RIP Chris Cornell

Very sad news, we probably won't know the entire background for a few days. Keep his friends and family in your thoughts, they are likely going through hell.

Am I wrong that he was married and had kids recently? I got the feeling he was mellowing out lately after his crazy young days. If this was mental health thing, I hope it encourage people to seek help, and that it's okay to do so

My sister told me this last night and I thought it might be a FB fake post (she falls for them all the time). I think he must have had some mental health problems because he was on top of his game and then killed himself. Big loss for rock fans.

Hi Wife put out a statement that this suicide might have been due to Anxiety medication.

"His world revolved around his family first and, of course, his music second. He flew home for Mother's Day to spend time with our family. He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children. When we spoke before the show, we discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do."

However, following Soundgarden's concert Wednesday night, Vicky noticed a change in her husband's demeanor when they talked on the phone after the show.

"When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him," she continued. "What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life."

This would explain why she was concerned enough later that night, when not reaching him, to ask someone to check on him.

Well damn, I take Ativan. Never heard of suicidal feelings as a side effect. That feels like a red herring. Ultimately it's the family's business though. Hate to see a useful drug demonized however.

Well damn, I take Ativan. Never heard of suicidal feelings as a side effect. That feels like a red herring. Ultimately it's the family's business though. Hate to see a useful drug demonized however.

Well online they do state:
"Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

confusion, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
hyperactivity, agitation, hostility;
hallucinations; or
feeling light-headed, fainting."

Last edited by a moderator:
DRUGS are BAD... MMMKAY....

IMG_2286.JPG

Was so sad to hear about this, being from the PNW, I've listened to nearly every artist who has grown from Washington and Seattle area. Back when Black Hole Sun came out, I really enjoyed how it sounded (I didnt get the lyrics, I was 5 at the time.) So devastating hearing about great artists passing, and then to hear how he did it makes me feel more down. Hope they let him rest, what happened happened. I'm tired of extensive investigations about toxicology reports when it doesn't change the fact the person has already passed and it seems to cause more grief. Another grunge legend gone :(

Very sad to hear this news as I've always thought he was one of the best lead singers in rock n' roll history. Loved his work with Soundgarden and Audioslave. Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell....the singers from all my favorite 90s bands are dead now. :cry

Very sad to hear this news as I've always thought he was one of the best lead singers in rock n' roll history. Loved his work with Soundgarden and Audioslave. Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell....the singers from all my favorite 90s bands are dead now. :cry

I heard people saying they want a gofundme to protect Eddie Vedder since he's the only one that remains :(

Kurt to Chris. Those are officially the book ends on that period in music history.

You should be familiar with the medications you are taking. Suicidal thoughts/hurting yourself are a very clear and well documented side effect of Ativan, this warning is on (just about) any website that lists it.

Please be familiar with medication you are taking.

It is actually an extreme side effect listed on a lot of mediations for anxiety and depression. The idea is if you notice a sudden change, if you take too much or something along those lines it can actually hurt you so you should call in.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back