Wonder Woman - Golden Themyscira Armor

springsteel

Anyone else out there wanting to build Diana's golden dress from Themyscira? This was a design that I was a little torn on, not quite knowing what to think of it (classic case of another mini-dress on the battlefield), but the recent Mother's Day clip of Diana training under Hippolyta's gaze completely won me over. DragonCon here we come.

I'll share my progress here, and also use this page to bank screen shots and other reference photos for others interested in the design to use. Anyone else is free to join in on building this costume and sharing their experience here!

Also, amazing high-res images from RPFer mdb
http://www.arrayedindreams.com/2017/06/15/amazon-costumes-diana-gold-training/

8461545-menalippe-diana-hippolyta-antiope.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.41.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.40.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.40.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.40.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.39.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.38.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.38.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.38.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.42.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.42.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.43.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.45.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.45.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.46.21 PM.pngtumblr_onn59f9awm1uorz8zo1_r1_500.pngWonder-Woman-Behind-The-Scenes-Still.jpgwonder-woman-gal-gadot-dr-pepper-header-238768-1280x0.jpgWonder-Woman-Themyscira-Still.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.39.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 2.39.26 PM.png
    710.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! This is the thread I've been looking for! Any ideas on skirt material?

My plan is to use and dye pretty silk fabric I picked up several years ago. It's thin, light, drapey (like a thick georgette?). I plan to test a piece to see if it will pleat first.

Another idea, keep an eye out for pleated skirts at thrift and discount stores. Might be able to come up with something interesting there.

Will you make your own Wonder Woman costume?

That's the plan! My schedule is incredibly busy right now, but I hope to start in a few weeks.

My plan is to use and dye pretty silk fabric I picked up several years ago. It's thin, light, drapey (like a thick georgette?). I plan to test a piece to see if it will pleat first.

Another idea, keep an eye out for pleated skirts at thrift and discount stores. Might be able to come up with something interesting there.

That's the plan! My schedule is incredibly busy right now, but I hope to start in a few weeks.
Looking forward to your costume tutorial:)

I took the ultra hi res images that were relseased a few weeks ago and broke down the materials for the skirt and bustier.
http://www.arrayedindreams.com/2017/06/15/amazon-costumes-diana-gold-training/

The skirt is a super fine suede. Seriously fine, which is why it's hard to tell what it is. It even held a really nice pleat when made as there is a (screenprinted?) pattern on the skirt that matches up with the pleats.

If using a fabric see if you can treat the cut edges so you don't need to hem them. It could be as simple as a super fine fusible layer on the reverse.

The skirt is a super fine suede. Seriously fine, which is why it's hard to tell what it is. It even held a really nice pleat when made as there is a (screenprinted?) pattern on the skirt that matches up with the pleats.

No. Way. That makes so much sense! I noticed the underside lacked the same ombre of the outer skirt, but never thought of suede. Amazing photos! I'm going to add your link to the original post.

It looks like split pigskin. I'm wondering if the pleats were set with an iron, causing the darkening, or if that is a painted texture. I imagine you could "set" the pleats with silicone or PVA, some of the creases are pretty crisp, and pigskin won't stay like that for long on its own.

James

IMG_7882.JPG

Here's my rough draft. This is a polyester/spandex blend from JoAnns that moves beautifully. I was thinking about dying it and using an airbrush for the darker details, but I may simply remake it with a microsuede now that we've got some updated photos and info. Thank you mdb !!!

52199931800__D61E6E18-499F-41A9-8D57-97F6D399A21E.JPG

So, I decided not to change my skirt material after all (I like this fabric way too much and I haven't had any success finding a good microsuede or leather lining). Since my last post, I dyed the skirt, shortened the length, widened the slit, and distressed with an airbrush. I am super happy with the results!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Now, on to those gladiator sandals.... Has anyone else gotten this book?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1785654624/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has some amazing reference pictures that confirm her sandals have a snake/boa emboss. The book also confirms that her Amazon bodice is truly made of leather

(Thanks for the notice Goldhawk I've got the images working now!)

@springsteel Your drawings have been a huge help! This bodice sure is a puzzle just like you said.... I've spent the better half of an afternoon looking over pictures trying to figure out how to put this thing together and I've finally settled on what will be my version. So far as I can tell, each time the direction of the zebra-ish pattern changes, that indicates a separate piece of leather. So, here's each section labeled accordingly:

IMG_8010.JPGIMG_8011.JPGIMG_8012.JPGIMG_8009.JPG

Sorry all.... I cannot get them to load vertically!

IMG_8012.JPG

IMG_8011.JPG

IMG_8010.JPG

IMG_8009.JPG

Sup guys! I happened to bump into a guy at comic con last weekend who was one of the crafters on this costume (and others in the film) and I have some ~insider~ info that I thought you would find useful :) the skirt is pigskin split, screen printed with the pattern. The bodice, contrary to what I and everyone else thought, isn't actually leather. While the background amazons' costumes are, Diana's training armour is cast urethane rubber, just like the main red and gold outfit! (I was shown a pic of the inside of it after it was cast!) Unfortunately I don't have any of the pictures, because they were just shown to me, but I hope this info can be useful! :D

Wow, that's awesome! I had actually bought some split pigskin (easy to find from Tandy), thinking it would be good skirt material, but it still seemed too thick to me. Guess I was wrong! I ended up using some strips of it for the material under the bracers, but maybe I'll make a skirt out of it one day? I've got DragonCon in sight, so no time to redo the one I have right now.

Typically in movies there are several different versions of the costumes.made, from different materials, depending on what the camera shot needs (movement of the material, action scenes, etc). There was most likely a set made of cast urethane and another made of actual leather.

IMG_2805.JPG
I'm convinced hot glue, rubber cement, and paint can salvage this in time for GenCon Friday :-D. Was curious if her gladiator shoes were light tan like in the action figure or darker brown?

- - - Updated - - -

PS - ya'll are amazing. These reference pictures have been amazing <3 THANK YOU x1000 <3

Shoes are light tan. They are similar to flats with toe, heel and lower portion of the foot covered, the remainder open - and of course the strapping in dark brown. In Springsteels second post, the first photo (profile full body) is a good reference.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back