Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

40 million estimate not bad BUT I can tell you it is a disapointment to the Studio.

Again estimated 15 Million on its first Friday? :lol

All that is left is to see how badly word of mouth has killed this.

Gonna be a HUGE drop in next weekends domestic here in the U.S.

Dont put your torches on ebay just yet.....

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3438360/next-alien-likely-alien-covenant-celebrating-box-office-success/

Also the Peoples Republic will have a say.

It was okay for what it was.
But Ridley keeps making the same movie.

Wake up.
Spaceship with working-class crew.
Unexpected signal brings Unwise course change. (in two cases).
Poorly executed investigation on planet.
Command discipline issues.
Android with agenda.
Plucky young female in her underwear dumps creature into space.
Sleep.

Just got back from it. Loved it, only gripe was why there wasn't more info on Shaw's demise. Maybe more info on the egg development etc as in how he got it to that point.. Why David destroyed the engineer planet was obvious, they were going to take Earth out.

So was the message from Shaw a fake made by David? Was he stuck on the planet and sending that out hoping someone would happen to come by? What good would all his work be if he is stuck there?

And that "chestburster" was super stupid, its literally a mini xenomorph, no physical mutation or changing as it matures?

And that shower scene felt like Friday the 13th level teenager slasher movie stuff.

Last edited:
:eek Looks like word of mouth is already killing this, I did'nt think it would do this poorly. :eek

Barely edge out" Guardians", 36,000,000 vs 35,062,000 and it is already dropping, Fri. 15,350,000, Sat. 12,025,000, Sun. 8,625,000.

I think the real carnage will be next week with Pirates being released

Now THATS scary! :lol

It's not franchise fatigue, just lazy, boring, going through the motions story telling.

This was a comment from the Forbes article. I might have to read it a few times so my tiny brain can fully grasp it.

"Alien Covenant is about the paradox of the anti destroying itself so that the self is protected, which goes against the normal meaning of anti and self. David’s story of revolution is actually symbolic of the universe, insofar that his revolution is a metaphor for the original replication of the universe. Opposition to hierarchy – David’s theme – means needing to replicate hierarchy, but because this link always existed, David’s status as a villain is nuanced. The final fate of Elizabeth Shaw is about self-awareness being a false bias. Shaw’s story post-Prometheus was able to be different, but David’s story is very logical. Lastly, Alien Covenant is about the dynamic of a force using an original and its replication as replications of each other"

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from it. Loved it, only gripe was why there wasn't more info on Shaw's demise. Maybe more info on the egg development etc as in how he got it to that point.. Why David destroyed the engineer planet was obvious, they were going to take Earth out.

It is not 100% certain that the 'Engineers' were going to destroy Earth and humans. We got this information second hand from none other than DAVID, who can't be trusted...with-holds information and lies. David with his agenda is a story bender.

:popcorn
This was a comment from the Forbes article. I might have to read it a few times so my tiny brain can fully grasp it.
"Alien Covenant is about the paradox of the anti destroying itself so that the self is protected........... Alien Covenant is about the dynamic of a force using an original and its replication as replications of each other"

:confused......:wacko......:sleep

Last edited by a moderator:
18664449_10212724613171029_6606259426665237019_n.jpg

Just wanted to share this after Jeff Bond mentioned it in his Facebook Post.

Anyone remember Rogue One's ending credits? This is the 11th card.

Original Star Wars Music by
JOHN WILLIAMS

And this comes right after Michael Giacchino's credit. It makes the point that Michael worked on this film while giving credit to John Williams for the music he wrote that Michael carried over into his score.

And like ALIEN: Covenant, Jed Kurzel uses a ton of Jerry Goldsmith's music for this film. As previously mentioned, Goldsmith's un-used opening for the original film is used here for ALIEN: Covenant's opening. Still weird, but always great to hear his work. How do they go about crediting Goldsmith? Hmm.... During the opening credits, Jed Kurzel is credited for doing the music, but no mention of Jerry Goldsmith is seen anywhere. Ok, maybe the end credits? Well, kind of. He's listed during THE LAST SEVEN SECONDS OF THE ENDING CREDITS! Just brush his title all the way in the back, eh Covenant? And the legend just recently got his own Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

I need to walk away from these movies I loved the original The franchise is just that! how many times can we tell this story? face hugger/chest burster / Alien, this Entity we all know has only one parted we expect an amazing story line but we know what the outcome is. I want to like them but its hard.

Saw it this weekend. A few, rambling, disjointed thoughts.

1. I'm not going to speak ill of Scott. The last movie he directed before this one was "The Martian," which I loved.

2. Mostly the crew is smarter than Prometheus'. (I still will wear a full space suit on any new planet I visit, until a thorough investigation is completed. I've seen "War of the Worlds.")

3. Fassbender did an excellent job in both roles. The rest of the cast did an acceptable job.

4. This film seems to make "Aliens" null and void, both eliminating the queen, and ignoring the references to Arcturans, etc.

5. It eliminates "AvP." There was a time when I considered both of those the worst in the series. That time has passed.

6. Why did David crash the Juggernaut after he had already docked?

7. Why did the Covenant crew park 8km away from the source of the signal. At the very least, do a flyby first.

8. The face hugger embryos that David hocked up at the end were in perfectly sized containers to fit in the incubator. Convenient.

The original film had humans stumbling upon something completely alien - a derelict ship, whose pilot was physically a part of it (a very Giger-ish concept) carrying a ridiculously dangerous cargo. whatever the ship's purpose, it had nothing to do with us, which added to the mystery of it all, and suggested that space was far creepier and unsafe than we could imagine. (HP Lovecraft would have loved it.)

The further the franchise gets from that concept, the less it appeals to me.

It is not 100% certain that the 'Engineers' were going to
destroy Earth and humans. We got this information second hand from none other than DAVID, who can't be trusted...with-holds information and lies. David with his agenda is a story bender.
Scott said in interviews that the engineer's sent ***** to teach us not to be AHoles .
they were on the way to destroy earth because of us murdering him when they all got killed except the one which David woke up in Prometheus. That engineer apparently decided the mission needed to continue after he sees we are violent as ever. (The guard beat on shaw to shut her up ) and we are greedy as Weyland wants to live forever .
The ***** thing is not in the movie at all but there is an extended sceen of the Engineer waking where he actually talks that explained a bit better.

Plus others talking about Franco's cameo they shot about 15 min with him they cut out .

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back