"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Hell, i think they could have something if they cut the over the top stuff and were more Galaxy Quest humor or little to no humor. They seem to get trek a lot more than JJ or CBS.

If it goes Family Guy humor, i'm done. That isn't funny at all. Keep it straight and i think it could be good.

I'll admit i did like the Pizza Party 'awww, can we go??!?!' bit :)

I'm not convinced, it felt like the reboots of the old tv shows. Like Starsky and Hutch, where they rebooted a serious show into a comedy, like they actually tried to reboot original Trek into a comedy show.

I'l give it a couple of more episodes, but I'm not expecting a whole lot from it.

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

I liked it, but that might be because I'm not a big fan of his so I didn't watch this with any preconceptions.

I am nervous about them having their own version of the holodeck. Every third episode of Star Trek TNG/DS9/Voyager revolved around something going wrong in there.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

I am nervous about them having their own version of the holodeck. Every third episode of Star Trek TNG/DS9/Voyager revolved around something going wrong in there.

I think that will be a comedy goldmine. Given what it was implied that Barclay did, and what you know every teenage boy aboard the Enterprise would do with a holodeck... there's comedy there for sure. I'm positive it's going to be an episode.

Hell, i think they could have something if they cut the over the top stuff and were more Galaxy Quest humor or little to no humor. They seem to get trek a lot more than JJ or CBS.

I think this above all else is what hooked me. Humor aside-- it feels like classic TNG era Trek down to every beat.

Comes across like a blatant ST ripoff, with the cast wearing uniforms taken directly from Captain Scarlet. The android even sounds like Brent Spiner!

Well, as pilot episodes go it did what it was supposed to do, which is establish the premise and the characters. The trouble is, it didn't do much more than that. There was nothing special about it, and I think it was a watered-down version of what many of us were expecting--not edgy enough, not enough humor, not enough parody, not enough "in-jokes" about the sci-fi genre in general, or whatever. I don't know how many episodes they have "in the can" ready to be aired, but I'm hoping at some point they'll punch it up a bit and make it more than just another by-the-numbers dramedy show.

I liked the show overall. The visuals were well done. The costumes and props etc, all well done.

I thought they should tone down the comedy a little bit. And I don't ever want to see a starship move like that "hug the donkey" nonsense. That sequence could have gone much better.

I'm looking forward to the Frakes directed episode. Also I hope this thing gets to a second season. If not, maybe Netflix would pick it up.

I almost liked it, which is high praise given that I despise everything else McFarlane has made.
Very lackluster start. A lot of missed comedy opportunities, and it was edited ploddingly. The laughs weren't LOLs for the most part, they were just mildly amusing.
It doesn't help that almost all the jokes were spoiled in the promotional material.
The landed bad guy shuttles appeared and disappeared from shot to shot. And speaking of shots, they're worse marksmen than stormtroopers!
I'm a big Bruce Broughton fan, and was kind of disappointed to see his name at the end, because the music did not impress.

It has potential....will keep watching provisionally for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had read many reviews and so my expectations were adjusted....

Overall I liked it; TNG with a lower budget and more jokes. I'll watch the second episode...

The first season of TNG was so cringy that it put me off of following the show completely - even after folks were telling me it got better it was hard to build any enthusiasm about it.

I couldn't get through the first season, I dropped TNG entirely and never even revisited it until years later when a girlfriend's father was a massive fan and had it running constantly. I can sort of tolerate a lot of TNG now but I really don't like it, or any other post-TOS series.

I'm not convinced, it felt like the reboots of the old tv shows. Like Starsky and Hutch, where they rebooted a serious show into a comedy, like they actually tried to reboot original Trek into a comedy show.

I'l give it a couple of more episodes, but I'm not expecting a whole lot from it.

This was definitely not TOS, it was riffing on TNG and later. TOS is in a class of its own, far superior to everything that came after IMO.

6dd3c88a6b8cad759630fb841a38da7b.jpg
Was thinking more of a pastie, but figured the US contingent wouldn't have a clue what a pastie is.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

There was some really stiff acting, especially when the pilot guys met (whom are so memorable, I'm calling them "the pilot guys"). And I don't know that it needs to have some of the crude comedy beats ("blue out of lampshade"). But I still like the premise, and there's enough in the pilot that I liked to give the show a few more episodes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back