"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

I liked it, it was a breath of fresh air in the sci-fi genre. Of course inspired by Star Trek, Galaxy Quest and others, but still reasonably funny, the special effects and interior of the ship looked very nice, and the story can go up from now on. Will keep watching.

Why does anyone express an opinion here? Your post makes no sense.

My point as if you know Trek isn't for you, why continually come in to a thread to just say that over and over. Opinions are valid of course, but if you know you don't like it, why waste your time?

THAT said, I was confusing your posts with somebody else's in the Discovery thread, so my bad!

My point as if you know Trek isn't for you, why continually come in to a thread to just say that over and over. Opinions are valid of course, but if you know you don't like it, why waste your time?

THAT said, I was confusing your posts with somebody else's in the Discovery thread, so my bad!

I didn't say it over and over, I said it once, then I responded to someone who responded to me. And you don't see me watching nu-Trek, do you? I give it a chance to prove me wrong, but no, I don't like nu-Trek, any more than I like nu-Star Wars. So I don't waste my time watching it by and large, but if the subject comes up, I am free to discuss it as I like, just as you are.

Regardless, it's off topic for this thread.

Right-- see the part where I apologized for mixing you up with somebody else? That means I'm not accusing you of anything, relax.

Anyway-- Episode 2 of Orville on tonight. I'm hoping that without a month of promos showing off most of the jokes they catch me with some decent laughs.

Tonight's DVR recording was screwed over by some overtime football game. I'm having some 80's flashback with this jock-vs-nerd DVR beat down.

The helmsman (Gordon?) is definitely more palatable with less screentime. Again, nothing terribly groundbreaking this episode, but I still enjoyed it.

First off I'm glad 'The Orville' is moving to Thursday's at 9:00 so we don't have stupid football games interfering with it.

I liked last nights episode. They didn't hit you over the head with the jokes, too much, and the ones they did were really good. I loved Kermit and the Obi-Wan reference and the solution at the end cracked me up.

I really enjoyed this second episode, I feel that they're beginning to really find their footing pretty quickly and that they're starting to find the right blend of comedy and drama. I like how the whole divorce thing is moving a bit more to the background and not so up front. If they're smart, the divorce thing will move more and more to the background as the season progresses with it only popping up now and again in future episodes.

At any rate, I liked how this episode seemed to be a (comedic) homage to a certain TOS episode and I liked how the doctor got a bit screen time along with the Lt. The cast seemed to have a better feel for their characters already and, as has been said before, the ending was hilarious.

One thing that kind of bothers me is the android, not from a character stand point, haven't seen enough of him to form much of an opinion on hi character but this design bugs me. Specifically, it's his eyes, they seem rather high up and that bugs me, because they're not where I think they should be. It also makes me wonder, can the actor actually see much or anything out of that mask? He doesn't do much except sit and stand, we really don't see him move around that much, so I wonder what if that's because of the costume's (highly) restricted visibility.

Yeah, loved the second one. Nice option on Fox.com to view one interactive commercial and then view without commercials.

It was a well written story that created tension. True science fiction. The ending was a bust out laughing solution that actually made sense. A lot of drug and alcohol references for a show that a lot of kids will watch.

The humans kept in a zoo is an old theme, even pre-dating Trek with "The Keeper" from Lost in Space, which aired January 1966 before Star Trek aired it's first episode. The ending was a great twist though!

The divorce bit is getting a bit old. I do hope they keep pushing it back and work on developing the relationship they have now, or will have.

I finally had the chan e to watch the first episode and really liked it. Some good jokes for sure and a fun story. Do you know how hard it is to get blue out of a white lamp shade and that gag was awesome.

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

I was iffy on the first episode, however, I really enjoyed the second. I hope it keeps going with that feel.

I wanted to like this show, but so far it's not doing it for me. It's in this odd middle ground between comedy and straight up Star Trek, and it isn't doing either well enough. The first two episodes are stealing too much from ST:TNG in the visuals, storylines, and characters. I understand parody and homage, but this isn't what's they're doing with this show. It comes off more as a cheap rip off.

The costumes are too cheap looking and uninspired in design, the while design of the ship's interior, from the bridge to the ready room to the medical bay to the console touchscreens is Star Trek: The Next Generation but not as well done. The cgi effects are not on par even with episodes of ST:TNG that aired nearly 30 years ago.

The storylines are blatent ripoffs; the second episode's storyline of the 22 year old security officer's first time commanding the bridge was done in several ST:TNG episodes (to better effect) with the characters of Counselor Troi, Data and Dr. Crusher. They even stole a line almost exactly that Data said in the season 2 episode (The Measure of a Man) - "Is it not customary to request permission before entering an individual's quarters?" - the 2nd officer alien guy sitting in his egg said the same thing, just worded slightly differently. I will admit, I could see that line being an inside homage to TNG, but since virtually everything else is copying TNG, it's hard to let it go.

Maybe I've seen too much of TNG to be objective. But one of the things about Star Trek that I enjoyed and routinely gets mentioned is it's innovation, it's ability to build on the past but move forward (not that all iterations of the Star Trek franchise always did that, but I'm referring more to TOS and TNG). They stories often tried to have a message, a deeper meaning, whether it was a reflection of political tensions of the time or dealing with racism and prejudice.

I'm really not trying to hate in The Orville. I think there's still time for it to gain it's footing and figure out what it wants to be. But right now, it's in a limbo of being an extremely derivative Star Trek ripoff without any originality or innovation, with paper thin characters, that also won't commit to be a full-on comedic parody.

Last edited:
I finally watched the first two episodes last night and found it quite enjoyable.

In the first episode I felt like they were a bit heavy handed with the humor...a bit more subtlety would have worked a bit better, but in the second episode it seemed to have that toned down a bit.

I like the the costumes and set design. I think if it can keep the momentum of the second episode going it could be a fun show.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back