Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never seen)

Re: Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never s

TFS with us :cool Looking great...a must for any BR fans!!

Re: Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never s

Thanks Slash-5 for the Sebastian Birds Chess Set information.
bladerunner_chess_set6b.jpg

If anyone has an extra white owl available I'd be interested, No room for a whole set but the owl of course would be a nice touch to display with a small BR collection.

Very cool project and very cool thread. Only a bit disappointed I never got a mention as the first person to uncover the origins of the set, and the basis for a lot of the info you have posted about it. I even wrote the article on Boing Boing about Rick Ross's set. Otherwise I really love what you guys are doing here :D

Added link to original 2006 thread. I posted it here too soon after. http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=184

Andy

Last edited:

Very cool project and very cool thread. Only a bit disappointed I never got a mention as the first person to uncover the origins of the set, and the basis for a lot of the info you have posted about it. I even wrote the article on Boing Boing about Rick Ross's set. Otherwise I really love what you guys are doing here :D

Added link to original 2006 thread. I posted it here too soon after. http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=184

Andy

Hi Andy, big Blade Runner fan as well as a novice player of the game of chess. I just read through your prop summit link. Riveting read. Thank you for the discovery btw. I'm curious just how you came to discover the set. Was it just varied Google searches of Bird Chess set? Would love to hear more.

Thanks again

I did all kinds of searches online as well as calling and trying to contact people from books that found in the library about Chess sets, calling specialty stores, shops, and chess clubs. In the end I think just simply doing an image search for Chess Birds came up with a few hundred (or thousand) unrelated images, a few images of the knock off sets, and one single image of the one posted on the Hoyle's website. I continued searching for who the the R. Fisher was written on the sets. Most of the stuff I found I published on propsummit and here, but I did hold off on some speculations and clues that seemed to not get anywhere. I shared everything with Rick Ross over the phone as we spent many hours trying to solve the mysteries of this set. I am glad to see that some of those clues did get pursued further, and got more info than what I was able to dig up.

There are still many Mysteries about this set, and I do wonder if the original sculptor is still alive since this set seemed to appear first in the 1970s it is very possible. Also is the signature the sculptor's, or is it a reference to the most famous chess player at the time? Since the name on the chess pieces is R. Fisher, not R. Fischer I seriously doubt it. Still unknown, and I have not found any other sculpture by this R. Fisher.

I now own two of the original sets sculpted from the same molds, in the same basic method, but with some difference in mold quality, meaning the molds may have deteriorated over time, and the masters themselves were missing, so they had to make new molds from a copied set instead. This set is still unfiled and on my desk as an unsolved mystery until I, or someone else finds out who the sculptor was, and find out why so many people treated this set like it was Voldmort's. The fact that there have been so many variations on it of which I have found more, makes me think it had to have some sort of importance beyond being seen in a film at the time was kind of a bomb. Maybe the fact that more people are making copies of the set might bring out the rest of the info, and the unknown man that supposedly ran off to France with the masters. Lets' hope.

Andy

I have been holding off on this for a couple reasons: 1) Waiting until Gordon Gecko's sets are done (but I have not heard from him in a meaningful way since September 2018), and 2) I am considering offering a set based on castings of my originals.
I did the photography and all of the research, but he did the photogrammetry, and worked really hard on the sets...so I can't release them until I hear from him.

Just to be clear, this was a labor of love. To date, I have not received one penny for any sets that were made from my files, nor have I received even a set myself. It was all done, just to try to get something out there so people could afford it, and do it the right way. Remember, I flew to England and actually went to Hoyle's to talk to them about the buying the copyright. I am trying to do the right thing.

One other issue, is that we have already found people recasting and/or trying to take advantage of the situation...so not sure how to proceed here. I was just trying to get the information to the community. I don't really care, personally, about making anything on this, but the deluge of messages on Facebook, and other groups about who's stealing what...who is saying the images are theirs (I serialized the pieces, so I know they are mine), etc. has just taken the joy out of this for me.

What was meant to be a fun gift to the community has actually resulted in my almost complete withdrawal from here, all the FB groups I used to post in, etc.

Not trying to be negative, but just being honest. It has actually basically ruined props for me completely.

I am trying to get ahold of Gecko, but no luck since last September. Perhaps, I suspect, he is just swamped. I think we all need to remember that life has to come before props.

In summary. I have hundreds of photos that were used to make photogrammetry files by Gordon Gecko. But I cannot release the photogrammetry files myself because I am not the one who did them. We were doing it together. I will do the right thing here, and wait to hear back from him.

Sorry to hear about what's been going on with this.

I kinda just stumbled into this topic, and that's some serious leg work you did. It's so unfortunate that some folks just don't care or appreciate the work put in to things like this.

There are too many people out there who want something for nothing, or want to cash in on someone else's hard work. It's a real bummer, and it's become far too easy to do.

I hope you hear from your buddy soon, and that the bitter taste wears off even sooner.

If you do decide to do a run I would be interested especially as GG has been very quite for nearly a year on his run.

I have been holding off on this for a couple reasons: 1) Waiting until Gordon Gecko's sets are done (but I have not heard from him in a meaningful way since September 2018)...

I am trying to get ahold of Gecko, but no luck since last September. Perhaps, I suspect, he is just swamped. I think we all need to remember that life has to come before props.

In summary. I have hundreds of photos that were used to make photogrammetry files by Gordon Gecko. But I cannot release the photogrammetry files myself because I am not the one who did them. We were doing it together. I will do the right thing here, and wait to hear back from him.

I think a year is MORE than enough time to have heard back from Gordon, and to have let his run play out. I think you're an honorable bloke for having waited this long.

I think a year is MORE than enough time to have heard back from Gordon, and to have let his run play out. I think you're an honorable bloke for having waited this long.

OK. I'll release the Kraken. I have the best photos for making the files now. Who can do a great job making the files/has interest. I'm going to just release them into the wild.

I tried with the files already released the other night but my laptop wasn't up to high resolution quality without an Nvidia graphics card. This was using meshroom. I'll look into alternatives.

It did produce a very low poly model but nothing worth using for a replica.

I tried with the files already released the other night but my laptop wasn't up to high resolution quality without an Nvidia graphics card. This was using meshroom. I'll look into alternatives.

It did produce a very low poly model but nothing worth using for a replica.
Wait. I have better pics. Need a couple days to find them. You'll get better results.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back