Spider-Man Homemade Moving Lenses?

Troy Cavalieri

Not sure if there's been a thread about this yet, but I haven't seen anybody try and make the moving eye lenses for Peter's homemade suit in Homecoming. I found this video on YouTube, and this guy made some lenses out of foam that moved by hand, but I feel like they could be mechanized too. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be an interesting project, and it seems kinda easy to replicate(maybe).
IMG_2346.JPG
The mechanism itself looks like it stems from something inside the mask. How you would go about making the thing move is beyond my knowledge. Anyone got an idea of how it would work?

I'd guess a face plate with some kind of pull cables and micro-servos.
The receiver and battery pack could be hidden by your hood.

You are dressed as Spidey and have a partner running the RC unit.

Edit:
Faceplate and pneumatics.
The lenses are spring loaded open and you have a blow tube hidden in your mask.
One tube for each side.
Blow on the tube and the lenses close.
Release the air pressure and the lenses open due to the spring.
The only problem is cant talk and move your lenses.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using servos, fishing line, and a spring/rubber band, with two buttons on each hand, and that controls the lenses. I made a little demonstration in Fusion 360 of how the lenses would move, since I'm pretty sure the movement from the movie is physically impossible.
They wouldn't be able to do the squint, but that's not really what I'm going for. I just want to emote while I make stupid jokes, is that too much to ask for?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm planning on buying a pair of welding goggles, and then placing the mechanics inside of them. I've managed to fit most of the things inside this one disk that'll slide into the goggles. The idea is that a micro-servo in the faceshell will pull the lens down using a string, and then an elastic band of sorts (probably a bit of flexible 3D printer filament) will pull it back into place as the servo releases the tension.
Spidey Lenses Homemade v20.pngSpidey Lenses Homemade2.pngSpidey Lenses Homemade3.pngSpidey Lenses Homemade4.pngPicture1.png

Last edited:
I've been doing some thinking with this, and my original plan was to have like some kind of ultra-nano servo in the faceshell or a small linear servo that pulled the string and moved the lenses, but now after seeing McLean Krieger's video about his moving lenses (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMW4aot-p40#t=6m22s) and how he uses just clamps with wiring to control the lenses, I decided to go a bit of a different route.

I'm still going to use servos, since it will be a bit easier to control in costume, and that's also like the thing that I'm good at (Robotic Engineering Major whaddup), but I'm not going to put my servos in the faceshell anymore. Instead, I'm going to put them in the webshooters, with cables and tubing running up to the lenses, which will still work probably the same way. Now I'm just not as limited by space as I was before.

Homemade Webshooters (lid) v2.pngHomemade Webshooters (lid) v21.png
So I modelled this webshooter in Fusion360, and it's basically like a little container with a lid that's held on by magnets. I might make the compartment a bit bigger, and obviously I need a hole in there for the cables and tubing, but the idea is I'll have a generic size servo in the wrists that will coil up or pull the wire, since it will have the space that it wouldn't have in the facemask.

If anyone's interested in this webshooter:
Download STL file to print: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1h3JuMp6PKLTkluenJQaGtQYnc/view
Order from Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/LQKETTWAT/spider-man-homecoming-homemade-webshooters

Here's also a version that's just a single solid, for the rest of the webshooter
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1h3JuMp6PKLbDhzdU8tQjQxbmc/view?usp=sharing
Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/YJ9HZZZMM/spider-man-homemade-webshooter-solid

Last edited:
This would be an interesting project, and it seems kinda easy to replicate(maybe).
View attachment 731291
The mechanism itself looks like it stems from something inside the mask. How you would go about making the thing move is beyond my knowledge. Anyone got an idea of how it would work?

I don't think so. The "layered" thing that we see inside the goggles, I think they're the sculpted eyes on the mannequin's face. The goggles themselves look like they have no lenses or shutters for the display.

Got some prototypes, and they honestly work really well so far. The joint that I designed in Fusion360 was too small and broke off in like 5 seconds, so I took a needle and hammered it in a and cut it and glued it to size. Not perfect, probably a little dangerous, but it works pretty well imo. The hole I made in the lenses for the string was also too small, so I'll probably have to heat up a needle to get something through there, which I'm not too stoked about.

IMG_20170620_013539.jpgIMG_20170620_013550.jpgIMG_20170620_013603.jpgIMG_20170620_013612.jpg

Also need to redesign those webshooters to be able to fit a microservo, since right now there's not enough space. So far things are coming out nicely. Probably won't have this done in time for the premiere, but I wasn't really planning on it.

Got some prototypes, and they honestly work really well so far. The joint that I designed in Fusion360 was too small and broke off in like 5 seconds, so I took a needle and hammered it in a and cut it and glued it to size. Not perfect, probably a little dangerous, but it works pretty well imo. The hole I made in the lenses for the string was also too small, so I'll probably have to heat up a needle to get something through there, which I'm not too stoked about.

View attachment 737584View attachment 737585View attachment 737586View attachment 737587

Also need to redesign those webshooters to be able to fit a microservo, since right now there's not enough space. So far things are coming out nicely. Probably won't have this done in time for the premiere, but I wasn't really planning on it.
Will you be making the files for these availible too?

Ey boys, now it's time to get serious. My welding goggles showed up today, about a week earlier than I expected. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Yesterday I used a match and a needle to get some fishing wire through the lens, then used a hot paperclip to make a sort of pulley that lets the string be pulled perpendicular to the lens motion. I added some mesh that I spraypainted white and superglued it onto my lens frame.

Now to the goggles. I took the goggles off the strap and took them apart.

IMG_20170624_230717.jpgIMG_20170624_230804.jpg

Next I took the main part of the goggles and used a dremmel to cut it down.

IMG_20170624_231138.jpgIMG_20170624_231151.jpg

Then I took the other piece (the part that normally screws onto the goggles) and used a dremmel again to cut a chunk out of it. I overdid it on my first try and made mine too long. The cut should "1 and a half notches" if that makes sense. This will let the lenses move freely. I also took another dremmel bit and smoothed out the inside of it so things would fit a bit better.
IMG_20170624_231226.jpgIMG_20170624_231251.jpg

The lens was able to fit in now. I'm not gluing anything yet, since I want to wait until I get my faceshell and everything ready.
IMG_20170624_231308.jpgIMG_20170624_231409.jpg

Next is getting the servos and all the electronics working.

Version 1 of the lenses is now up for download. These aren't the exact files I used. I made the holes in this version a big bigger so nobody would need a hot needle like I did. They'll be coming to shapeways as well for those who don't have a printer.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1h3JuMp6PKLbUJMcFhJNnVYbjA?usp=sharing

Not sure if I want to make a V2. If I did it would probably make it all one piece with the goggles part of it all

Version 1 of the lenses is now up for download. These aren't the exact files I used. I made the holes in this version a big bigger so nobody would need a hot needle like I did. They'll be coming to shapeways as well for those who don't have a printer.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1h3JuMp6PKLbUJMcFhJNnVYbjA?usp=sharing

Not sure if I want to make a V2. If I did it would probably make it all one piece with the goggles part of it all
That will be really awesome.
Can you post a link to the welding goggles please?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back