"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

This was definitely not TOS, it was riffing on TNG and later. TOS is in a class of its own, far superior to everything that came after IMO.

The sillier elements are more TOS-like than the other Trek series. Space hippies and gangsters, Mudd, Tribbles etc. Later series homage that silliness with the occasionally comedic episode. But TOS is where it started.

And just so I'm clear, this is not a negative critique. I like TOS too, but I won't put it on too high a pedestal. I would roughly equate TOS and TNG as equally good but different.

The sillier elements are more TOS-like than the other Trek series. Space hippies and gangsters, Mudd, Tribbles etc. Later series homage that silliness with the occasionally comedic episode. But TOS is where it started.

And just so I'm clear, this is not a negative critique. I like TOS too, but I won't put it on too high a pedestal. I would roughly equate TOS and TNG as equally good but different.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinions, but as far as I'm concerned, Star Trek went off the rails with TNG when it became the neon-bright, technobabble-full, regressive liberal cesspool that it has maintained since then. And Orville had the same look, full-on neon sensibilities that I detest about post-Roddenberry Trek. Star Trek went from exploration for the sake of exploration, seeing what's out there because we can, to political correctness and regressive political utopia. Pass.

View attachment 758335
Was thinking more of a pastie, but figured the US contingent wouldn't have a clue what a pastie is.

You've never visited the Upper Peninsula of Michigan have you

"The Upper Peninsula has a distinctive local cuisine. The pasty (pronounced "pass-tee"), a kind of meat turnover originally brought to the region by Cornish miners, is popular among locals and tourists alike. Pasty varieties include chicken, venison, pork, hamburger, and pizza."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula_of_Michigan#Cuisine

Last edited:
Of course, you're welcome to your opinions, but as far as I'm concerned, Star Trek went off the rails with TNG when it became the neon-bright, technobabble-full, regressive liberal cesspool that it has maintained since then. And Orville had the same look, full-on neon sensibilities that I detest about post-Roddenberry Trek. Star Trek went from exploration for the sake of exploration, seeing what's out there because we can, to political correctness and regressive political utopia. Pass.

TNG actually had a darker pallete than TOS, which was oversaturated at times. TNG did have brighter lights on things like the nacelles, but that's about it. The uniforms in TOS were brighter, especially the red. You have to remember that back then color TV was relatively new and they used the heck out of it. In the 80's TOS-crew movies they toned down the color for a more realistic look while adding some zing with the lighting and TNG followed suit. The Orville seems to be a bit of both.

TOS had technobabble too. It was tamer, but there. TNG benefited from decades of scientific research that brought new words and concept to the table that didn't exist in TOS's time. We'll have to wait and see which way Orville swings.

Not going to debate current-day Earth politics or political terms here. Try and reframe your argument or cite examples. And please make sure it's relevant to Orville too.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/First_contacts

I count 42 for TOS, 44 for TNG.

I think that puts to rest the "exploration" argument. Too early to tell how Orville will go.

Like many here, I am withholding judgement. I did burst out laughing at the dog licking. Childish and random but funny.
Not sure if all the fight scenes are supposed to be amusing or tense.
Biggest fear is that I will really like it right before it's canceled.

...http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/First_contacts

I count 42 for TOS, 44 for TNG.

I think that puts to rest the "exploration" argument. Too early to tell how Orville will go.
You're overlooking the fact that TOS ran for three seasons for a total of 79 episodes (not counting the original pilot), while TNG ran for seven seasons with a total of 176 episodes. As such, TNG spent a lot more time not "exploring" or "first contacting" anything.

You're overlooking the fact that TOS ran for three seasons for a total of 79 episodes (not counting the original pilot), while TNG ran for seven seasons with a total of 176 episodes. As such, TNG spent a lot more time not "exploring" or "first contacting" anything.

The person I was responding to claimed TNG abandoned exploration for politics they find distasteful. That was the argument put the rest by showing there was plenty of exploration in TNG. And technically, TNG does have more first contact scenarios. Having non-FC episodes doesn't change the fact it is more raw exploration. There is just more, in addition to that.

Someone could also just flip the argument and say TOS lacked enough episodes about established species and other established things in the Trek universe.

Personally, I like a lot of the known alien-species episodes in Trek. Klingon's in TNG or Ferengi in DS9 for example. And a lot of those non-exploration episodes you get things like "Chain Of Command" or "In The Pale Moonlight". Would you argue Trek is lesser for those non-exploration stories? That they somehow take away from raw exploration of space?

Like many here, I am withholding judgement. I did burst out laughing at the dog licking. Childish and random but funny.

Well, it is on Fox...

Wouldn't a pizza pasty just be a calzone?
benwyatt-calzones-4.gif

I rather enjoyed it. After spending the last two months of nothing but a binge watch of Game of Thrones it was nice to be able to just turn my brain off and watch something light-hearted. Although the show is obviously Trek based, it reminded me more of my days watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Seemed to be more in that vein of dramedy.

The ship seems weirdly shaped to me. Looks like some kind of strange Japanese toilet.

I'll watch one, maybe two to judge it. I'm not a fan of McFarlane's more puerile humour (basically all of Family Guy, especially the creepy old Paedophile), although I do enjoy most (except the grossest stuff) of American Dad.
If it starts drifting into sexism, or any of McFarlane's supposedly-inclusive-but ultimately-offensive 'jokes' about disability or anything LGBT, then I'm out.

Coincidence the bad guys are the Krill, when it was a Krill that attacked the crew of the C-57D in Forbidden Planet????

Wouldn't a pizza pasty just be a calzone?
I'd say yes, but my neighbor who is from the area would probably argue that the crust and fillings are different. I'm sure it has something to do with the amount of Turnip, and other root veggies that are used in Pastys that don't get used in that making of pizza... but I'm not from the area , and I fall under UP rule 1.

Rule 1. Never argue Pasty anything with a person born and raised in the area for you are wrong!

The wife and I enjoyed it more than we thought we might. It can get better, or it can go down the tubes quickly. We will see.

Dog licking? When did that happen? I must have missed that.

I watched it last night after missing the Sunday premier, and thought it needed more jokes. A few scattered here and there made it feel "off", like it didn't know what it wanted to be. Space drama or sci fi comedy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back