The Witcher (Netflix TV series)

Might as well "change up" EVERY well established book/game (in the Witchers case that would be various books and 3 games to date), to make sad agendas a reality. CirI is the daughter of a king, she has pale skin, green eyes and blonde/white hair.

Change it up... what nonsense.

There's no story purpose behind any character's skin color that I've seen in my 100ish hours of play. There are story reasons for people who are different races, like dwarves and whatnot.
There's no reason to get your knickers in a twist over a skin color change for any character, assuming that these things are all equal anyway.

As you are a self professed advocate of nonsense why would you bother to comment about changing written and already portrayed characters to an established fanbase? Are you also a advocate for trolling said fanbase with your agendas? Just to ruffle feathers?

What are they going to do with the next game or book? Just make the characters whatever to make the TV show match the mess they newly contrived?
Cannon is cannon...
The fans will answer, they won't watch it.

Characters are changed and adapted for screen all the time, including gender and ethnicity swaps. I'm not trolling anyone, just having a different opinion. Unless disagreeing with you is considered trolling.
In any case, yes I imagine the fans will respond.
As a fan I'll be checking out a couple episodes for sure.

Really? So Ciri's back story should just be ignored too? I think if you want the characters you are championing for you should write your own unique story and not mess with pre-existing established,published,and defined lore.

Characters are adapted for the big screen all the time? Who? Starbuck from BSG? Didn't go over too well as I recall.

As you are a self professed advocate of nonsense why would you bother to comment about changing written and already portrayed characters to an established fanbase? Are you also a advocate for trolling said fanbase with your agendas? Just to ruffle feathers?

What are they going to do with the next game or book? Just make the characters whatever to make the TV show match the mess they newly contrived?
Cannon is cannon...
The fans will answer, they won't watch it.

Yes. Absolutely. That is the status quo. ;) Don't like it, don't watch it. Rebel scum!

Well you know how the saying goes... when nobody watches it, they will cry fowl and label anyone who doesn't like it as x, y, z.

I guess it's okay to disrespect Polish culture though. It's not like this is a cultural folklore or anything...

Muh creative interpretation!

Last edited:
I thought in the books she wasn't supposed to be "gorgeous." She was even supposed to be less beautiful than her peers. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Either way, I don't care how she looks or how old she is. As long as she can pull off the character.

I thought in the books she wasn't supposed to be "gorgeous." She was even supposed to be less beautiful than her peers. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Either way, I don't care how she looks or how old she is. As long as she can pull off the character.

I've actually started reading the books and finished the first batch of short stories last night. She is described in the book as NOT being astoundingly beautiful, but as having a certain charisma that draws people to her. It's less about her looks than about her presence. She's described as having a nose slightly too long, her lips a shade too thin, and one shoulder a bit higher than the other due to her condition (which I won't mention for those who don't want spoilers).

Yeah, i'm officially done with Netflix:facepalm

Casting a woman with visible Indian features to play Yennefer and a woman of African decent to play Fringilla Vigo knowing full well that the characters and their appearance are heavily based on Polish folklore and history.

Congratulations Lauren S Hissrich, Netflix just lost another subscriber.

fvnnf23urglkrot4xasa.png

Yeah, i'm officially done with Netflix:facepalm

Casting a woman with visible Indian features to play Yennefer and a woman of African decent to play Fringilla Vigo knowing full well that the characters and their appearance are heavily based on Polish folklore and history.

Congratulations Lauren S Hissrich, Netflix just lost another subscriber.

Who cares? It's a fantasy world. There is no Poland in the Witcher universe. This is what happens when people take it too far.

Screen tests and short reveals are all well and good, but I want to know how he does with children. Because, let's be real here... Geralt's relationship with Ciri is, ultimately, the most important facet of his story. It won't matter if he looks the part, or if he has melt-the-screen chemistry with the actress playing Yennefer; if he isn't believable as Ciri's surrogate father, then the project is pretty much DoA.

Who cares? It's a fantasy world. There is no Poland in the Witcher universe. This is what happens when people take it too far.

Changing the story of a beloved book series because of a political agenda is taking it to far.

Apparently you also care because if you didn't you wouldn't have commented on my post. If it doesn't matter to you, then why support the change and try to ridicule the opinion of a large group of people?

I care and most people who are a fan of the Witcher books care, the entire series is based on Polish folklore and history and changing the ethnicity of a character changes the entire backstory of that character.

I'm not opposed to adding diversity to this series mind you, just changing characters that have already been established!

Last edited:
Changing the story of a beloved book series because of a political agenda is taking it to far.

Apparently you also care because if you didn't you wouldn't have commented on my post. If it doesn't matter to you, then why support the change and try to ridicule the opinion of a large group of people?

I care and most people who are a fan of the Witcher books care, the entire series is based on Polish folklore and history and changing the ethnicity of a character changes the entire backstory of that character.

I'm not opposed to adding diversity to this series mind you, just changing characters that have already been established!

I don't give a damn about diversity, I think they ought to hire the best qualified actors regardless of race, gender or anything else. It ought to be skill and nothing else. But you're arguing effectively reverse diversity, refusing to hire actors or actresses because of their race, gender, etc. That makes you a racist, every bit as much as the pro-diversity regressive idiots that hire specifically to meet racial or gender quotas.

If you don't like it, fine, don't watch it, nobody cares. But posting this stuff does not make you look good. Just saying.

A racist now am i?

Expecting an ethnically appropriate person to be hired for what is in essence a period piece set in Eastern Europe during the middle ages?

And i'm a racist for wanting it to be as written in the books?

It's very simple and most people agree. Characters that are established should remain how they were written, if the creators of the show want to add new characters of other ethnic backgrounds well that just fine by me!

Saying you think they aught to hire the best qualified actor for the role regardless of race or gender is just ridiculous, whats next Anthony Hopkins playing Shaka Zulu?

And no, i don't care what people think of me at all :facepalm

There are ELEMENTS of the books that are inspired by Polish/Eastern European folklore, yes, but there's quite a bit that is not. Furthermore, how do you know that Medieval Poland didn't have contact with people who weren't white? You're discounting the concept that they would have had contact with cultures like the Huns, the Tartars, and the Karaites Jews, not to mention the Muslims who would give rise to the Ottoman Empire. Just because it's a predominantly Caucasian area now (which frankly, I kind of doubt), doesn't mean there wasn't contact with those groups.

Also, let us not forget that Skellige is an absolute bastardized mashup of Celt/Scots/Norse cultures and Nilfgaard is a pretty blatant rip off of the Roman Empire, one of the most diverse cultural groups in the Ancient world.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back