"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Oh, I must say one character that is not growing on me is the android. Very mediocre design, performance and voice. Making it sound like Brent Spiner is distracting and not funny.

Oh, I must say one character that is not growing on me is the android. Very mediocre design, performance and voice. Making it sound like Brent Spiner is distracting and not funny.

I just think it hasn't had its chance to shine yet. There will be an episode going for its backstory no doubt.

Also,

Orvillians sounds nicely poetic somehow.

The Machi-orville-ians?

The Android may not need to wear clothing, but he is a member of the service, and the crew, so he should at least be wearing the appropriately colored jacket for his department to denote that.

I did like the last episode, and I thought the Rudolph revelation was hilarious. It is like Randy Disher told Monk, you don't get to pick where your epiphanies come from.

David.

How can such a bad show be so well written at times?

I want to like The Orville, but it goes from terrible to tolerable in a blink of an eye. I want to like it, but the cheesiness is just so bad, and that's not just the story and script - the set and effects are "OMG bad" at times, too. But, then you have a great story with a ton heart... only to be sullied by the MacFarlane-isms (and bad sets and fx).

A bit late to the party but I just watched the first three episodes. Not great, but not bad. It reminds me a bit of Red Dwarf, except that RD is a Trek parody and Orville is more of a satire, if that makes sense. I mean the parody is more in your face with the jokes, the satire more subtle. And I noticed that RD and Orville both make a lot of references to modern day pop culture. I've always wondered what a sci-fi Trek type show would be like if given the M*A*S*H satire treatment, not that Orville's satire is M*A*S*H level but you know what I mean.

Orville certainly out-Treks the Jar Jar films, and will most likely out-Trek STD as well. We'll find out tonight.

The 3rd episode was outstanding.

I get the impression that McFarlan plays the captain as someone who thinks he is funnier than he really is, a bit like the main character in the office.

His jokes fall flat because they are meant to, its a brave choice for a comedian to make.

If they were really trying for awkward comedy, the other characters wouldn't be rattling off one liners as well. I would say that the show exists in a universe where everyone is delivering jokes for the enjoyment of us, the viewer, not for the other characters.

I'm not a joiner, I
just watch shows I like and don't watch shows I don't.
I don't think there is an actual club as of yet so your safe for now , but soon there will be knocks on your door .

Hello . were Wilbur's , have you heard the good news ? There's a fake Star Trek that's better than any real Star Trek in over a decade !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back