Moving ears

Reddkryten

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on a problem I am dealing with.

I'm currently working on a character with ears on their heads, think insect antennae. I don't want the ears to be static and lifeless, I want them to move and be animated.

My plan is for them to move down when the character is thinking/annoyed, remain in the middle most of the time, then pop up when surprised/alert, sort of how cats move their ears.

The problem I am having, cable or radio control aren't really practical for this one most of the time. I'm also trying to find a non-electronic way of doing this.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Personally I was thinking of something hydraulic. When the wearer tilts their head forwards, the fluid shifts and tilts the ear down and the opposite when their head is tilted back. I think that could be made to work, however I can also imagine it being very tricky.

Any help, pointers or inspiration would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Dont over think it too much, stick with the basics. Make some bladders out of latex with a length as needed of air tubing. As you blow into the tube, the bladder will expand, in this case, inflate and make the antenna rise. To make them coil is another game.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back