Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    May 15, 2017, 7:00 PM - "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #1

Just saw this trailer. Looks like it could be a fun comedy.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    May 15, 2017, 7:42 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #2

That looks pretty good. It's FOX though so anything that remotely smells like scifi is cancelled.
    May 15, 2017, 8:14 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #3

So this is a new show? I'm confused. Is Jon Faveau directing the pilot?
  4. Member Since
    May 2017
    May 15, 2017, 8:15 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #4

Really funny trailer. I like McFarlanes stuff. Hope it doesn't get cancelled after the initial run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    From
    Brisbane Australia
    May 15, 2017, 8:31 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #5

wow ,what an original idea a parody of Star Trek , that's so original
    NOT
  6. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    May 16, 2017, 12:34 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #6

cjchiu said: View Post
    So this is a new show? I'm confused. Is Jon Faveau directing the pilot?

Yes its it's a new series. Favreau is an executive producer on the series.
  7. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    May 16, 2017, 1:26 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #7

Yes, Yes and Yes. Make it so.....
  8. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    May 16, 2017, 1:40 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #8

I predict it is going to bomb commercially but be a great pleasure for a few.

On the other hand, there are many that have still not seen Hyperdrive or Galaxy Quest...
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Rocky Point, NY
    May 16, 2017, 7:19 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #9

I'm looking forward to this but as others have already pointed out it may not last long since it is on Fox.
  10. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    Bristol, UK
    May 16, 2017, 7:44 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #10

Dear lord, remember when a trailer used to show the best bits of a movie or TV show to lure viewers in... I couldn't make it to the end of the trailer.
    May 16, 2017, 8:47 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #11

Yeah, I'm really hoping they just put the worst jokes into the trailer and are saving the good ones for the show....Because this looks really lame.
    May 16, 2017, 8:53 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #12

I'll just cue up QUARK with Richard Benjamin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    From
    Kent, UK
    May 16, 2017, 9:23 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #13

On the plus side: the effects look good, the bridge looks so much better than the JJ-prise one, the alien crew aren't over the top or CGI - the Lt.Cmdr looks great, I'd rather have that as the new Klingons than the leaked images from Discovery. Also looks like a lot of good guest stars including a few faces from Trek.
    On the negative: McFarlane (and Fox) - I would hope this doesn't mean puerile, infantile, and scatological jokes... but then there's a toilet joke in the trailer, a 'nagging' ex wife and an all-male species that I wish I could believe will be written as thought-provoking social commentary but I fear will just be McFarlane's excuse for gay jokes. Also, it looks a LOT like a Galaxy Quest ripoff/reboot (Mind you, that wouldn't have been a bad thing, but sadly not without Alan Rickman)

See, the thing is I really don't like Family Guy, but I do like 90% of American Dad.... And Roger (and the whole Lost in Space episode) prove he can do 'alien' aliens and a character with a very fluid gender/sexual identity that isn't gross. So, I'm conflicted. I'll watch, and just hope that it's less of a parody, and more a straightforward Sci-Fi comedy (like Red Dwarf). Problem is, if it is any good, (and not offensive) chances are it'll be cancelled
    From
    Cheboygan, MI
    May 16, 2017, 10:25 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #14

SO . . . he thinks marbles are mints? I just don't think McFarlane's writing is very good. Some times he's funny, but this one looks like a dud. I didn't even crack a smile during this trailer. Mostly I kept thinking "Galaxy Quest did that better" which is unfortunate. It's the kind of show I'd like.
    May 16, 2017, 10:41 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #15

It also seems that he's getting most/all of the laughs/funny lines in the trailer. Much of an ego, Seth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    From
    Madison, WI
    May 16, 2017, 10:54 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #16

Great looking show, Horrible name.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    May 16, 2017, 12:32 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #17

I'll give it a chance
  18. Gone but not forgotten.
    From
    Danville KY
    May 16, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #18

Props, phasers, screen grabs!!! Lets see them!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May 16, 2017, 2:44 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #19

Sounds great in principle, but I've hated everything MacFarlane has ever done, so it probably isn't for me.
    From
    Madison, WI
    May 16, 2017, 3:09 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #20

I cant help but see Captain Scarlet every time i see those uniforms. They even have the shoulder thingies!

SCARLSM.JPG
  21. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Joliet, IL
    May 16, 2017, 4:30 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #21

I can't wait. I just hope if it does make it past the first season that it doesn't go the way of Family Guy, which I enjoyed, and push it too far.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    May 16, 2017, 5:13 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #22

That was just painful to watch. It's like he tried to copy Galaxy Quest minus the humor. Visually, it looks good, but the jokes were flat. Usually expect to see something in a trailer that ropes you in...for me, and I love just about everything Sci-Fi...it was a miss.
    From
    Hull
    May 17, 2017, 12:24 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #23

So I wonder how many of the people dismissing this as derivative will be tuning in for the sixth star trek tv show?
    From
    Kent, UK
    May 17, 2017, 6:02 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #24

glunark said: View Post
    So I wonder how many of the people dismissing this as derivative will be tuning in for the sixth star trek tv show?
    There's a difference between derivative: copying/spoofing/insulting an established show, and world-building: which is what TNG, DS9 and Voyager (and even Enterprise when it wasn't screwing continuity) did
    I'm not sure which of those categories Discovery fits into yet, and I don't know if everyone is calling The Orville a Trek spoof simply because it's sci-fi comedy on a ship, or if it is ​that un-original
    May 17, 2017, 12:05 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #25

A parody is derivative by design, so I'm okay with that.

Watched the trailer; I didn't laugh out loud but didn't despise it. With other creatives in the mix besides MacFarlane, it might have hope. I don't mind him as a person or a performer, just as a show creator/writer/runner. So we'll see.