Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

It all started April 27th, posters were placed at the local theater (we are talking about the only movie theater in a 120 square km's area).
One week prior to the national premiere, on the 11th, posters were dropped. It wouldn't be displayed cos the national distributor who got the rights was selling it in a pack with a bunch of films nobody wanted to see.

On June 5th went to see the Slayer gig at capital city and ended up watching the film... at 4 pm (daytime is a weird time to watch Alien but whatever).
After all this drama, i was finally there! At a theater! To watch it! 3 and a half weeks after the premiere...

Having read horrible and/or less than good reviews i was waiting to see one of the, if not the worse movie from the franchise (thank you bad reviewers).
Ended up loving it, it was quite fun to watch.

Is it perfectly written?
Not really.

Was i counting on a complete spillage of all the unanswered questions?
Not really.

Hoping Scott (and some OTHER writers ) gets to finish the prequel trilogy, i'm looking forward to watch all those colonists die in some "gorefest" and ofc see how in the hell is David getting...

IFW.

I did a qualitative study a few weeks ago, which ended in a brief 9 page paper on textual analysis of a Facebook memoriam post. The post in question was a GIF of Dr. Shaw, and I analyzed the comments for themes. The VAST majority of the comments were complains about Alien: Covenant, with the next theme being suggestions, where people made recommendations for how to continue the series or improve it, explanation was the third most numerous, with people defending why Shaw was killed (these were also the most significant in amount of text posted), and finally, the fourth most common theme was praise for Rapace as an actress.

Reading through and subsequently analyzing those comments definitely indicated a few things, the first being that there was no regret among fans for her character's death, the second being that the post generated mostly negative comments, and third, people who felt Scott made good decisions in Covenant were motivated to write MANY paragraphs. Comparing those lengthy post to the critiques, sometimes just "film sucked", was quite interesting, as those fans who enjoyed the movie obviously felt they needed to defend it. The lack of grief was definitely significant, as many people post about fictional character loss...But not a single person did.

Saw this yesterday, so many questions.

I will mention that I liked, towards the end when Daniels was struggling with David, David says, "That's the spirit!" Batty said the same thing to Deckard in Blade Runner.

I feel like they should have made an "in-betweequel" in the time Ripley is asleep between Alien and Aliens. I would even like to see a straight adaptation of Alien: Isolation honestly. That would at least make sense as to why the lead is so similar to Ripley, and adds those personal stakes to the movie.

I dont even know why Ridley Scott is involved, he had his ideas for the engineers, then when prometheus wasnt well received, he just scrapped that, and popped the alien in because 'that's what fans want'.

Just rented this.
Overall, an excellent science fiction movie.
Unfortunately, a ****ty ALIEN movie.

Just stop, Ridley. Nobody gives a **** about your God/Alien/Robot/Creation theory.

The barge scene was ****. The ending airlock scene was cool, too.
Wait... Walter was really David all along? Didn't see that coming... :rolleyes

Daniels was awesome.

I'll say this for it: It was a better movie than "Alien: Resurrection".
Unfortunately, "Alien: Resurrection" was a better ALIEN movie.

I picked this up last week and watched it. I was so hoping this would be good, but alas, it was terrible. Slightly better than Prometheus, but still awful.

This entire franchise has been dead since ALIENS.

Saw this the other day. I had forgotten most of the stuff from Prometheus. Should have watched that again I guess. I thought there were some cool parts, but over all, wish things were better. Didn't really like that David was the creator of the Aliens. Now that I think about it, guessing these movies make Alien vs Predator not cannon. Since that took place in todays world having Aliens. Unless I missed something, which is probably likely as I haven't seen those movies in a long time.

Two quick things...
First, I'm not 100% sure that the AVP films ever were canon. (although I have them in my lineup with the Alien and Predator films)
Second, in Prometheus, there were depictions of Xenos and facehuggers on the walls of the structure where the Engineers had the black goo, I'd say that it's safe to assume that they had engineered them in the past on their own. David merely found a way to duplicate their discoveries.

Two quick things...
First, I'm not 100% sure that the AVP films ever were canon. (although I have them in my lineup with the Alien and Predator films)
Second, in Prometheus, there were depictions of Xenos and facehuggers on the walls of the structure where the Engineers had the black goo, I'd say that it's safe to assume that they had engineered them in the past on their own. David merely found a way to duplicate their discoveries.

AvP, different franchise altogether ;)

My biggest issue with Prometheus and Covenant is the dialogue. I am not sure if this has been discussed yet, but comparing these two movies to Alien is like comparing apples to oranges. In Alien, the crew seems to have "real life" conversations revolving around working hours, paychecks, etc, unlike Prometheus and Covenant which IMO only seems to be there to further the plot & generally does not sound like your typical conversations one might have...... Simply saying, the dialogue seemed forced and unrealistic.

Also I still cannot get passed how Daniels didnt either snap her back or get burned up in the excavator thrusters as she was hanging from that repelling chord........

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back