Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 11:52 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #276

The Mad Professor said: View Post
    Minus an "N" of course.
    I was about to say...it's kinda not. haha.

- - - Updated - - -

SethS said: View Post

That said, the elevator scene made me legit LOL.
    Whilst it was really simple humour on the surface, it wouldn't have landed at all unless they added that part about "still nervous on elevators" at the end. I was wondering why I ended up lolling too, but thats good basic comedy.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 12:43 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #277

Dem Bones said: View Post
    Most people I know read reviews to get a general sense of what a movie is about — that's all. They're not letting the reviewer decide for them. And if they're familiar with a reviewer (as in, they've been reading them for years), they've likely developed a pretty good idea of that reviewers sensibility and taste and whether or not it's in sync with their own.

Was "so-called professional" film reviewer Roger Ebert a shill? Not by a long shot. I didn't always agree with his opinions but I knew they came from a genuine place and from a guy who had an encyclopedic knowledge and love of film.

A little cynicism is a good and necessary thing but if you're not careful, at some point it becomes tunnel vision.
    Then in that case, there is absolutely no difference between a so-called professional reviewer and some guy with a blog doing movie reviews. I don't have to agree with a reviewer to get basic facts about the movie's plot. And no, Siskel and Ebert weren't shills, but they were part of a generation of reviewers long gone, people who had professional pride in their work and an ethical view of what they were doing. You don't get that today.
  3. RPF Premium Member Dem Bones's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 1:32 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #278

Cephus said: View Post
    Then in that case, there is absolutely no difference between a so-called professional reviewer and some guy with a blog doing movie reviews.
    Maybe, except that you were indicating that any "so-called professional" was most likely on the take. Every single one of them? You know that for certain? That's where the cynicism shifts into overdrive.

Anyway, it's an interesting topic but I don't want to derail the thread so I'll drop it.

I've only seen the first two episodes of The Orville but I'm having a hard time getting into it. It definitely seems to have good intentions but some of the writing feels like it was lifted right out of a sitcom. The comedy isn't all that funny and the drama isn't all that serious. I'm not sure what they're going for. But it's early on and I know it takes some time for a show to find its way so I'll watch a few more.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #279

Maybe, except that you were indicating that any "so-called professional" was most likely on the take. Every single one of them? You know that for certain? That's where the cynicism shifts into overdrive.

Anyway, it's an interesting topic but I don't want to derail the thread so I'll drop it.

I've only seen the first two episodes of The Orville but I'm having a hard time getting into it. It definitely seems to have good intentions but some of the writing feels like it was lifted right out of a sitcom. The comedy isn't all that funny and the drama isn't all that serious. I'm not sure what they're going for. But it's early on and I know it takes some time for a show to find its way so I'll watch a few more.
    When you look at the absurd difference between the "pro" reviewers and the rest of us on a lot of movies, what other conclusions can you come to? Now I'm not talking about The Orville here, but lots of so-called reviewers appear to have either a financial stake in the reviews they make, or an ideological one. They're not just reviewing the movie or TV show or whatever on its own merits, they have an agenda.

People are getting sick and tired of agendas.
  5. RPF Premium Member Dem Bones's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 4:22 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #280

Okay, but you're talking about two separate things. If someone writes a review in exchange for some kind of quid pro quo, then I agree — that's crappy and unethical.

But you'd be hard pressed to find a reviewer or critic, from any generation, who doesn't inject a little personal ideology into their reviews. That's the very nature of the thing... it gives you some context so you know where they're coming from and how they arrived at their conclusions. I find that to actually be useful when I'm deciding whether or not I want to continue reading them in the future.

Nobody is forcing anybody to read movie and tv reviews against their will, right? Read the reviewers you trust and ignore the rest. As for the outright shills, they're usually pretty easy to detect and ignore.

And now to bring this back to Star Trek, here's a visual summary of our conversation, which I've enjoyed, btw (apologies to dascoyne for stealing his bit):

Bones-and-Kirk.gif

(shoot, the gif doesn't seem to play without clicking on it)
  6. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 5:27 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #281

Okay, but you're talking about two separate things. If someone writes a review in exchange for some kind of quid pro quo, then I agree — that's crappy and unethical.

But you'd be hard pressed to find a reviewer or critic, from any generation, who doesn't inject a little personal ideology into their reviews. That's the very nature of the thing... it gives you some context so you know where they're coming from and how they arrived at their conclusions. I find that to actually be useful when I'm deciding whether or not I want to continue reading them in the future.

Nobody is forcing anybody to read movie and tv reviews against their will, right? Read the reviewers you trust and ignore the rest. As for the outright shills, they're usually pretty easy to detect and ignore.

And now to bring this back to Star Trek, here's a visual summary of our conversation, which I've enjoyed, btw (apologies to dascoyne for stealing his bit):

Bones-and-Kirk.gif

(shoot, the gif doesn't seem to play without clicking on it)

I clicked on it...it is an appropriate visual.
    From
    Irvine California
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 5:44 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #282

In todays always connected world everyone is a critic and everything is judged by a popularity scale. "All critics exist because they can't make", as my father used to say. Also, is it possible for a thread that contains Star Trek discourse to not be a ponderous mess? No, I don't think so either.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 11:47 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #283

Cephus said: View Post
    Because there isn't any real difference between the two. That's the problem with so-called professional journalists, they've been tainted by the stink of paid advocacy, which your fanboy blogger hasn't, We've seen journalists turn into paid shills for the movie and game industry, to the point that nobody trusts them anymore. When one side depends on advertising dollars to get paid and the other doesn't, I'll take the ones that are not influenced by the very industry that they are reporting on, thanks. And so will most people.
    Even though I find your constant use of broad generalizations and declarative opinions as fact-- I actually agree with you. I was referring to old school critics-- Pauline Keel, mayeb Siskel and Ebert. People with a knowledge of narrative and film.

The other big problem today is that most mainstream news outlets are now owned by corporations who are less interested in editorial thought, and only interested in a bottom line that is generated via ad revenue-- hence click bait and listicles. Journalism is dead.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 5, 2017, 4:55 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #284

I wouldn’t really consider movie reviews journalism. I consider them subjective opinion pieces. Ideally journalism should be objective, but I agree most journalism goes beyond who, what, when, where and why.
    From
    Danville KY
    1 Week Ago  Oct 5, 2017, 8:16 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #285

Anyone else think the engines of the Orville look like a mouth laughing with the tongue hanging out the middle?
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 5, 2017, 9:21 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #286

The Mister Potato Head was great.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    1 Week Ago  Oct 5, 2017, 11:24 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #287

I can't believe I forgot Charlize Theron was going to be on tonight! I ran to the grocery store thinking I had time to grab a few things and get back home on time... nope! Two cashiers and a line at each. Got home halfway through the show and couldn't believe my blunder when I turned on the T.V. and saw her.

How cool were her outfits though! I loved this one...
    Charlize Theron - The Orville - 01.jpg

Can't wait for Season 1 Blu-Ray to come out!

I wish I had enough Hollywood clout to write my own show, get Charlize Theron to co-star in it, and write love scenes where I got to kiss her. Seth MacFarlane is one lucky duck!!!
  13. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Rocky Point, NY
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 9:34 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #288

NormanF said: View Post
    The Mister Potato Head was great.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk
    I thought that was brilliant.

I thought Charlize Theron was great and it looks like the show is getting better with each episode.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 11:27 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #289

Yeah, I thought the Mr Potato Head part was hilarious
  15. formerly gw2tulsa RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 11:29 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #290

And the return joke was sooo freaking wrong and perfect all at the same time.
  16. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 12:55 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #291

I lost it at Isaac's Practical Joke. Amazing!!!
  17. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 1:21 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #292

Another good episode. I'm glad the show found it's pace real quick. Hope it sticks around. And if not, I hope Netflix picks it up.
    From
    Danville KY
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 1:51 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #293

Not as many "jokes" in this episode, but the "humor" was off the charts. Especially the leg!
    From
    Pacific NW
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 2:09 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #294

dangit...i have the show on my schedule to remind and forgot this week and last to watch it.

VERY cool it's getting top tier guest stars. Liam Neeson was on last week wasn't he?
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 2:20 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #295

Borjis said: View Post
    dangit...i have the show on my schedule to remind and forgot this week and last to watch it.

VERY cool it's getting top tier guest stars. Liam Neeson was on last week wasn't he?
    Very briefly.
    From
    Southern California
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 6:32 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #296

Robiwon said: View Post
    Not as many "jokes" in this episode, but the "humor" was off the charts. Especially the leg!
    I do think they've gotten better at blending the humor with the story, but I thought this episode was far more "serious" than "humorous". I "got" the jokes, I just didn't think they were that funny.

Borjis said: View Post
    All of the episodes can be seen here, for anyone who has missed any. They lock out the newest episode until it has aired everywhere (I guess FOX still wants the TV ratings), and there are commercials that can't be bypassed (as far as I can tell), but it's nice to have the episodes available for viewing whenever we want.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 8:47 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #297

Was the last episode great because the series is genuinely improving at an exponential rate or because it was directed by Jonathan Frakes and a solid guest star?
    Or am I just biased since it started off with them watching Seinfeld on the main viewer.

I hope things continue at this rise and we never see a corresponding downward slope on the backside.
  23. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    1 Week Ago  Oct 7, 2017, 12:29 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #298

Fly4v said: View Post
    Was the last episode great because the series is genuinely improving at an exponential rate or because it was directed by Jonathan Frakes and a solid guest star?
    Or am I just biased since it started off with them watching Seinfeld on the main viewer.

I hope things continue at this rise and we never see a corresponding downward slope on the backside.
    I think it was better because it's getting better.

I am, frankly, not a Charlize Theron fan. I just haven't really been able to enjoy a lot of the things she's been in, including one film that's pretty much universally praised just about everywhere that took me a lot of effort to not turn off and just quit watching.

So yeah, she did nothing to increase my enjoyment of the episode at all, yet I thought it was an excellent episode.
  24. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 7, 2017, 8:22 AM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #299

When he was requested to the bridge, and then kept walking onto it I lost it. It just seemed to get funnier the more I watched. Solid episode.
    From
    Danville KY
    1 Week Ago  Oct 7, 2017, 1:04 PM - Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox #300

Didn't realize it was directed by Riker! That flipping awesome! The amputated leg that fell was a full leg where his was just below the knee, but that's OK.