Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Are the magnolia k coats being sold on eBay now? Iv just been flicking through eBay and one of the listings is selling k coats using photos from magnolias site???

Nope! And as far as I’m aware magnolia is based in the USA. This seller is uk based. This isn’t the only photo by the way....

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, not uk based....Germany

Those photos are straight from magnolias website. I feel sorry for whoever buys one of these at that price off of eBay....

Ahahaha wow. The company ripping off Indy's photos, calling itself Jasper, says:

Ethical Conduct and Integrity:
We value lifestyle in our organization where ethics like truth, honesty, integrity and fair play are basic ingredients while interacting within the organization or deal with the outside world.

What a bunch of assh*les. I hope nobody actually gets scammed by these misleading listings. I know eBay (at least used to) have policies against selling items with misleading or stolen photos, so I reported the listing. “Report this listing” - “listing practices” - “fraudulent listing activities” - “you suspect that a listing is fraudulent”. I recall there being an option in the past when reporting items like this that specifically mentioned misleading or inaccurate product photos, but I couldn’t find anything like that. Either way I’m not sure if reporting it to eBay is actually going to accomplish anything, just thought it might have been worth a shot. I hate seeing people getting scammed.

We've got an account with Vero, eBay's copyright department. It'll just take one e-mail to point this out and eBay will pull it. The problem is that, even though eBay does pull these auctions, I don't think the seller actually gets punished. I could be wrong. Thanks for posting it!

For those doing a K style stealth costume (one with plausible deniability), I can recommend Baracuta oilskin outerwear in forest green. I ordered a G10 winter coat on sale as an impulse purchase, and was determined to return it once I received it after much recrimination. However, the weight, color, and movement of the waxed cotton is dead-on to my eye. The color is liminal, at once black or dark gray and green. The navy blue coat looks cool, too, though I've not seen it in person.

The shape has a slight A-line from the shoulder to hem. If I measured correctly, mine (US/UK 36) is 32" from shoulder to hem. At 5' 7" or 5' 8", the hem falls 3-4" above the top of my knee, about the same length as K's "action coat" (below) that we are not supposed to notice. It fits true to size and appears to be very high quality. Baracuta has a long history from Elvis to Sinatra, Steve McQueen, Tom Cruise, etc. Their most famous jacket is the G9, but this G10 makes a pretty great Blade Runner-ish jacket if you are interested in Blade Runner-ish style over verisimilitude.

I might put some patches on it or maybe add some detachable sherpa. K's actual coat looks to be more of a Belstaff style (from the felled shoulder detail), but this Baracuta one is a fine detective coat, too. They are having a sale at the moment, 40% off. The color of this really makes me want to run through a wall at full speed. The waxed fabric is a bit stiff in a good way--it has some memory. I expect it to develop unique wrinkles and wear similar to a leather jacket or a pair of good jeans.

View attachment 788157

Looking more closely at this scene, I was surprised to find that the goon coats might be in the style Baracuta G10 Modern Classic - Barapel (not the waxed one). Having the oilskin G10 on hand, I instantly noticed the pocket detail of this jacket on the right-hand goon (picture blows up to 6000 px wide).

View attachment 28f80c9fa1784e76b36df6a90feac26b.jpg

The general fit and length seems similar. A detail that I can't discern from pictures I've found so far is whether the goon coats have the Baracuta "umbrella" back vent, a horizontally-scalloped piece on the back. Another detail to look for is the distinctive sort of trapezoidal belts on the cuffs. I will try to find more goon pictures online, but I don' have the film yet.

Edit: At 3:11 on a Youtube video of the fight, I think I see the distinctive belt on the cuff, using "," and "." to scrub frame-by-frame. Also at 3:18. I can't make out any detail on the backs of their coats in this video, though.

Last edited:
Varnish on coat test:
Okay. I had a chance to test the liquitex satin varnish on some cotton canvas material tonight.
F5C01BD5-484A-4A14-894F-F1461B78FA5A.jpeg

The test:
I did two swatches.
left side: A full strength solution painted directly on the fabric, fully soaking the material with the solution.
right side: I rinsed and rang out the swatch with water, dabbed dry with a towel, then I brush applied the solution onto the fabric.

I let both dry.

the results:
Visual appearance; there was no discoloration or darkening of the fabric.
Slightly more shiny in appearance.
Texture: both results feel very much like a waxed cotton in terms of how the fabric has a memory. The full strength version wrinkles more and is slightly more stiff.
9024E1D3-D90D-4C40-8836-5C0AF0B1F25B.jpeg

The re-soaking test:
Both fabrics lost their wrinkles when I re applied water.
the left version repelled water better than the right side.
The fabric appears darker as it is still wet with water.
A5B06444-C22F-4EA4-8B81-E7C3A5EBE57C.jpeg

I think it works. I’m going to at least attempt it on my coat when it arrives.

I've noticed people attempting to get a certain color by waxing their coats, but has anyone given though to actually adding wax dye to the wax before applying to the coat? (just a random thought/ pretty sure someone already thought of this dou :p)

I've noticed people attempting to get a certain color by waxing their coats, but has anyone given though to actually adding wax dye to the wax before applying to the coat? (just a random thought/ pretty sure someone already thought of this dou :p)

Honestly, I'd just go the route they went on the original costume piece.

If you're not happy with the color, paint it using something like liquitex fabric acrylic (Renee April confirmed they painted the coats because they didn't like the color)
Unsure of using their soft body or heavy body paint, but whichever is recommended for painting onto fabric.

I'd go with this shade personally
Untitled.png
From the Liquitex color charts - dark Green (almost black) with hues of blue.

Then use the liquitex varnish to give it that leather like shine and seal the paint in.

https://liquitex.com/Varnish/

Ofcourse I haven't done this yet - I don't think anyone has - but this is the route I'll likely be going. Also much more screen accurate than wax and still waterproof!

Heads up! Today I received one package. Surprise! The steelbook edition BLADE RUNNER 2049. And it comes with an extra bluray with several stuff. But The Interesting thing: A documentary about the customes. Can we finally know the secrets behind the courtain? Heads up, fellas!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back