned at Phoenix Comic Con #48

I remember in fourth grade I was going as Anakin Skywalker from the upcoming AotC movie for that Halloween. I was all excited when the teacher asked us to draw our costumes for that Halloween. I drew myself as Anakin Skywalker... lightsaber included. Then the teacher comes around and flips her lid because I drew a weapon. FFS! To any child, what's a Jedi without his a lightsaber? Lightsabers were literally the first thing Obi-Wan taught Luke about the Jedi. It's a glowing, other wordly sword? DId they sincerely expect me to bring a real lightsaber to school and start chopping limbs off? The craziness of people when it comes to fake weapons is egregious.