Emma Peel's Boots

E

Elementary

These aren't mine, but they are quite possibly the only surviving pair of boots worn by Diana Rigg as Emma Peel in the 1960's TV series 'The Avengers'. Does anyone know if these boots were mass produced in the UK in the 1960's, as some of the 'Emmapeeler' catsuits were ? I don't believe they were, but I'm not 100% sure. These were apparently bought in the 80's at a flea market in Slough, well made but with no identifying labels. So these are quite possibly the real McCoy.

3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, all of the Emmapeelers were designed for the series (as were Mr Macnee's suits), and their designs influenced the contemporary market of the '60s. Any off-the-peg garments inspired by the series would have a label (or at least they would prior to the ravages of time).

Regardless of whether or not these are the definite article, they're an incredible find - they look marvellous!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

IIRC, all of the Emmapeelers were designed for the series (as were Mr Macnee's suits), and their designs influenced the contemporary market of the '60s. Any off-the-peg garments inspired by the series would have a label (or at least they would prior to the ravages of time).

Regardless of whether or not these are the definite article, they're an incredible find - they look marvellous!

It's very interesting, while there are quite a few examples of the 1960's commercially available 'Emmerpeeler' catsuits still around today, no information, pictures or surviving examples of any Avengers footwear is available. I'm assuming then that these are the real boots worn by Diana Rigg, or at the very least, are an extremely rare surviving example of the commercially available boots.

Unless proven otherwise, I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that these are genuine screen-used boots, mfd for the series. I seem to recall that Ms Rigg's white Chelseas w/ the black centre stripe were (at least somewhat) mass produced, along with the B/W 'target' beret, but I've never seen any if they've survived, and I never heard of or read that any other Avengers footwear was produced. Again, regardless of their authenticity, they're an amazing example. Thanks for sharing these.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back