"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Mercer said it was ink (ever try to get ink out of a white lampshade?), and it makes sense if you think the blue guy is an aquatic alien. Think of a squid when threatened. And after getting caught in bed with another man's wife, I imagine that the blue guy certainly felt threatened. :lol

David.

No way that joke delivered as an almost interrupted orgasm.

Mercer said it was ink (ever try to get ink out of a white lampshade?), and it makes sense if you think the blue guy is an aquatic alien. Think of a squid when threatened. And after getting caught in bed with another man's wife, I imagine that the blue guy certainly felt threatened. :lol

David.
Sure, it could be interpreted either way, but...

No way that joke delivered as an almost interrupted orgasm.
The "ink" line was for Standards and practices.
...as Bryan and Seth have shown here, I wasn't the only viewer who interpreted it as a "sex" gag. And we aren't alone; on other forums I frequent a lot of members interpreted the scene the way we did.

That being said, I honestly think the scene could be interpreted either way; it depends on the viewer's mindset. But the comments I've seen online suggest the intent was clearly sexual.

Some points about the third episode:

1) Despite the occasional bit of comedy, this episode was surprisingly heavy.

2) Halston Sage (Alara Kitan) is completely adorable.

3) I've only seen him twice over three episodes for a total of less than ten minutes of screen time, but I REALLY want someone to pour some quicklime all over Gelatin Boy.

David.

The actual line was "See if your compatibility program can get blue out of a white lampshade."

That facility they went to in the pilot, isn't that a water treatment
plant that was used on a season 2 TNG episode? The one where Wesley fell in the plant structure?
I wondered that too, but no:

Attachments

• justice_hd_040.jpg
    justice_hd_040.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 2.38.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 2.38.49 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 131
I don't get "it doesn't innovate" criticisms. (Not just here, I see it elsewhere about other things, too.) Almost by definition, not everything can innovate. Nor should it. Can't it just be something that does what it does well, even if other things have done something similar before?

It's true that not everything has to innovate. But just copying something is rarely interesting. And I feel The Orville copies too much of Star Trek without adding to it in any appreciable way.

It's like a tribute band. They may try to sound and look just like your favorite band, but they don't bring anything new to the table either. At the end of the day, you're watching a lesser version of the band you liked. No matter how polished their act is, they'll never be as good as the original band because they didn't really create anything, they only copied what someone else created.

But I'm sure that same location (from The Orville) has been used elsewhere before, if it wasn't for that I think the production is LA based I would swear that the location is in Vancouver somewhere because I'll be damned if I haven't seen it on SG-1 or BSG before.

Tried watching episode 3 on Fox's website today, but something's wrong with their site.
So I only saw about a third of it.
Hopefully they'll get their **** together and I can watch the rest tonight, cause I was liking it so far.

But I'm sure that same location (from The Orville) has been used elsewhere before, if it wasn't for that I think the production is LA based I would swear that the location is in Vancouver somewhere because I'll be damned if I haven't seen it on SG-1 or BSG before.

I know I've seen that place used somewhere...maybe it was a movie or a different TNG episode hmm.

episode 3 with the gender subject seemed a lot like what TNG did in that one with the genderless alien
Riker fell for.
Kinda cool it didn't default to a "happy ending" to stop the procedure.

I did notice all the blue that some have mentioned and yes, even the phasers/lasers from the ship
and the tractor beam is blue..

Last edited:
Finished the episode. I'm really liking this show. I didn't expect to.
I don't care if it's just Seth's "vanity project" - I'm on board with his vision, and I hope he gets to keep making more.

I can't help but wonder if this show is Seth's middle finger to JJ Trek - like "Dr. Horrible" was Joss Whedon's middle finger to the prequels.
Seth's way of saying "THIS is how you write Star Trek, you yobs".

The STNG episode was filmed at the Van Nuys water treatment plant. Its about 2 miles south/southeast of the Van Nuys air port if you want to google earth it.

Saw the baby gender episode tonight, little funny, little sad.

The Orville is a prime example of the trope Trailers Always Lie. The trailers made it out to be this extreme comedy, basically Family Guy in space, but instead, it seems to be a serious drama with a little comedy thrown in.

It could have been that the crew was a ragtag band of misfits with just a few competent people (especially since it's a Seth McFarlane show), but amazingly, everyone seems competent at what they do. Their personalities just seem to be off-putting.

I think it's basically this:

Seth MacFarlane decides if Paramount/CBS isn't going to make Star Trek to right way, he'll do it himself. Because he's who he is, he pitches it as an elaborate parody that basically does the same thing as Trek-- examine current sociopolitical issues, but instead of appealing to audiences via sci-fi wonderment (which we are now saturated with) he'll use satire.

I'm sure the network is having the same complaint as everyone else-- this is too clearly a take of Trek to be considered a serious show, but it's not funny enough to be comedy. If it gets a second season, I'd expect a push to go deeper into one ca,p or the other.

For my money, as I've said after every episode, I'm fine looking over it's faults for the fact that I am getting such joy out of old school style Star Trek stories.

Bloody excellent third show. I'm quickly finding myself enamoured with this. It's fun, telling some good basic stories and looks great.

Favourite line was when Kelly responds to the idea that being female is somehow like an affliction. "Oh, I'm sorry, just had a case of the **** all day." (or something close to that, can't check) Her delivery was brilliant, genuine lol moment.

The Orville is a prime example of the trope Trailers Always Lie. The trailers made it out to be this extreme comedy, basically Family Guy in space, but instead, it seems to be a serious drama with a little comedy thrown in.

It could have been that the crew was a ragtag band of misfits with just a few competent people (especially since it's a Seth McFarlane show), but amazingly, everyone seems competent at what they do. Their personalities just seem to be off-putting.

Looking back at the trailers, I don't think it was sold as extreme comedy. If you didn't see Seth Macfarlane and had no idea about his previous work, it just comes across as funny Star Trek. And that's exactly what it is.

I finally saw the third episode today and I thought it was really great. Even though I didn't like what they wanted to do to the baby I was actually happy with the decision made and that the show didn't do what I'm sure most of us thought they would do.

I've been very pleasantly surprised so far and plan to keep watching.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back