Top Gun: Maverick

I think the last real air-to-air engagement was when our Tomcats shot those Libyan Migs down in 1989. The Migs inexplicably engaged the F-14s. The Tomcats kept turning away and the Migs kept turning back into them. They finally engaged and put em down.

Was that a close maneuvering fight though? We've had air to air fights in the Gulf War and Serbia where the U.S. and allies downed planes, but it was all beyond visual range engagements.

Yeah but this just happened a week ago. http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-jets-fly-near-us-aircraft-2017-5

Inverted Chinese Su-30s !

Russia and China are really brave when it's a big lumbering jet. They don't try it when F-22s are around.

Also why does it have to be a zombie Goose? Why not a ghost? Have Goose pop up like Obi Wan as a Force Ghost? :lol

I am from the 80s and I could never get into this movie. Yeah, there is some good eye candy if you are an aviation buff, but otherwise I thought it was a pretty crappy cookie cutter movie. Never liked it.

And despite what some people say, not all of it was live action planes. There was a Cinefex way back that showed several models and miniatures being used for the film.

The only things that weren't "real" as far as the planes were the missile hits and the exterior flat spin shots, for obvious reasons. Virtually everything else is real. All the flying and maneuvering were real. No models at all.

Was that a close maneuvering fight though? We've had air to air fights in the Gulf War and Serbia where the U.S. and allies downed planes, but it was all beyond visual range engagements.

If memory serves, the cat and mouse turning and jinking back in started around 75 miles. The kill shots were made at 5 miles and 1 mile, I believe.

The only things that weren't "real" as far as the planes were the missile hits and the exterior flat spin shots, for obvious reasons. Virtually everything else is real. All the flying and maneuvering were real. No models at all.

Yes, I know that. That was going to be my next sentence, but right at that point my boss walked into my office!:lol

Last edited:
If memory serves, the cat and mouse turning and jinking back in started around 75 miles. The kill shots were made at 5 miles and 1 mile, I believe.

Your talking about the Gulf of Sidra Incident in 1989.
That was two F-14s vs Libyan Mig 23s. The range went from 35 miles down to 4 miles.
The Gun camera footage and audio from that dogfight is online if you want to hear someone have a few stressful moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjQeOER5I_8

At one point you can see the Mig 23 cross right in front of the F-14.

During the filming of "Top Gun" a couple of times the F-14s almost fell out of the sky because they were having to go so slow for the camera plane.
Still Looks better than any CGI dogfight I've seen.

Recent dogfights:
2006 - Hostile engagement - Two Greek and Two Turkish F-16s engaged in a mock dogfight, resulting from the interception of a Turkish RF-4 recce jet. F-16s from both sides collided and were destroyed: the Greek pilot was killed while ejecting while the Turkish pilot survived. This was one of many confrontations over the disputed Aegean Sea between the NATO members.
2000 - Full-fledged combat - multiple skirmishes between Eritrea and Ethiopia, which were fought with Russian built (and likely CIS manned) Su-27s and Mig-29s.
1999 - Western versus Eastern jets - The Kosovo conflict involved NATO F-16s shooting down Serbian Mig-29s while enforcing a No-Fly zone

I had an interview once with a rather large aeronautical company.
I had to walk past an F-22 to get to the interview and the guy leading me remarked the F-22 was going to to be the last manned jet fighter.
Drones can do the same job cheaper, faster and and outperform a jet because drones don't black out or get tired.
No more Goose.

Last edited by a moderator:
tom-cruise-top-gun.jpg

Cant edit the title.

What this movie needs is some speed, and lots of it.

Also, it must have an oiled up beach volleyball scene. Maybe even a cameo from Tarantino for a sword fight.

It will be interesting to see how they can take a really big 80s movie and make a new continuation for the current audiences.

I welcome anybody who brings Kenny Loggins back to do a killer theme song again.

Russia and China are really brave when it's a big lumbering jet. They don't try it when F-22s are around.

I wouldn't expect anyone would be maneuvering around an F-22, given that they'd probably engage at, like, 20nmi out. I thought that was the whole purpose of the F-22: to engage

Your talking about the Gulf of Sidra Incident in 1989.
That was two F-14s vs Libyan Mig 23s. The range went from 35 miles down to 4 miles.
The Gun camera footage and audio from that dogfight is online if you want to hear someone have a few stressful moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjQeOER5I_8

At one point you can see the Mig 23 cross right in front of the F-14.

During the filming of "Top Gun" a couple of times the F-14s almost fell out of the sky because they were having to go so slow for the camera plane.
Still Looks better than any CGI dogfight I've seen.

Recent dogfights:
2006 - Hostile engagement - Two Greek and Two Turkish F-16s engaged in a mock dogfight, resulting from the interception of a Turkish RF-4 recce jet. F-16s from both sides collided and were destroyed: the Greek pilot was killed while ejecting while the Turkish pilot survived. This was one of many confrontations over the disputed Aegean Sea between the NATO members.
2000 - Full-fledged combat - multiple skirmishes between Eritrea and Ethiopia, which were fought with Russian built (and likely CIS manned) Su-27s and Mig-29s.
1999 - Western versus Eastern jets - The Kosovo conflict involved NATO F-16s shooting down Serbian Mig-29s while enforcing a No-Fly zone

I had an interview once with a rather large aeronautical company.
I had to walk past an F-22 to get to the interview and the guy leading me remarked the F-22 was going to to be the last manned jet fighter.
Drones can do the same job cheaper, faster and and outperform a jet because drones don't black out or get tired.
No more Goose.

If this is an actual Top Gun sequel, then it'll be a naval film, and that'll mean we'd probably see Super Hornets.

I wouldn't expect to see a lot of dogfighting, if they keep it real. Modern fighters just...aren't really dogfighters. But what this film might do is try to "sexify" modern trends in air combat and aircraft design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't expect anyone would be maneuvering around an F-22, given that they'd probably engage at, like, 20nmi out. I thought that was the whole purpose of the F-22: to engage

Yet at the same time it's also hyper maneuverable and was designed from the outset to be a superb dogfigther.

If this is an actual Top Gun sequel, then it'll be a naval film, and that'll mean we'd probably see Super Hornets.

I wouldn't expect to see a lot of dogfighting, if they keep it real. Modern fighters just...aren't really dogfighters. But what this film might do is try to "sexify" modern trends in air combat and aircraft design.

I disagree, I don't think that aerial combat in the future will just be lobbing missiles at long range, sure, there will be some of that but it won't be just that. Once the missiles are launched, unless the launch is completely stealthed the target aircraft(s) are going to know they're being painted and that there's a missile locked on to them. Once that happens the target aircraft(s) are going to maneuver to try to avoid the incoming missiles and work to get missile locks of their own. When this happens the planes will be turning and burning all over the place to dodge missiles, to make it harder to get more missile locks them, and to get in position to launch missiles of their own.

Also why does it have to be a zombie Goose? Why not a ghost? Have Goose pop up like Obi Wan as a Force Ghost? :lol

Yet at the same time it's also hyper maneuverable and was designed from the outset to be a superb dogfigther.

I disagree, I don't think that aerial combat in the future will just be lobbing missiles at long range, sure, there will be some of that but it won't be just that. Once the missiles are launched, unless the launch is completely stealthed the target aircraft(s) are going to know they're being painted and that there's a missile locked on to them. Once that happens the target aircraft(s) are going to maneuver to try to avoid the incoming missiles and work to get missile locks of their own. When this happens the planes will be turning and burning all over the place to dodge missiles, to make it harder to get more missile locks them, and to get in position to launch missiles of their own.

I'm talking more about WWII-style dogfighting, which was what the original film depicted. That era is over with, I think. Or to the extent it survives, it plays out at a much larger scale, which doesn't quite lend itself to thrilling cinema.

Think it's a safe bet the enemy won't be The People's Liberation Army Air Force?
Studios these days wouldn't want to offend a major market. How many serious air war adversaries are there these days to make it dramatic enough?
Even good ol Russia is probably revenue flow to any film these days.

Oh please...not another: " North Korean, but not associated with the government per se film, ala Red Dawn remake and whatever Whitehouse film that was with Spartucus guy. I guess the only enemy they could fight against in PC world would be aliens. Maybe they could also bring back zombie Goose.

I'm talking more about WWII-style dogfighting, which was what the original film depicted. That era is over with, I think. Or to the extent it survives, it plays out at a much larger scale, which doesn't quite lend itself to thrilling cinema.

We also heard that around the Vietnam era and it turned out not to be true. I'd rather have a fighter that can out maneuver any other and win than just design something for BVR fights.

Oh please...not another: " North Korean, but not associated with the government per se film, ala Red Dawn remake and whatever Whitehouse film that was with Spartucus guy. I guess the only enemy they could fight against in PC world would be aliens. Maybe they could also bring back zombie Goose.

That's the reason I never watched the Red Dawn remake. There's no freaking way the North Koreans, or really anyone, could invade the U.S. unless they somehow got UFOs or something. I think the same guy wrote some game series with that premise, which is idiotic. The other thing wrong with these "the U.S. is invaded" movies is that they never take into account all the armed civilians, not to mention former military. Anyone who invaded would face something that made WW2 Berlin seem relatively safe. You're talking street fighting on every street in the country. Red Dawn kind of did this, but the civilians gave up way too quickly in that movie.

We also heard that around the Vietnam era and it turned out not to be true. I'd rather have a fighter that can out maneuver any other and win than just design something for BVR fights.

That's the reason I never watched the Red Dawn remake. There's no freaking way the North Koreans, or really anyone, could invade the U.S. unless they somehow got UFOs or something. I think the same guy wrote some game series with that premise, which is idiotic. The other thing wrong with these "the U.S. is invaded" movies is that they never take into account all the armed civilians, not to mention former military. Anyone who invaded would face something that made WW2 Berlin seem relatively safe. You're talking street fighting on every street in the country. Red Dawn kind of did this, but the civilians gave up way too quickly in that movie.

Exactly. I know there is no proof that General Isoroku Yamamoto stated this during WW2, but it certainly would make sense if he did:
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Who says it has to be based around an invasion scenario?

I get that even in the movies we cant poke the Bear or Dragon these days but the way NK presents themselves on and their standing on the world stage, they are absolute fair game for whatever Hollywood cares to throw at them. No need to soften anything by using the not official government involvement ploy. Straight up Supreme Leader down stuff.

Get your eighties plums back Hollywood. If NK had been news worthy back in the day, Rambo would have "visited" the joint.

EDIT, As I`m typing the news just announced NK launched another missIle in the Sea of Japan.....POWER TO THE DANGER ZONE.....

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back