"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I'm more inclined to give this a go than STD and I don't have to pay extra to watch it. I'm going to give both of them a chance at least for the pilot episodes. The thing I'm more concerned about is it being on FOX and their history of not giving Sci-Fi shows a chance before cancelling them. Anyone remember a show called Firefly?

Seth misses optimism.
http://trekmovie.com/2017/07/24/sdc...mistic-sci-fi-for-star-trek-fans-new-trailer/
Wonder if part of his statement was indirectly aimed at Discovery.
I saw two problems while reading that: Brannon Braga and Sunday. I don't know how much influence Braga had on the stories but when he was running the Star Trek shows it seemed like they frequently had what I called "radiation of the week". And with this being on Sunday the show will never start on time, at least on the east coast, because of football.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

I think that guy was the same guy on that show when they did the big ST auction years ago. He didn't even know what a tricorder was called. He said something about they would just have the solution of the week be to reprogram the tricorder, except he said something like "...reprogram the... what do you call it? Yeah tricorder."

Sounds like Fox is doing another bang up job of marketing. I don't entirely trust reviews so I'll still give it a try.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

That review is written by someone who doesn't seem interested in traditional Trek. They might not understand what that audience wants, much like the STD showrunners.

I'm hoping it's good.

That review is written by someone who doesn't seem interested in traditional Trek. They might not understand what that audience wants, much like the STD showrunners.

I'm hoping it's good.

That was my take on the review too. It is like they have no frame of reference for what Star Trek was and are basing everything off of JJ Trek.

OK. I confess I didn't even watch the trailer until just now.
I like what I'm seeing.

Just when I think I'm completely sick of seeing Seth McFarlane he's actually looking good here.
I expected a second-rate Galaxy Quest but this is clearly not the same thing.

I have a good feeling about this.

It doesn't work as a comedy. It doesn't work as Sci-Fi. It doesn't work at all.
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-orville?ref=hp
Can't wait to see the ratings by episode 3. I'm know Im here bashing this show. But deep down...I really did want this to succeed as a Galaxy Quest/ STTNG successor. The odds were overwhelmingly against that..and more and more, it looks like it will be epic in its suckage.

It doesn't work as a comedy. It doesn't work as Sci-Fi. It doesn't work at all.
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-orville?ref=hp
Can't wait to see the ratings by episode 3. I'm know Im here bashing this show. But deep down...I really did want this to succeed as a Galaxy Quest/ STTNG successor. The odds were overwhelmingly against that..and more and more, it looks like it will be epic in its suckage.
Well that's a bummer. I guess I'll find out myself when I start watching.

Happy Arbor Day!

Not too bad, in all honesty. Some of the jokes were a bit too forced for me, but overall...not a bad first episode. A bit of a DS9 reunion with Sisko's girl and Julien's Dad. We'll see how long it last and if it can get better.

On a side note, you can really tell Macfarlane loves Trek. Shame he is not a better actor.

I haven't watched it yet but one thing that worries me me is the hazard of falling into the void between farce and drama. It's when the jokes become too sparse for a sitcom while the story remains too thin for sci-fi.

I was only able to catch the last few minutes of tonight's episode (I have my DVR set to record the encore on Tuesday), but I liked what I saw of it. McFarland seems fine in the lead and he and Adrienne Padalecki seem to have some genuine chemistry. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole episode.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back