My first Studio Scale Build! Green Leader Y-wing.

Looks flawless! What are your under-armature pieces made of? 3D prints or Plastruct Shell mock-up? I don't see any seams or alignment mismatches anywhere, and it's impressive.

Thank you very much! The core pieces are 3D prints from Dave Gs open source combined with a few bits of plastruct sheeting here and there. I use tamiya's basic putty thinned with a bit of Mr Finish leveling thinner to fill and patch up my seams...and then just a lot of sanding. The Rustoleum Filler Primer is really great for finishing the printed parts, it wet sands beautifully.

Last edited:
I've gone off script a bit, but things are coming along nicely!

sDqr5SF.jpg

I decided to take a break from the main fuselage and work on the bulkhead panels. I didn't have all of the greeblies I needed, so I just made it up as I went along, mostly on the side panels. I'm not sure if I am finished with the left and right panels yet.
bulkhead_00.jpgbulkhead_01.jpgbulkhead_02.jpgbulkhead_03.jpg

And definitely going to find somewhere on the model to hide these three space men.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, they are nice! And they go in a area that get's lots of attention so the detail will not go unnoticed. Just go easy with the paint. You don't want to fill in the holes!

Does anyone know what this is? I found it randomly on my floor...and then I found a great place for it on my y-wing...but I need another one.

It reminds me of the compression fittings you find on the inside of fancy home audio banana cable ends.

IMG_0284.JPGIMG_0285.JPG

That's not a nurnie I know, but it sure does look good where you've placed it. Even if you don't get another one for symmetry, it looks good as is, like a plug-in undercarriage fueling or electrical charging port for the vessel.

Right! I love coming up with the theory behind all of these nurnies...I mean, some of them are just there, and that's it, but when you can make a reason up for what they are doing there...it's great! I really like finding ways to connect different parts together with conduit...like this power circulator thing over here provides power to that veluvial damper thing over there, or whatever.

I have to force myself to not make everything symmetrical. It's a struggle.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back