Bandai R5-D4 Water Slide Decal Help

Jimmer

I've now built 2 Bandai R2/R5 kits (and love them) but have not attempted to put the red "line" decal around either of R5's heads. Also haven't attempted to put on the 6 tiny silver rectangles on front of R2 or R5's bodies.

I use micro-set and micro-sol and haven't had any problems, but I'm intimidated by that head decal for R5 (even though it is in 2 pieces). Anyway, I've watched the vids, read the tutorials and put on the other decals, but thought I'd see if anyone has any pointers for the little silver decals or R5's red line decal for his head.

I guess what has me worried is if I mess 'em up (tear 'em) the only replacement is the sticker version which I really hate.

I'm sure the only tips exist in what literature/vids are out there, but if anyone has tackled these and has additional tips, I'd greatly appreciate it.

(I know, "just do it"...lol).

Thanks.

It's not a big deal if they tear, they usually go back together seamlessly. But technique can help. Rather than soak decals in water, I place them on a paper towel and apply water from a dropper. Let it sit until it releases from the paper, but since it's not soaked it won't slide around wildly. Apply the Microset on the model, then hold the decal paper over the part and slide the paper out from under the decal. This reduces the chances of the decal twisting or tearing. Work it into place with a cotton swab, then apply Microsol on top of it.

I cut across the 'ears' and did mine in 6 pieces total.

That is a great idea. Being a semi-large decal on such a curved surface is what had me worried.

After my botched grace digger decals I'm a bit gun shy on any of em lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear. Stick with it, I've had good luck with the limited amount I have done. Micro-set and sol help tremendously.

It's not a big deal if they tear, they usually go back together seamlessly. But technique can help. Rather than soak decals in water, I place them on a paper towel and apply water from a dropper. Let it sit until it releases from the paper, but since it's not soaked it won't slide around wildly. Apply the Microset on the model, then hold the decal paper over the part and slide the paper out from under the decal. This reduces the chances of the decal twisting or tearing. Work it into place with a cotton swab, then apply Microsol on top of it.

Gonna definitely try that out. Makes perfect sense going easy on the water amount (I always have to soak up a lot of water between steps).

Before you do anything I recommend to scan the decal sheet at at least 600 dpi to be able to make a replacement. Just in case. I always do that. ;)

Excellent idea. Don't know why I didn't consider being able to print up these decals. Takes a lot of the pressure off.

Thanks a lot, everyone.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back