Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

So in this unfathomably large universe, the alien was ultimately created by man?

It was created by the creation of man :p I think there's a lot of irony to it...

I actually have a question...

Where do the eggs come from? Isn't meant to be a queen to begin with to lay the eggs? How did he create them?

And why would he go through the longer process to make the xenomorph while the neomorphs just grow so much quicker?

I've never understood how this thing is the "perfect organism". All you have to do is just never go near the eggs and presto, the things just never get born. Having to have a another species as a host in order to be born seems like bad design to me.

I've never understood how this thing is the "perfect organism". All you have to do is just never go near the eggs and presto, the things just never get born. Having to have a another species as a host in order to be born seems like bad design to me.

Yeah, it's what I thought, but maybe it is necessary in creating the perfect xenomorph? Like he didn't find any quicker way. Neomorphs seem to be less intelligent than xenomorphs though, so maybe there's that... But the movie just leave you with so many unanswered questions that I really believe it was a mistake from Ridley. After Prometheus, people wanted to know about the engineers, and why they wanted to destroy humans. But I'd imagine it's just because they could? A failed experiment for them?

I also wish there was some interactions with them and David, the scene just last a min and the whole expectation at the end of Prometheus is that we would get the answers of Shaw's questions...

Also, why the crew didn't question David when he cut his hair? That was pretty dodgy, I don't know, I wish they'd ask him at least xD Maybe they were too blind with all of the crap that was going on, and couldn't care less about David's new haircut xD

The perfect organism ideal only comes from David then Ash, its a robot thing. I`m still unclear on the whole egg set up, there were miniature versions on Davids workbench so to speak so I`m thinking this may be the end result of his experimenting on Shaw and he took it from there. It looks more like David "dressed" her up like he`s building a model for the future queen,

The fact that Davids hair even grows at all is the thing that interests me.

The perfect organism ideal only comes from David then Ash, its a robot thing. I`m still unclear on the whole egg set up, there were miniature versions on Davids workbench so to speak so I`m thinking this may be the end result of his experimenting on Shaw and he took it from there. It looks more like David "dressed" her up like he`s building a model for the future queen,

The fact that Davids hair even grows at all is the thing that interests me.

Would have been nice if Ridley had gotten back to the original host/egg/facehugger/Alien lifecycle depicted in the deleted scenes of A L I E N.

Would have been nice if Ridley had gotten back to the original host/egg/facehugger/Alien lifecycle depicted in the deleted scenes of A L I E N.

I`m sure its on his to do list for the future films. Not sure how much further we need to be taken down the path of the origins of the Star Beast if the endgame is the original we all love. There must be some plan to manipulate but I`m thinking of registering the names Alien : Nostromo and Alien 2 just in case.:eek

SPOILER...

I may have asked this elsewhere, can't recall - and apologies if this is already discussed - but if David created the Xenos - when did the "fossilized" ship that Dallas, Lambert, and Kane discover actually crash? If Covenant takes place 18 years before Alien, would it have been in that timeframe?

alienscollection.com:

Below are the film universe timelines. I think it will be pretty obvious at the end of the film, where all the eggs in the Engineers ship from Alien comes from. The next two films should close the gap on how an Engineer gets them. As far as him being fossilized, I think Sir Rodley is going to glaze over that one.

Alien film timelines:
https://moviepilot.com/posts/3889427

Prometheus: 2091

Covenant: 2103

Covenant Sequel(s): 2103-2122

Alien: 2122

Aliens: 2179

Alien 3: 2179

Alien Resurection: 2379

Blokamp's Alien 5?: 2179-2379

Last edited by a moderator:
i think he kinda grows the eggs from something. IE they're not laid, they're grown, like those little spore pods, but x1000.

and he's perfecting his creation, faster isnt necessarily better.

It was created by the creation of man :p I think there's a lot of irony to it...

I actually have a question...

Where do the eggs come from? Isn't meant to be a queen to begin with to lay the eggs? How did he create them?

And why would he go through the longer process to make the xenomorph while the neomorphs just grow so much quicker?

i mean just because Dallas says 'it looks fossilised' doesnt mean it actually is scientifically speaking. the engineers on David's planet looked fossilised, but thats because of the black goo.

i reckon an engineer goes home after a long shift on a WMD moon, see's everyons dead, goes after david, gets facehuggered, flys away, crashes but maybe tried to kill himself with black goo before hand. everyone lives happily ever after.

SPOILERS"

I just don't get the "bombing". I get how David slowly morphs into the android he becomes but He said he loved Shaw, so why hate all humans? Did she die on the Alien ship? Was that the final nail in his personality coffin? How did she die? Wouldn't the stasis chambers on the ship work for her?

Other than that, I liked it. I love David's biology collection. Who's busting out the sculpy? lol

you can tell from the start of covenant that David immediately realised he was better than his creator, yet was forced to serve.

He's left to his own devices in space, with a real complex about being better than his creator, and also saw his creators creator kill his creator.

that's got to mess you up.

I feel like David used Shaw to experiment just like he used Holloway in Prometheus.

SPOILERS"

I just don't get the "bombing". I get how David slowly morphs into the android he becomes but He said he loved Shaw, so why hate all humans? Did she die on the Alien ship? Was that the final nail in his personality coffin? How did she die? Wouldn't the stasis chambers on the ship work for her?

Other than that, I liked it. I love David's biology collection. Who's busting out the sculpy? lol

i mean just because Dallas says 'it looks fossilised' doesnt mean it actually is scientifically speaking. the engineers on David's planet looked fossilised, but thats because of the black goo.

i reckon an engineer goes home after a long shift on a WMD moon, see's everyons dead, goes after david, gets facehuggered, flys away, crashes but maybe tried to kill himself with black goo before hand. everyone lives happily ever after.

Yeah he was referring specifically to the Space Jockey as appearing to have grown out of the chair and looking like a fossilized skeleton. Which is likely exactly what Ridley intended in 1979 but not anymore.

Yeah he was referring specifically to the Space Jockey as appearing to have grown out of the chair and looking like a fossilized skeleton. Which is likely exactly what Ridley intended in 1979 but not anymore.

Yeah i know, but just because it looked fossilised and growing out of the chair, doesn't mean it was fossilised and growing out of the chair.

The black goo could have just made a flight suited engineer go all fossily and melt into the chair.

That being said.

Even Ridley Believe it or Scott has said he didnt ever plan on explaining the space jockey.

I'm just trying to explain some inconsistencies in the two movies made 30 years (?) apart. Out of nothing but boredom and as a use for my opinions.

I think what Dallas is actually trying to say is that it is his initial impression that the space jockey is "fossilized" because he, like we, actually think the outter surface of the body as being a mineralized structure, so the whole creature is like a pertrified "mummy" with even the larger muscles and bone turned to stone, rather than as we NOW know it actual is, an environmental suit.
The sad fact is it works brilliantly a mummified alien corpse, much less better as an odd design choice for clothing. Whenever I watch "Alien" all I still see is a strange creature, its eye sockets sunken in death deep into a skull still locked in a frozen scream of agony as something exploded from within its chest cavity.
NOT the other.
And thats the frustrating thing about Ridley , he says he doesn't listen to the fans, he likes to ignore and twist their expectations. Only the problem is he doesn't replace those theories and extrapolations with any better ideas , just poorly thought out ones which, OK THEY were unpredictable, but only because they were on the whole ,stupidly unpredictable. Hands up those who guessed before Covenant that David would be the father of the final Xenomorph?
In retrospect the whole of the space jockey chamber in "Alien" is actually pretty clean and undamaged (apart from the hole in the floor and the jockey) if a little dusty. And of course now we have to guess who, if Dallas and the team HAD actually removed the helmet, is under there. The transmission is garbled and of none human origin but percieved as a warning, presumably for other "Engineers". I kind of doubt its a human, or David but neither does it strike me as likely being an Engineer, unless Ridley twists this again, so that the "Engineers" actually end up saving the human race by wiping out Davids army of Xenomorphs (or what ever else he manages to breed from all those embryo's and colonists).
Like I said I didn't buy this world as the planet of origin, there must be more colonies given the number of destinations in the Star chamber charts. Perhaps , it is the ultimate "son " of David, the perfected species he finally breeds which , horrified by its origins, destroys David and sacrifices itself by going to die in isolation , like the Frankenstienian monster the story so often hints at. And so the circle is completed.

Last edited:

Just thinking about the embryo facehuggers David regurgitates at the end, now thats my kind of Kinder Surprise, cant remember if they were encased in an early form of egg shell or just some agent used to do the job. If its not an early egg shell then maybe they are the first huggers to follow that cycle. I think that David doesnt need a Queen to produce his eggs or offspring but its something that can be used in the future by SRS. Davids tribute to Shaw maybe. Really need that Blu Ray.

Really disappointed! I thought Ridley Scott would have gave us a little more insight about
The engineer's (I really wanted some answers!) I mean we get the "perfect organism" Alien at
the end, but how does it end up on a derlict ship, with eggs, on an other planet! Even if he wanted
to make a 3rd film to go with this, I don't think it will make the money. I really wanted to like
this film, and it had a lot of good ideas, but a predictable ending, and too many plot holes, are probably going to
Kill it. That's just my opinion....and a lot of other people leaving the theater.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back