Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

I'm due to get my Zlurpo jacket this month .. looking forward to it and will post some waxing pictures when it arrives .. .

What technique are you using? I used the wax bar first ans then the fabric dressing (both from Otter) It was way too much wax and now I'm slowly removing it with paper towels between the coat and a hot iron.

Hi

i'll be using the Barbour thorn proofing wax ... basically heat the wax ... apply then heat the whole jacket to get the wax to evenly spread out into the fabric ...

I think the fabric dressing on top of the wax might be too much as you've said. As i understand it the dressing is usually lighter and for tightly woven lighter fabric. the thornproof and Otter Bar seems to be better for cotton style jackets ..Was the dressing you used a spray by chance such as Nickwax? waterproof dressing and waxes I've always assumed to be mutually exclusive to a degree.

I have four wax jackets total .. all barbour but as an example lets take two jackets .. my Department B Heritage and the Steve McQueen in the heavy cotton .. the heritage is slightly lighter and closer weave so it gets a bit of a shine ... the McQueen does not as its heavier cotton.

As you can see below the heavier the cotton the less shine .. the lighter more fine thread and weave jackets are generally super shiny ... if i can get somewhere between the Heritage and the McQueen as a look i'll be more than happy .. it will add weight and character to the jacket ... I could wax the McQueen jacket to within an inch of its life but it will just soak in more and more wax .. its just the weight of the material which dictates the end result.

Heritage
JSmUMHK.jpg

McQueen
unWlPXX.jpg

Example of a lighter close weave Barbour waxed .. and very shiney
o2939fD.png

Last edited:
That makes sense about the density of the weave. I used the can and heated it in a pot of water. Very messy! One more round of iron/paper towels and it should be back to normal.

Yeah applying it can be a pain .. its a slow meticulous thing .. looks totally like you've messed up when you finish but using a hairdryer or throwing it in a tumble drier for 10 mins lets the wax go liquid again and get into the fibres .. totally evens out the look

Does anyone have any pics or information comparing the Zlurpo K Coat to the Magnoli K Coat? I have the Zlurpo (it's awesome) but the pre-waxed (I think that's correct) cotton from Magnoli looks great. Has anyone seen the two coats in person?

Does anyone have any pics or information comparing the Zlurpo K Coat to the Magnoli K Coat? I have the Zlurpo (it's awesome) but the pre-waxed (I think that's correct) cotton from Magnoli looks great. Has anyone seen the two coats in person?

I have both versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the Big Effect Props jacket arrived and its quite quite lovely .... arrived yesterday via DHL. No flaws lovely inside quilting and very nicely put together ....the colour is great .. i was slightly anxious that it was a greenish hue but its a distinct Grey colour. whether the screen jacket is green or not i don't know but it certainly reads more grey on screen due to the film grading and i think they've hit the colour perfectly. Overall id say the quality is easily up there with my Barbour Jackets.

Step one was a little light sanding of the printed lettering. again i thought it might be a little in your face against the rest of the jacket but its not at all .. however i wanted to knock a little of the shine off so thats what i did. be careful of the grade of paper you use. mine was possibly a little harsh and roughed up the cotton a little but not enough to bother me.

PClUSkf.jpg

Then it went straight in the washer on a 30 minute COLD wash .. Note to all - remove the paper label on the collar hook first .. i did not and the coat came out looking like it had hit a snow flurry and was covered in little bits of white ... at the point where is was about to curse my wife for not cleaning the drum i noticed the soggy remains hanging from the collar .. oops. lol
​Quick Note: UK machines are side loaders and are known for being less aggressive than the USA top loaders ... i think the 30 minutes on cold was perfect with the 1400 spin dry BUT id be careful of washing it in anything other than COLD and for too long especially in harsher machines as it may come out really battered .. just a thought.
The reason for washing it now was to get rid of any starch and knock a little life into it as once its waxed its waxed and theres no washing going to be happening so its just a way of loosening it up and getting rid of any crud here or there .. interestingly there was a sweet wrapper in the pocket?..go figure.

Step two was very carefully pulling it back into shape.while damp .. if you don't it will be a mere to deal with later .. check all the pockets reshape the collar etc and then hung up tp dry where it is now for an hour or so .. in the sun! .. amazing we have sunshine!

NbYjPYW.jpg

9mMjxwf.jpg

dxWFxHZ.jpg

Next stage will be waxing but whether that will get don't today or not I'm not sure ...

Last edited:
EDIT

FIRST THING BEFORE WAXING WAS TO IRON THE JACKET ... HELPS WITH THE WAXING

So the waxing did get done ... took just under two tins of Thornproof Dressing .. as this was a waxing and not a re-waxing it needed a good amount.
heat the tins in a pan of water ....
KxvKJBO.jpg

Keep the tins in the pan of hot water as the wax solidifies again pretty fast...

Applied with a sponge .. everything gets covered especially the seams ...
s94a6a1.jpg

cm8Git5.jpg

In this one you can see the difference between the unwaxed and waxed areas ...
fp3qer2.jpg

eventually complete you're left with something that looks not too great as the wax is either soaked in or sitting on the surface ... but at least its all covered ...\
ntMbDMl.jpg

then the final stage - First the hairdryer on high heat applied to the areas where the wax was shine on the surface .. this worked to a degree but i wasn't happy enough with it and there was a certain patchiness left so the final solution which I've used a lot was to put it in a hot tumble drier for 10 mins max .. and that sorted it out ... when removed from the drier any areas where there is still clearly wax such as the tops of the shoulders which were heavily done were wiped with a clean cloth to remove any excess.

and finished ... looks fantastic ...

0OgjOOp.jpg

RaPgTsP.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

One addition al note .. remember to wax the inside surface edges as well but remembering to keep clear of the fur and quilted areas ...

- - - Updated - - -

Once again i cannot fault the quality of this jacket. the cotton is good and heavyweight. the stitching is exceptionally neat and tidy .. its really well made and i look forward to wearing it when its not 27 degrees of heat .. lol

Last edited:
RELATED TO ZLURPO'S LAST POST

Hi

no there were a couple of weird posts on here that seemed to be directing people to another website selling a much less impressive jacket and the way they were worded sounded bot-ish ... i reported it and they are now gone so the remaining posts are a bit out of sync ...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back