Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know there is no eBay auction links allowed, i know the link below isn't to eBay but it is to another "auction" site so i dont know if I'm breaking any rules. please forgive me if i am, and i will take it down

So on another forum i was informed that a "screen used" graflex was going up for auction from www.profilesinhistory.com. for some reason it took me forever to find the actual advertisement. The lightsaber is on page 449 i believe, it took my computer forever to load the whole catalog, so if you know a trick to just get to 449 do it. from the description this claims to be screen used in ANH and ESB but i can't see it being so... check out the grips and Kobold, does that scream master replicas or what?!

34885317545_b76feb9656_b.jpg

34885320755_9b8cde0022_b.jpg

34845500106_303b7841b5_b.jpg

Last edited:
You've put the link name wrong there Halliwax, profiles OF history should read profiles IN history. :thumbsup
Wow, that catalogue is 1.2Gb!

Last edited by a moderator:
You've put the link name wrong there Halliwax, profiles OF history should read profiles IN history. :thumbsup
Wow, that catalogue is 1.2Gb!

you know i have been told "you can screw up a free lunch", fixing it now.

Not another one of these things. So at best it's misrepresentation, at worst it's straight up fraud. How can they call this Luke's hero saber from ANH and ESB?

That Kobold clip is not authentic and the T-tracks look awfully straight and rectangular.

the clip i have seen before, I've been searching Master replicas but haven't found it. i know I've seen it.... the grips also look like some other mass produced replica/toy grips

- - - Updated - - -

Not another one of these things. So at best it's misrepresentation, at worst it's straight up fraud. How can they call this Luke's hero saber from ANH and ESB?

thats exactly what I'm saying matt. how many times is gary going to do this? wheres the proof? because gary says so? whats stopping him from grabbing 3 cells off eBay, throwing some non accurate greeblies on it and calling it screen used?

i found it

http://p1.la-img.com/930/17693/5966064_8_l.jpg

grips look to be the same as well, check out this old thread that came up on google

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=126903

i knew i saw this kobold replica before! :darnkids

- - - Updated - - -

now looking at the rust on the side switch... i bet this is the same saber
http://p1.la-img.com/930/17693/5966064_9_l.jpg

Yea these are the same pieces. No way you can precisely match these details as close as these two appear.

lighsaber compare.jpg

awesome!! thanks for making that side by side comparison!! yes not only the rust on the switch but once i saw the double marks under the bunny ears I've been sold that its the same.

which brings a little peace of mind that gary isn't doing what I've stated above. now I'm curious to see how much this sucker goes for!

awesome!! thanks for making that side by side comparison!! yes not only the rust on the switch but once i saw the double marks under the bunny ears I've been sold that its the same.

which brings a little peace of mind that gary isn't doing what I've stated above. now I'm curious to see how much this sucker goes for!

I'm not into the lightsaber community, but are you saying that the prop being sold for auction is a replica put out by Gary Kurtz to make some $$$?

Im wondering the same thing. :lol

Not gonna lie, if he had the know-how and the resources to do so, coupled with his reputation, I don't think it'd be far off for anyone in his position to do something like that. However, I think openly trying to deceive the public would be pretty shameful to make some quick cash, especially with a lightsaber build/collecting community so anal about things that wouldn't take BS like this.. Yea original graflex replicas will cost you a pretty penny, but if someone with his fame goes out and says 'screen used' then blamo, thousands added to it.

Ok, the Kurtz saber was originally sold as a production used saber from Gary Kurtz's personal collection. It was speculated that the actual Graflex was from the production but was never turned into a lightsaber for the films. The grips and "kobold" were added later just to make it look like a lightsaber. Profiles In History is just making stuff up at this point.

Thanks Matt, yes thats what I know to be true as well - probably an old Graflex from set that wasn't used and dressed poorly.

it has similar red-style T track as that Strobonar-Slave Vader saber which was from the same collection. That might even be flat sheet plastic that is glued together to make T track, considering the height of the ridge.

There's a very similar piece (with similar weird looking kobold) on display at the pop culture museum in Seattle. Not sure what lineage that one has either but there were several inaccuracies on that one too.

Hello Chaps

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, you are correct; this is a Gary Kurtz "fix up job" that cam up for auction back in April 2011. It was PIH then, I'm pretty sure, Here is the full description from back then:
347. Mark Hamill hero "LukeSkywalker" lightsaber from Star Wars and Star Wars: The EmpireStrikes Back.(TCF, 1983) This lightsaber was used by Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker in both StarWars and The Empire Strikes Back. It is the non-fighting version of thefamous Jedi weapon. This particular version is constructed from an existingGraflex flashgun from the 1930s, and is fitted with black grips around the baseattached with adhesive and rivets. This lightsaber is in quite good conditionfor its age, but is missing the circuit board detailing usually attached to theclasp. The silver tape, which originally covered the Graflex name, has alsobeen removed. An important and now-iconic piece of Star Wars lore, thishero lightsaber used by Luke comes directly from the archive of Gary Kurtz,producer of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, and isaccompanied with a letter of authenticity signed by Gary Kurtz. An incrediblepiece of film history used for the very first appearance of the spectacular"lightsaber", which thrilled audiences the world over. $150,000 -$180,000

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for more this time.............

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back