"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Here's one thing decidedly non-Roddenberry Trek: they say "God" a lot. My God, for God's sake, OMG...

It really stuck out in this episode because they were talking to an alien race with their on theology, and it kind of got in the way---the aliens do not know whose name they're invoking.
Language itself is almost always a problem with sci-fi shows like this--how/why do all of these alien races speak English (or whichever Earth language it's dubbed into)? On Star Trek they sort of explained that by introducing their version of a "universal translator", then blew it by showing it to be a rather bulky hand-held device that they never carried with them and was only shown when it suited the plot point of the moment. Without such a device, the aliens not only wouldn't recognize the word "God", but they wouldn't understand anything Mercer and his landing party were saying. Of course, it's really just one of those compromises the audience has to accept or we'd have to endure countless hours of our "heroes" and the various "first contact" species' learning how to communicate with each other.

One thing I was always frustrated about that "For the World is Hollow..." never addressed, and am now doubly frustrated that Orville didn't either, is:

Why assume the ship is broken? OF COURSE it's heading toward a system. How do you know they didn't program it to slow down and achieve a nice safe orbit around a planet once it gets there? Wouldn't you?

(Of course, in both cases it did turn out to be broken, but still, it was an assumption based on zero evidence both times.)
I just accept situations like this as one of those, "It's currently on a collision course with fill-in-the-blank, but we'd better check it out just to be safe" moments.

I wasn't sure on the pilot, I enjoyed the 2nd, the 3rd was ok if a bit slow and talky. This one sealed it for me, I'm in now. Loved the fight with the Krill, especially the celebration afterwards. I couldn't help but think if that ep was ST TNG, it would have been mostly Picard struggling with whether they should intervene with this species or just correct the ship and let them figure it out on their own...
That's one of the things that I disliked about TNG. Sure, in the real world an in-depth discussion about the ethics, morality, and potential ramifications of their actions or inactions would probably occur, and rightfully so. That doesn't mean I want to watch entire episodes about it. Besides, Star Trek wasn't shy about breaking the non-interference rule when it suited their needs. Otherwise it would be, "Oh, right, non-interference. Oh well, set a course for..." :D

This show is filling the Star Trek shaped hole in my life.

Also, while obviously influenced, it actually is very different from Trek. It just seems similar to old Trek because current Trek is so weird.

Truthfully it's kind of going where no show has before. Is it comedy? Sci fi? Drama? Sciomeda?

What at first seemed like schizophrenia, now is starting to look like trailblazing. The mix of comedy and real sci fi is actually starting to feel normal. And cool.

I've not watched "The Orville" yet ( not sure where or when its showing in the UK ) but I was curious to check the feedback on RT after catching STD (an unfortunate acronym that but it rather accurately describes how I feel about it at this moment ) on Netflix UK and reading all the positive feedback here.

Whilst the critics have given STD quite strong support (86%) the audience feedback is more telling at 59% .Which seems to say it doesn't seem to be winning over alot of its target audience at this point, but I guess with that weakly writen pilot setting the series up completed perhaps it will settle down.

Interestingly the opinions on "The Orville" are exactly the reverse....... the critics have absolutely savaged it (20%) and the professional reviews are really painful BUT the audience seem to absolutely love it (89%) with the same favorable comparissons to the old Trek being made.

I've not watched "The Orville" yet ( not sure where or when its showing in the UK ) but I was curious to check the feedback on RT after catching STD (an unfortunate acronym that but it rather accurately describes how I feel about it at this moment ) on Netflix UK and reading all the positive feedback here.

Whilst the critics have given STD quite strong support (86%) the audience feedback is more telling at 59% .Which seems to say it doesn't seem to be winning over alot of its target audience at this point, but I guess with that weakly writen pilot setting the series up completed perhaps it will settle down.

Interestingly the opinions on "The Orville" are exactly the reverse....... the critics have absolutely savaged it (20%) and the professional reviews are really painful BUT the audience seem to absolutely love it (89%) with the same favorable comparissons to the old Trek being made.

I was noticing that as well. The audience score indicates that the people watching it are liking it, despite the poor reviews.

It will be interesting to see what happens as the numbers have dropped from over 8 million to under 4 million already. Hopefully it stays steady or experiences some growth as word of mouth gets around that it's better than the critics say it is.

You never want to pay attention to the "professionals" because most of the professional reviewers are bought and paid for by the studios, either for or against. This has been proven time and time again in various industries. Trust the people, the ones who watch this stuff for enjoyment, not the people who do it for a living and have to make the studios and advertisers happy. It's hard to go wrong that way.

...What at first seemed like schizophrenia, now is starting to look like trailblazing. The mix of comedy and real sci fi is actually starting to feel normal. And cool.
You could be right. In most shows like this the characters all seem to have this "polished" demeanor even when they're off duty. But the crew of the Orville has a more relaxed, casual feel that I think most viewers can relate to. For example, the banter between helmsman Malloy (Scott Grimes) and navigator LaMarr (J.Lee) is something many of us might hear at work. Granted, it's a comedy and isn't supposed to be taken too seriously, but I think that works in it's favor.

You could be right. In most shows like this the characters all seem to have this "polished" demeanor even when they're off duty. But the crew of the Orville has a more relaxed, casual feel that I think most viewers can relate to. For example, the banter between helmsman Malloy (Scott Grimes) and navigator LaMarr (J.Lee) is something many of us might hear at work. Granted, it's a comedy and isn't supposed to be taken too seriously, but I think that works in it's favor.

I REALLY like Lamarr's reaction to defeating the Krill ship. In lots of shows they act like nothing has happened when an event like this occurs, but I felt his response was pretty realistic and authentic, especially considering the adrenaline that would be pumping.

I thoroughly, thoroughly, enjoyed this last episode. I felt that the comedy finally hit a Balance that satisfied me...I particularly liked when Kelly told them where they could find her friends, it was so cheesy that I just laughed out loud. I also liked the awkward elevator scene at the end...I mean who hasn't been in an awkwardly silent elevator at some point in their life??

Im really liking the series. I hope it sticks around.

So it would be possible to have a actual "studio scale" kit for ....

orville.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You never want to pay attention to the "professionals" because most of the professional reviewers are bought and paid for by the studios, either for or against. This has been proven time and time again in various industries. Trust the people, the ones who watch this stuff for enjoyment, not the people who do it for a living and have to make the studios and advertisers happy. It's hard to go wrong that way.

I'm watching my movie's RT score plummet as it is tainted by fanboy bloggers who are somehow considered journalists. There is a huge difference between an educated well-written critique, and a fanboy rant-- and yet, they now have equal treatment.

I blame Harry Knowles.

I'm watching my movie's RT score plummet as it is tainted by fanboy bloggers who are somehow considered journalists. There is a huge difference between an educated well-written critique, and a fanboy rant-- and yet, they now have equal treatment.

I blame Harry Knowles.

Because there isn't any real difference between the two. That's the problem with so-called professional journalists, they've been tainted by the stink of paid advocacy, which your fanboy blogger hasn't, We've seen journalists turn into paid shills for the movie and game industry, to the point that nobody trusts them anymore. When one side depends on advertising dollars to get paid and the other doesn't, I'll take the ones that are not influenced by the very industry that they are reporting on, thanks. And so will most people.

Because there isn't any real difference between the two. That's the problem with so-called professional journalists, they've been tainted by the stink of paid advocacy, which your fanboy blogger hasn't.

Most people I know read reviews to get a general sense of what a movie is about — that's all. They're not letting the reviewer decide for them. And if they're familiar with a reviewer (as in, they've been reading them for years), they've likely developed a pretty good idea of that reviewers sensibility and taste and whether or not it's in sync with their own.

Was "so-called professional" film reviewer Roger Ebert a shill? Not by a long shot. I didn't always agree with his opinions but I knew they came from a genuine place and from a guy who had an encyclopedic knowledge and love of film.

A little cynicism is a good and necessary thing but if you're not careful, at some point it becomes tunnel vision.

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

Minus an "N" of course.

I was about to say...it's kinda not. haha.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, the elevator scene made me legit LOL.

Whilst it was really simple humour on the surface, it wouldn't have landed at all unless they added that part about "still nervous on elevators" at the end. I was wondering why I ended up lolling too, but thats good basic comedy.

Most people I know read reviews to get a general sense of what a movie is about — that's all. They're not letting the reviewer decide for them. And if they're familiar with a reviewer (as in, they've been reading them for years), they've likely developed a pretty good idea of that reviewers sensibility and taste and whether or not it's in sync with their own.

Was "so-called professional" film reviewer Roger Ebert a shill? Not by a long shot. I didn't always agree with his opinions but I knew they came from a genuine place and from a guy who had an encyclopedic knowledge and love of film.

A little cynicism is a good and necessary thing but if you're not careful, at some point it becomes tunnel vision.

Then in that case, there is absolutely no difference between a so-called professional reviewer and some guy with a blog doing movie reviews. I don't have to agree with a reviewer to get basic facts about the movie's plot. And no, Siskel and Ebert weren't shills, but they were part of a generation of reviewers long gone, people who had professional pride in their work and an ethical view of what they were doing. You don't get that today.

Then in that case, there is absolutely no difference between a so-called professional reviewer and some guy with a blog doing movie reviews.

Maybe, except that you were indicating that any "so-called professional" was most likely on the take. Every single one of them? You know that for certain? That's where the cynicism shifts into overdrive.

Anyway, it's an interesting topic but I don't want to derail the thread so I'll drop it.

I've only seen the first two episodes of The Orville but I'm having a hard time getting into it. It definitely seems to have good intentions but some of the writing feels like it was lifted right out of a sitcom. The comedy isn't all that funny and the drama isn't all that serious. I'm not sure what they're going for. But it's early on and I know it takes some time for a show to find its way so I'll watch a few more.

Maybe, except that you were indicating that any "so-called professional" was most likely on the take. Every single one of them? You know that for certain? That's where the cynicism shifts into overdrive.

Anyway, it's an interesting topic but I don't want to derail the thread so I'll drop it.

I've only seen the first two episodes of The Orville but I'm having a hard time getting into it. It definitely seems to have good intentions but some of the writing feels like it was lifted right out of a sitcom. The comedy isn't all that funny and the drama isn't all that serious. I'm not sure what they're going for. But it's early on and I know it takes some time for a show to find its way so I'll watch a few more.

When you look at the absurd difference between the "pro" reviewers and the rest of us on a lot of movies, what other conclusions can you come to? Now I'm not talking about The Orville here, but lots of so-called reviewers appear to have either a financial stake in the reviews they make, or an ideological one. They're not just reviewing the movie or TV show or whatever on its own merits, they have an agenda.

People are getting sick and tired of agendas.

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

Okay, but you're talking about two separate things. If someone writes a review in exchange for some kind of quid pro quo, then I agree — that's crappy and unethical.

But you'd be hard pressed to find a reviewer or critic, from any generation, who doesn't inject a little personal ideology into their reviews. That's the very nature of the thing... it gives you some context so you know where they're coming from and how they arrived at their conclusions. I find that to actually be useful when I'm deciding whether or not I want to continue reading them in the future.

Nobody is forcing anybody to read movie and tv reviews against their will, right? Read the reviewers you trust and ignore the rest. As for the outright shills, they're usually pretty easy to detect and ignore.

And now to bring this back to Star Trek, here's a visual summary of our conversation, which I've enjoyed, btw (apologies to dascoyne for stealing his bit):

Bones-and-Kirk.gif

(shoot, the gif doesn't seem to play without clicking on it)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back