"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I'm looking forward to this but as others have already pointed out it may not last long since it is on Fox.

On the plus side: the effects look good, the bridge looks so much better than the JJ-prise one, the alien crew aren't over the top or CGI - the Lt.Cmdr looks great, I'd rather have that as the new Klingons than the leaked images from Discovery. Also looks like a lot of good guest stars including a few faces from Trek.
On the negative: McFarlane (and Fox) - I would hope this doesn't mean puerile, infantile, and scatological jokes... but then there's a toilet joke in the trailer, a 'nagging' ex wife and an all-male species that I wish I could believe will be written as thought-provoking social commentary but I fear will just be McFarlane's excuse for gay jokes. Also, it looks a LOT like a Galaxy Quest ripoff/reboot (Mind you, that wouldn't have been a bad thing, but sadly not without Alan Rickman)

See, the thing is I really don't like Family Guy, but I do like 90% of American Dad.... And Roger (and the whole Lost in Space episode) prove he can do 'alien' aliens and a character with a very fluid gender/sexual identity that isn't gross. So, I'm conflicted. I'll watch, and just hope that it's less of a parody, and more a straightforward Sci-Fi comedy (like Red Dwarf). Problem is, if it is any good, (and not offensive) chances are it'll be cancelled

SO . . . he thinks marbles are mints? I just don't think McFarlane's writing is very good. Some times he's funny, but this one looks like a dud. I didn't even crack a smile during this trailer. Mostly I kept thinking "Galaxy Quest did that better" which is unfortunate. It's the kind of show I'd like.

Props, phasers, screen grabs!!! Lets see them!!!

Attachments

• phaser.JPG
    phaser.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 302
  • phaser2.JPG
    phaser2.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 242

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back