Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction

I've never been on Facebook. It was ruff, especially when waiting for my RS Scout helmet. They'd post more updates on Facebook, while sending a rare email with updates.

You're not missing much. You'd probably recognize the same faces there as in most forums. I mostly only use Facebook for my favorite interest groups (Star Wars Blasters Group, Graflex Addicts Group, etc).

Facebook is handy as long as you don't spend too much time on it. I honestly prefer the forums to Facebook because it's so much easier than having to navigate through thousands of posts and comments to find the information you want. On a forum you can just search the threads much, much faster.

i had Facebook until last year. the election was driving me nuts, and to top it all off i saw a aborted baby still in the birth sack... after the aborted baby i said enough as enough. it sucks because i belong to a lot of Star wars groups, and the only Back to the Future prop stuff is located on Facebook. so i miss out on that...

I'm old school, ive been doing forums since 1997, i hate change :darnkids

Facebook doesn't have archiving features like a forum, good posts usually get easily buried by countless (and sometimes even idiotic) posts. And there are way more idiots gathered there than on any other physical place on this planet, sometimes feels like drowning in an ocean of arrogant smartasses, functionally illiterates, or plain stupid people.

Facebook doesn't have archiving features like a forum, good posts usually get easily buried by countless (and sometimes even idiotic) posts. And there are way more idiots gathered there than on any other physical place on this planet, sometimes feels like drowning in an ocean of arrogant smartasses, functionally illiterates, or plain stupid people.

Your absolutely right! That's another thing I always hated when trying to go back and find something. Archiving is a joke and forget even attempting to search lol

My life is much easier with out it, don't have to worry anymore about being sure to "like" friend and family's pictures

I would get messages or even phone calls from family "why didn't you like my pic?" Because I'm not glued on this damn thing...

Lol

But back on topic I want to know where bies got these grips? Anyone ever ask him on Facebook? Someone mentioned scratch made which they probably were. I was just curious if we could get a story out of him?

i had Facebook until last year. the election was driving me nuts, and to top it all off i saw a aborted baby still in the birth sack... after the aborted baby i said enough as enough. it sucks because i belong to a lot of Star wars groups, and the only Back to the Future prop stuff is located on Facebook. so i miss out on that...

I'm old school, ive been doing forums since 1997, i hate change :darnkids

You do realize you can block individual posts or posts from entire groups?

I did check that link on Facebook and there were a lot of people who seem to think the same as us that the items are at best misrepresented and at worst, well fraudulent.
Still I think that in the last 2/3 years Facebook has become virtually useless. And that's with just a handful of friends on my second (controlled) setup.
It's like having a second job having to keep up with all the crap people post. So I don't :)

I use Facebook all the time. I post pictures of my kids, and Star Wars stuff. That's about it. I belong to some cool groups (like the R2 Builders Club). It's not a substitute for forums but it's not supposed to be. I have no patience for drama or BS. You can make it a pleasant experience if you want. Just my two cents. Now Twitter, I've never even looked at that mess, lol.

You do realize you can block individual posts or posts from entire groups?

Buddy I'm so out of the loop with this millennium internet stuff it's not even funny...

Then I would still have to deal with my in real life friends posting stupid stuff

I do appreciate the help though, but I guess I'm just no social enough lol ;)

I'm pretty sure I'm also a member of that FB group. I find that opinion is pretty common across the board. I am a member on forums dedicated to collecting vintage Star Wars figures as well as WWII memorabilia and disgust and loathing for replicas is pretty typical in both locations. The main objection, which I can sympathize with, is that reproductions are becoming so good that it damages the historical (and let's be honest the monetary value) of authentic pieces. I agree with this to an extent because the situation makes it easier for people to get ripped off and we want to limit that as much as possible. There is also of course an elitist attitude that goes hand in hand with it that I find distasteful.

Heck, when it comes down to it, there are elitist attitudes on this forum (of which I am undoubtedly guilty), using authentic vintage parts vs replica parts, how accurate is your replica i.e. rivet counting, screen accurate vs prop accurate, things like that.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head on several points. I believe that original prop collecting and replica prop collecting have benefited from each other. Original prop collectors have benefited from the attention to detail and discoveries of replica prop collectors many times. Replica prop collectors have benefited from the info and reference from original prop collectors. Many who start in one hobby transition to the other. I think collectors need to understand that these hobbies are mutually advantageous on the balance.

Where I think there are replica issues for original props: casting off originals. I personally let replica prop people take photographs, measurements, etc, but I do not let people cast from an original. I used to, but don't anymore. The problem is that even with good intentions for building a nice replica, people do eventually sell or give away stuff and it can get into the wrong hands. I've seen many cases where things went from a trusted source into circulation.

Elitism is a problem in all hobbies, including toy collecting, replica props, and screen-used props. Which I find kind of funny. Like all that makes you king of what? Many collectors don't even realize they are being elitist. :)

Gus

I get that some people sit on information to make sure they got the part to complete their replica before everyone goes nuts and jacks up prices. I don't like the type of elitism where people just sit on info when they have a real prop and could shed light on what it's made of. I don't know if it's because they think replicas would devalue their item (how?) or if they just get some pleasure from knowing they have something no one else has. Who knows?

Oh, it's most definitely the latter. They want to be able to lord it over everyone else. Whether in private or public, doesn't matter much. They get off on it. It's as if they give up their place of power that no one will speak to them again or something.

I get that some people sit on information to make sure they got the part to complete their replica before everyone goes nuts and jacks up prices. I don't like the type of elitism where people just sit on info when they have a real prop and could shed light on what it's made of. I don't know if it's because they think replicas would devalue their item (how?) or if they just get some pleasure from knowing they have something no one else has. Who knows?

This is the exact reason there is no back to the future prop community.. parts were found in the while, everyone bought up then sold for ridiculous prices... total shame

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back