2001 1/12 Scale EVA Pod from Atomic City Build Log

Hi Guys.

Back from almost a month holiday basically doing no modeling...well I did some "virtually" as I had my Mac Book onboard with Rhino :).
When I came home there was a load of boxes from Shapeways sitting in the Garage (the Local Postman has the Key as I tend to order a lot of stuff and I am normally not home when he comes)

Got the parts for the Cockpit that was sort a fudged as I ordered the first batch in "the wrong Material"
IMG_4405.JPG
The Parts are absolutly perfect compared to the Black Hi-Def Acrylate (some post up)

I also got most of the parts for the Pod Bay "Platform"
IMG_4406.JPG
Thought I try to make as many parts as I could using 3D Printing...just to see how it works out. I am slowly getting the hang of modeling in Rhino and it's actually loads of fun.

IMG_4407.JPG
Details of the Pod Bay Platform including Cables.

IMG_4408.JPG
I guess I could have made the cables using normal "Cables or simple Wires" but as I said I wanted to see how far I could push it wth 3D Printing.

IMG_4409.JPGIMG_4410.JPGIMG_4411.JPG##

IMG_4412.JPG
The Main Disc for the Pod Bay Platform came out 100% in my opinion, not so cheap but there it is.

During the Holidays I started to Model the Pod Bay Air Lock and I am pretty happy how that came out. Just sent that out for printing Today.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.50.12.pngBildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.49.35.pngBildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.49.45.png
The Piping that is running up the wall is not 100% but 95% or something as it's really hard to see how it looks on the Ref material, at least the stuff that I have available.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.48.45.png
Got hold of a EVA Pod 3D Model that gives you an overall impression of the Diorama.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.49.06.pngBildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.49.19.pngBildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.49.27.pngBildschirmfoto 2017-09-14 um 20.48.35.png#

Still to do, some minor details to the EVA Pod that I will 3D Print and the AE-35 Unit that Bowman will hold in he's hand entering the EVA Pod :)

I will start to assemble the Cockpit this weekend but I am sure I will run in problems as I have only done that "virtually" so far...lets see how it goes.

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:
All of this looks so good...yes, you're right: virtual vs. reality can sometime give you some surprise. I'm re-doing my cockpit (major surgery) and trying to find a cheap alternative to so much pipes in that Pod Bay:(

Looks great. Curious though, clearly you're capable of modeling the whole Pod inside and out. Why even buy the kit to begin with, instead of printing the whole thing? Will it work out to be cheaper? Also, do you have an opinion on the accuracy of the kit?

Very cool build, good to implement using an arduino and a stepper to control the turntable, one question, have you considered internal pod lighting .and how it will be powered on the turntable?

Looks great. Curious though, clearly you're capable of modeling the whole Pod inside and out. Why even buy the kit to begin with, instead of printing the whole thing? Will it work out to be cheaper? Also, do you have an opinion on the accuracy of the kit?
Well I started of with the Resin Kit so I had that before even thinking about the Interior. The interior sort a grew and grew :). The first plan was just to print some Walls/Consoles but as I worked on it I decided to simply go for the whole thing. And yes it would be pretty expensive to 3D Print the whole Pod. Example, the "Disc" for the Pod Bay is like
€67.20, so to make the whole Pod would cost something like 400-500€ or maybe more. As the Pod is a Sphere you would have to split it up obviously but you would end up with Curved Wall parts and thats whats expensive as they need "Filler" material to close the cavities when Printing.​

As for the accuracy compared to the model used in the film its pretty close, there are some minor things that are different, some wich I will model and print later.

Very cool build, good to implement using an arduino and a stepper to control the turntable, one question, have you considered internal pod lighting .and how it will be powered on the turntable?
I will simply use 9-12V LEDs I guess 6-8 of them, probably white as the Overlays I had printed are Colored and should filter the light. For some areas like the "Ambient Light Slots" I will paint transparent foil with Tamiya Red Clear or something and back lit. On my last projects I used a Powerplug 6V-12V DC and that should power the LED's and the Stepper no problem. I used to power my models with 12V Batteries but I have this remote light system at home so I can light up all the models at once simply pushing a button.

I started to build and fit the Interior yesterday and its pretty hard, I had to Dremel away a lot of resin from the kit but its sort a getting there. Will post some pics later Tonight when home (at work at the mo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 3-D print is "filler expensive":( that's the problem with sphere, concave,convex shapes. Eager to see the first interior fitting!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back