"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Such mixed feelings about this one. I love the Alara character and have been really wanting to see more of her, but I hate these POV psychological crazy episodes. I know TNG used to do them at least once a season, so did Stargate. Farscape it seemed like every other episode, so I guess it's just something you have to put up with if you like sci fi, but they are usually my least favorite episodes. This one was at least made tolerable by being an Alara episode. Also, Bortus in the powdered wig was strangely hilarious to me.

Edit, it's not much of a spoiler, but I posted five minutes after the episode aired on the east coast so I figured most hadn't seen it yet.

Last edited:
The twist at the end of this one actually caught me off guard.

I enjoyed the episode, and the Doctor played crazy pretty effectively!!

Only two episodes left, though???!!! Boooooooo!!!!!

The twist at the end of this one actually caught me off guard.

I enjoyed the episode, and the Doctor played crazy pretty effectively!!

Only two episodes left, though???!!! Boooooooo!!!!!

I really liked this episode. Towards the end I was beginning to wonder if she was dreaming all of this but the simulation was a much better idea.

Does that mean we have to wait until next September for season 2 or is season 2 going to start in February like they do with some other shows? I'm really going to hate it if we only get 12 episodes per year.

...Does that mean we have to wait until next September for season 2 or is season 2 going to start in February like they do with some other shows? I'm really going to hate it if we only get 12 episodes per year.
Someone on another forum I frequent posted a link to an article that stated they have 13 episodes finished for Season 1, but that FOX decided to hold back the 13th episode and air that as the first episode of Season 2. To answer your question, as far as I know Season 2 will probably premiere some time in or near September 2018.

It shouldn't take a year to film a television series. This ain't Game of Thrones.
It takes time to render those effects shots; the show uses more CGI than most people think. Also, acting isn't a "9 to 5" job; they work a lot of long and unusual hours, so the cast and crew get a break from that while the show's on hiatus.

"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

It takes time to render those effects shots; the show uses more CGI than most people think. Also, acting isn't a "9 to 5" job; they work a lot of long and unusual hours, so the cast and crew get a break from that while the show's on hiatus.

Not to mention, much unlike GoT, or The Walking Dead, the show did not have a mid-season break. What we've seen (with the exception of the announced cancellation of what would have been the season finale episode) is a full season run. The only shows I know that's have done that were either before the whole start of the mid-season break concept or Defiance (recent sci-fi show that required a lot of CG work as well).

Additional Edit: Just saw the recent episode and I thought it was very well executed. In fact, I kinda wish that the original Star Trek used a temporary mind wipe for the Kobayashi Maru (would cut down on any additional cheaters like Kirk).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"Full season runs" used to be 26 or more episodes. What happened?
Pretty pathetic, isn't it? I can understand it to some degree with The Orville, or any other new shows for that matter. These days production companies are less willing to spend the money for a full season on a show that may or may not succeed, and if it really bombs they have few options to try to recover the money they've spent beyond releasing it on DVD and/or Blu-ray and hope it sells well enough for them to at least break even. But a lot of shows only produce 12-13 episodes a season now even after they're established, and I can only guess that's because the Internet, electronic devices, and home theaters have pulled people away from their televisions, so viewership has declined.

I actually enjoy shorter seasons.

I find with less episodes the chances of having several duds goes down significantly, and I'd rather watch 12 good episodes of a show than 10 good episodes and 13 "meh" episodes.

Also, with so much quality stuff to watch it's nice to have a bit less of each one. I feel like I'm always two weeks behind on my DVR as it is...if everything I watched had 26 episodes I'd probably have to just stop watching a few things altogether just to be able to stay kind of caught up.

For me, that's the issue right there--I don't find "so much quality stuff to watch" when I'm surfing through the channels trying to find something worth watching. 98% of what's on television today is complete garbage, and I'm being generous with that estimation.

True for me as well. The Orville is the only current show I watch, everything else is on the retro rerun channels.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back