"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

It would be really interesting if Seth took a gamble and wrote an entirely original song for them to sing in the next episode that features a karaoke session. I understand why they're using contemporary songs but in universe those songs would be really, really old.

Some people still listen to Beethoven.

True, but it's not quite the same as the crew of an entire ship singing karaoke. You don't see anybody at a karaoke bar seeing Medieval ballads or even singing popular 18th century tavern songs or even popular songs amongst the rich and powerful from the same period. The few songs that survive from that period, like "Yankee Doodle" have been relegated to the realms of children's songs.

True, but it's not quite the same as the crew of an entire ship singing karaoke. You don't see anybody at a karaoke bar seeing Medieval ballads or even singing popular 18th century tavern songs or even popular songs amongst the rich and powerful from the same period.

I can tell you've never been to a bar in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia, on a Friday or Saturday night, to have a pint.

True, but it's not quite the same as the crew of an entire ship singing karaoke. You don't see anybody at a karaoke bar seeing Medieval ballads or even singing popular 18th century tavern songs or even popular songs amongst the rich and powerful from the same period. The few songs that survive from that period, like "Yankee Doodle" have been relegated to the realms of children's songs.

Of course. But the show is satire-- to be relevant satire, you have to be current. I can't watch TOS without seeing all the 60s social commentary. Scifi that wants to comment is always a product of its time.

If Orville's point was to be a show about the future I'd agree with you-- but it's a show that's using Star Trek tropes to make social satire comments. For that I think it works. If we hadn't heard the opening bars of My Heart Will Go On there's no way Bartus going to sing would have been funny.

Of course. But the show is satire-- to be relevant satire, you have to be current. I can't watch TOS without seeing all the 60s social commentary. Scifi that wants to comment is always a product of its time.

If Orville's point was to be a show about the future I'd agree with you-- but it's a show that's using Star Trek tropes to make social satire comments. For that I think it works. If we hadn't heard the opening bars of My Heart Will Go On there's no way Bartus going to sing would have been funny.

I think you missed my point. As I said in my original post, I fully understand why they used contemporary songs, I just think that it would be interesting for them to write something original that would be contemporary to the time period that the show is set in, even if it's just the last few bars. It would be something different from the usual usage of contemporary songs and could be potentially become extremely popular with fans, just like how Trek fans learn to speak Klingon. I could see fans trying to write the complete song if we were only given a little snippet of it as well as singing it at cons. To make things even more interesting, they could make it a song that's extremely popular on either Bortus' or Alara's homeworld, complete with lyrics in their native tongues.

Considering that she recently, brutally murdered a man, poor Yaphit had no idea of the mortal danger he was in when the Doctor tracked him down with a blaster. :lol

Kelly wanted to know if the blue guy was in heat the first time, it would be pretty easy to find out. Just count back how long it's been, and investigate how often his race goes into heat. If the numbers don't match, then she has no one to blame, but herself.

I loved this episode, but it had a serious date rape vibe.

I've come to realize that this show is about people with absolutely no self control, self restraint, or mental filters.

David.

"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

Kelly wanted to know if the blue guy was in heat the first time, it would be pretty easy to find out. Just count back how long it's been, and investigate how often his race goes into heat. If the numbers don't match, then she has no one to blame, but herself.

Actually, I have a hypothesis about that which would explain a lot of things in relation to Darulio and his "being in heat", even more so with the fact that he didn't seem aware he was in heat or be able to give Kelly a direct answer, as well as him apparently being unaware that he was in heat before he came on board. I posted this as a response to the Fridge Horror section of the TV Trope's page for The Orville. Keep in mind, this is just my hypothesis:

Everyone is assuming that Darulio was in heat and that he knew it primarily because of how he acts (since we haven't seen another member of his species on the show, for all we know, he may act the way he does because that's how all of his species does). However, how do we even know if he knew he was? People assume that being in heat is a regular as clockwork type of thing, like the Pon Farr from Star Trek, where there's a certain period of time that elapses in between (in this case, it's seven years in between mating cycles). Did no one else think that maybe, for Darulio's species, its time and duration changes regularly? Since we do not get a clear explanation, it could be possible that it may be one day out of a year one year, it may be one day in three years the next. This would account for when he answered Kelly's question of if he was in heat when they hooked up a year before with an "I don't know": because even he can't be sure when he's in heat or not at times. For all we know, at the time the events of the episode occurred, he probably had no reason to suspect that he was in heat because he may have already had one period a short while ago or he probably assumed he was in a stretch of a long time in between the last time. That makes things both Fridge Brilliance and Fridge Horror: Fridge Brillance for an interesting twist on an alien species' reproductive system that shifts so many times that even they can't be sure when their next moment of heat is (Can anyone think of seeing something like that on Star Trek before?) and Fridge Horror for the fact that the species may not even know when they're in heat or not or when their next moment of being in heat may be coming.

----------------Back To Current Response-------------
Even then, from what's seen on the episode, Darulio stated that the effects lasted for about a day or two. From what it was implied, Kelly and Darulio had been together for a while before Ed found out. So, it's hard to really peg if she was under the influence or not (even if she was, it would have been for a couple of days like how it was seen in the episode). And even if she was, there'd still be some mistrust even if the answer was yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back