Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

neo-baby-puppet-paint-kala.jpgAlien-Day-2017-31.jpgalien-covenant-chestburster-xenomorph.jpgalien-covenant-empire-magazine-scans-leaked-spoilers-4.jpg

I have been in conversations online and with friends who were convinced the Alien 3 alien was completely digital/computer generated. I'm sure the blue screen compositing is what makes it look odd to most people, but hearing Ridley make this same mistake was funny. The puppet work was actually done really well, but the matte lines and lighting mismatches did not quite gel in some scenes.

I love that Ridley is still using a mix of practical with the digital effects in his Alien films. There were on-set rod puppet aliens in both Prometheus and Covenant. Rod puppets seem to be a tradition in these movies, going back to Aliens.

Yeah I agree, and I don't know if you've seen the sets, but they were beautiful!

The common thread in a lot of Scotts movies is the danger of artificial intelligence, blade runner replicants, Ash, David, these are the true villans...... the alien is a plot device, the real danger is the AI. have not seen covenant yet, this is just my theory regarding shared universe.

So close... this might be a defining statement regarding the theme of Prometheus and Covenant and even Alien, but the AI in later movies (Bishop and Call) were good. Even Walter was a good AI.

I think David's nuanced feelings of disdain in humanity and disappointment in not being able to procreate in Prometheus were overly expanded upon in Covenant.

Short review: As flawed as Prometheus was, I feel like this movie took it to the next level of WTF. IMHO this movie was a ***** show. As weird as Prometheus was I still had hope that the errors could be corrected in this movie. It was also extremely predictable.

Long review:
The evolution of this franchise can be summed up as
- Alien: perfection in the sense that the unknowns didn't take away from the overall story.
- Aliens: perfection in the sense that the unknown from Alien was used as connective tissue, but still left it as it was.
- Alien 3: The first movie that took the franchise in a direction driven by the assumption that people cared more about the Ripley character than the basic theme of aliens and a corporation that put the aliens ahead of humans. This theme could still have worked if they had used the story from the Dark Horse Comics series or a variation of it. INsted weo got Aliens vs Convicts.
- Alien Resurrection: Furthering the "Sigourney IS Alien" mindset.
- AVP - Kind of not horrible, but could have been better had they taken the Predators hunting on the Alien homeworld at the same time humans just happened to be showing up.
- AVP2 - Meh
- Prometheus - Another movie that could have used the idea from the DHC story, where the Space Jockey is some kind of a collector. Instead we got "human's creators".
So now we're pretty much framing the original movie and its great sequel with pre- and post-turds.

I think Covenant just furthers an necessary origin of the xenomorphs by making them a creation rather than just something that occurred naturally on some planet. What's next? David also created the Predators?

This movie, for me, just shows how much Ridley Scott is off his game.
While Fassbender's acting is great (I love his speech/dialect for the different characters), it wasn't enough to save this movie for me.
While Prometheus was a mess, it was still watchable.
Covenant just takes everything that sucked about Prometheus and takes it to the next level.

While probably not specific to these prequels, I hate how the gestation period and growth time has sped up compared to previous movies for the sake of moving the horror along.
To me that's weak writing.

The character development in Prometheus was way better than Covenant. While Prometheus had some unlikable characters, at least you knew them. This group was pretty much fodder. Even the female hero was kind of just there. The best character, as stated previously, was Kenny Powers.

I did like the David-Geiger art and how it used Shaw.
So was David using Shaw as the ingredient for the final version, partly because he felt bad that she couldn't have babies and this was his twisted way to procreate with her?

I can't even begin to imagine what the third movie will be...

While probably not specific to these prequels, I hate how the gestation period and growth time has sped up compared to previous movies for the sake of moving the horror along.
To me that's weak writing.

Technically, the other gestation periods have all been slowed down.
I wasn`t offended when the original alien went from escaping a chest cavity to dragging Brett though a vent in only a couple of hours.

I wasn`t offended when the original alien went from escaping a chest cavity to dragging Brett though a vent in only a couple of hours.

That doesn't bother me as much as egg, facehugger, to chestburster in under 3 minutes.

That doesn't bother me as much as egg, facehugger, to chestburster in under 3 minutes.

Could have been 3 minutes. Could have been 30. Screen time is not real time. The screen time from the face hugger leaving Kane to him giving birth in the dining room was only about 10 minutes. In reality it was more like a few hours.

Regardless, that was David's first pass at engineering his version of the creature. The Engineers would have engineered this creature to gestate and grow as fast as possible for their needs. For David, there are obvious advantages to slowing this gestation period down - giving the host time to return to his ship to further the infection, for example. And we know the version in Alien did have a slightly slower gestation time.

David has nearly 20 years to perfect it before the time of Alien, and over 2000 colonists to experiment on.

To be fair, gestation periods in the Alien movies has always been inconsistent.. Kane's Baby gestates for several of hours. The Queen inside Ripley is almost a day. The Bambi-Buster takes only only a few hours. All but one of the Aliens in Resurrection take only about an hour or so. The exception being that guy they find on the floor in the chamber where they put the eggs into the Betty's captured cargo (I don't even know his name, if that's any indication of how impactful the movie has been on me :p). That guy gestates for a few days, with several "false stirrings" along the way. His gestation is even longer than the Queen's in 3. Then, if you take AVP into consideration, gestation lasts less than an hour, and takes even less time in AVP:R. Really, the whole gestation period seems to be dependant on plot convenience and how quickly the plot needs the Xenomorph to appear.

I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

You do understand that when you see a movie that is 2 hours long that the events in the movie did not take exactly 2 hours, don't you? Or were you just being silly :)

I know, I was trying to be funny. I'll stop

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back