"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Ugh, the old countdown and stopping just before it reaches whatever number.

well, technically it was a count up.

Black Mirror did this episode better.

Seth said he wrote this episode a year and a half ago after reading "So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed". Which was before the Black Mirror episode aired if I have my dates correct. Not that you were implying anything. Besides there's room for more than one commentary on social media in the world.

Wow, what a depressing article. What the hell kind of future are we fashioning for ourselves?
I sincerely hope I'm dead before anything even remotely resembling something like this takes hold here in the U.S.. Then again, judging by the morons I encounter on a daily basis if they were put in charge of determining my fate I wouldn't last long anyway. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the back yard deciding where I want my remains to be buried...face down, so everyone who put me there can stop by to kiss my pale dead backside.

I sincerely hope I'm dead before anything even remotely resembling something like this takes hold here in the U.S.

I actually typed the exact same thing, but deleted it before I posted.
My future was supposed to be flying cars and colonies on Mars, not this Big Brother bull****.
The most depressing part is how people these days apparently just can't get enough of fascism.
Put it in a shiny wrapper with a price tag, and they'll line up around the block to buy the stuff.
It's baffling....

Okay, I absolutely LOVED this episode.

I really liked how it took into account so much in today's "socially driven" society. The idea of everyone, and what appeared to be everyTHING, having an "up/down" vote button is really, really interesting to me. How many times have people looked into something, seen that it has more "down" votes than "up" votes and just written it off? I get it, in some things it's a good way to go about your business...if I'm looking for hotels to book while taking a trip, I'm certainly not going to book one that has 1 positive review and 100 negative ones...however, in other things it seems that sometimes you might be better off looking into something yourself to see what you feel about it.

I think it's especially something that we here on RPF, as movie and entertainment fans, can really relate to. Movies, TV shows, games, and more all get reviewed...sometimes hundreds of times...and we often end up with things that we like, or dislike, that the "masses" typically disagree with. For instance...some of the more popular TV shows out there, I literally can't stand...and this one, that we are discussing here, is one that has fairly negative reviews yet I absolutely love it. If I were to JUST go by the "up/down" votes I probably wouldn't be watching "The Orville" at all.

I also liked how they even poked at the fact that SOME people end up being treated differently in the court of public opinion, and sometimes in the real courts, based on what they can do that entertains people. When John was asked if he had any talents, and told that people tend to like someone more if they can do something entertaining...that really kind of hits the nail on the head in our society today. If Joe Blow goes out and beats up his girlfriend, on camera, he ends up spending time behind bars. If an athlete or singer does this same thing, on camera, they issue an apology and end up going on their merry way. It really is true.

Another great point was when the girl was helping them "flood the feed" and they asked "What if someone tries to fact check these?" and she says "Don't worry, they won't." How accurate is that? Those of you with Facebook accounts, how often do you see someone sharing something that you just KNOW is incorrect, not true, or just a flat out lie?? People share things without checking to see whether what they are sharing is true or not, and other people then do the same thing. I felt that point was really well played into the scene.

I'm kind of babbling because I'm pretty tired, and I know I'm missing a few little nuances here, but this episode was just stellar in my opinion...even WITH the trope of "trying to beat the clock" that @NormanF mentioned. Sure, that's a pretty tired mechanic in really anything, and I really expected it to just end at 9,999,999...but other than that, I felt that this episode was just about perfect.

This.

ALL of this.

Also, Seth McFarlane is pretty good at creating a morally devoid world. I have never wanted to reduce a planet to its component molecules so much in my life.

Didn't "Sliders" do an episode like this?

I was really hoping the LT would get lobotomized. He refused to obey orders to be inconspicuous, he then disobeyed direct orders from his commanding Officer. He refused to take the situation seriously, then after having it driven home to him, he still acts stupidly. He should never be allowed off the ship again.

If you are going to send someone who will standout, or be discovered easily, then put makeup appliances on them to hide it. Or better yet, send someone who can't be easily discovered!

David.

Anyone else think the hat thing was a subtle nod towards white people having dreadlocks?

Also I don't know when this was written or filmed, but the trial by media and offending war heroes sounds a lot like the take a knee debate.

If you are going to send someone who will standout, or be discovered easily, then put makeup appliances on them to hide it. Or better yet, send someone who can't be easily discovered!

Especially after they just did an episode with holographic image changers.

Anyone else think the hat thing was a subtle nod towards white people having dreadlocks?
I think it was nothing more than a nod to the original series episodes in which they had to hide Spock's ears and eyebrows during an away mission, and he's eventually discovered by one of the indigenous inhabitants anyway. This time they used the guy in the hat's protest as the plot device that would lead to Lt. Kitan being discovered by Lysella.

Good episode. Made me think of people in real life who've been caught saying something on twitter, or in a cell phone video and it goes viral basically ruining their lives because they had one dumb moment. I was actually just thinking today how lucky I am that cell phones weren't a thing when I was in college. I was watching a video about a girl who actually said some truly obnoxious things, got filmed and is now basically famous (infamous) for it. I remember one argument I got into with a friend in school where we ended up actually yelling at each other out in front of the dorms over a difference of political opinion. Back then, we both cooled off, then later apologized and were back to being buddies by that night. Today someone would've filmed me yelling my stupid ass uninformed "I'm angry so I'm taking an extreme position" nonsense and it would probably follow me around forever.

Anyway, I found this episode relevant.

I introduced my wife to it last night. The fourth episode with charleze Theron.

It was quite funny, but also pretty bad.

That whole "seductive woman who takes over the ship" trope is one of the worst. It's been done on every show.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back