Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

For the sweater in the picture with the holster, please compare the Belstaff "Hurtstone" jumper. It's not that exact one, but it may be a similar Belstaff sweater from a previous collection. A clue for this would be that Denis Villeneuve looks to be wearing a Belstaff sweater in the Wired Magazine promotional interview. At the bottom of the article, the stylists and some designers are cited. I believe Denis may be wearing a "K" sweater and I think it might be the Belstaff one mentioned.

Sadly, Belstaff's sweaters are costly. The Superdry textured, garment-dyed one is not exact, but pretty close. (They run fairly snug, BTW.)
Damn, that's pretty darn similar. Does anyone know if that kind of seam design is a thing done by other makes or is it kind of only a belstaff thing? I quickly skimmed through a bunch of other belstaff knit sweaters/jumpers on Google and didn't come across anything closer. If that kind of design is only done by them, the sweater l wears must be either made by them, or heavily inspired by them

well...

we can cross heat'n'bond matte iron on vinyl off as an option for a laminate coating....not sure it's even worth putting up a picture...lol

the search continues...

(also 'matte' must be subjective to heat'n'bond)

So I have some images of my final costume. The pants I ordered from Amazon ($30) work great with the WSL jacket I got for my K costume in terms of the colors not being too close but also still being the same as the movie's color schemes. The pockets are straight and are more cotton than jeans or anything. Forest Green is the color I think they went with when doing the movie cause in a lot of scenes it is this green while also turning brown. Depending on where you are standing, these pants come off as green or brown; that distinct color we keep trying to focus on and whatnot. Comfy too.
The sweater which people have been asking about is honestly an Ebay find, I know it definitely isn't the same (upon arriving, has some differences but I dig the look of it now) as the movie but the sweater was an $18 L'autre Mode Black Knit Sweater from a shop that closed down several years ago (from the font, I'd say over a decade or two; seems vintage-y) in the description of the seller's item. It's a large so it isn't mega snug on me but the sleeves, the bottom and the upper neck part are too perfect to give up, it also has the raglan sleeves we've been hunting for. The knitting pattern isn't exact but from a distance it looks literally the same and same can be said about the angles. If anything, it's more vertical that anything but when you wear it, you don't really notice it. It's weird.
The boots are the one's that were covered earlier in the thread and from what people have been saying, the price is down to about $90 USD instead of the higher ones mentioned earlier. Gonna 3d print the pistol and make a holster for K's weapon as well. If anyone is willing to take more detailed photos, that would be great reference.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg26909484_10210365691249541_47101631_o.jpg26972199_10210365690809530_1261107529_o.jpg26981505_10210365690929533_698820276_o.jpg27016279_10210365691089537_93301080_o.jpg126908956_10210365691009535_1385787191_o.jpg

Looking good, man :thumbsup

Only note I’d make is on the trousers. K’s are a bit slimmer(slim/skinny fit depending your build). So maybe a quick visit to the tailor and have them taken in on the legs. If you’re diggin’ the straight leg fit by all means keep it. Overall, it looks on point.

heres a photo of the base holster with no mods:
8FC50DEB-6784-46D0-B512-5EF4629FF764.jpeg

This is the holster with the 2049 blaster mods:
9541FA18-413A-4CC9-B67B-40CFC7BB52C8.jpeg

Those are the best images I’m away of so far, hope they help.

So I have some images of my final costume. The pants I ordered from Amazon ($30) work great with the WSL jacket I got for my K costume in terms of the colors not being too close but also still being the same as the movie's color schemes. The pockets are straight and are more cotton than jeans or anything. Forest Green is the color I think they went with when doing the movie cause in a lot of scenes it is this green while also turning brown. Depending on where you are standing, these pants come off as green or brown; that distinct color we keep trying to focus on and whatnot. Comfy too.
The sweater which people have been asking about is honestly an Ebay find, I know it definitely isn't the same (upon arriving, has some differences but I dig the look of it now) as the movie but the sweater was an $18 L'autre Mode Black Knit Sweater from a shop that closed down several years ago (from the font, I'd say over a decade or two; seems vintage-y) in the description of the seller's item. It's a large so it isn't mega snug on me but the sleeves, the bottom and the upper neck part are too perfect to give up, it also has the raglan sleeves we've been hunting for. The knitting pattern isn't exact but from a distance it looks literally the same and same can be said about the angles. If anything, it's more vertical that anything but when you wear it, you don't really notice it. It's weird.
The boots are the one's that were covered earlier in the thread and from what people have been saying, the price is down to about $90 USD instead of the higher ones mentioned earlier. Gonna 3d print the pistol and make a holster for K's weapon as well. If anyone is willing to take more detailed photos, that would be great reference.

Great work on the finished product! You've captured the look very well.

SoGonna 3d print the pistol and make a holster for K's weapon as well. If anyone is willing to take more detailed photos, that would be great reference.
The holster was based on the Safariland 1090 Gun Quick shoulder holster, which is discontinued and apparently quite rare. I disassembled mine and have documented it in this thread over in the Replica Prop section:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=284606
The leather strapping was replaced with some type of textured neoprene (that has not yet been identified) with a fabric bound edge, The 2 moulded plastic halves of the muzzle end of the original holster were the only parts that were reused, and were attached to two new side rails. There also seems to be 2 types of holster used in the film - a 'hero' holster with a retaining spring that runs around the rear of the grip frame (like a real 1090) that is only seen in scenes where K has his coat off, and a 'stunt' holster that was presumably worn under the coat in scenes where he needed to draw the gun that has no retaining spring and uses a sling under the trigger guard to retain the gun (as the spring probably made drawing the gun awkward). It is the 'stunt' version in the picture above (a photo from the Wired article on the film) and which was on display at SDCC

Last edited:
The holster was based on the Safariland 1090 Gun Quick shoulder holster, which is discontinued and apparently quite rare. I disassembled mine and have documented it in this thread over in the Replica Prop section:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=284606
The leather strapping was replaced with some type of textured neoprene (that has not yet been identified) with a fabric bound edge, The 2 moulded plastic halves of the muzzle end of the original holster were the only parts that were reused, and were attached to two new side rails. There also seems to be 2 types of holster used in the film - a 'hero' holster with a retaining spring that runs around the rear of the grip frame (like a real 1090) that is only seen in scenes where K has his coat off, and a 'stunt' holster that was presumably worn under the coat in scenes where he needed to draw the gun that has no retaining spring and uses a sling under the trigger guard to retain the gun (as the spring probably made drawing the gun awkward). It is the 'stunt' version in the picture above (a photo from the Wired article on the film) and which was on display at SDCC

I remember seeing someone talking about this holster but couldn't find the reply in this post! Thanks!

Hi all, first time post. Been stalking this thread for a while considering where to take the plunge in regards to the K Coat.
I've bought one of the "faux leather" ones in the past and while it wasn't awful I couldn't deal with the shine/fake leather texture - even after painting/weathering.

I've heard...mixed...things about the White Sheep leather one on here, and while it looks good, I'm not convinced the collar stands firm when in this position based on some of the pictures others have posted of theirs (see pictures).

Can anyone confirm or deny how it holds up. I definitely wouldn't want a floppy collar. (Third image from Zlurpo's coat for comparison)

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 09.03.56.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-17 at 09.04.11.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-17 at 09.07.44.png

Hi all, first time post. Been stalking this thread for a while considering where to take the plunge in regards to the K Coat.
I've bought one of the "faux leather" ones in the past and while it wasn't awful I couldn't deal with the shine/fake leather texture - even after painting/weathering.

Can anyone confirm or deny how it holds up. I definitely wouldn't want a floppy collar. (Third image from Zlurpo's coat for comparison)

View attachment 787880View attachment 787881View attachment 787882

I've had no issues with my coat standing up like that. for the WSL I also wanna say that the magnets in the collar help keep that shape. I'd ask them to maybe if you order to add .5" of length to it to give you enough space around the face. If you read some other qoutes here, the new changes they give you can give your coat added effects of what the movie creates for the fur lining. ANother thing I'd suggest is add more room in the hips, they make it a little too narrow imo.

Thanks for the reply! That's good to know.

I'm honestly still on the fence and debating whether to put the money down on a Zlurpo. After all, I want this to be a Winter coat as well as a costume prop. It's just a lot of money to drop all at once (especially ordering from the UK - Shipping is £50!!).

Not an easy decision. I know Zlurpo's will be higher quality and probably last a much longer time so it's probably worth it in the long term....

Decisions. Decisions.

Another weird question, have we identified a similar style of suspenders? Seems to have nylon hardware and is all black. And does K wear a belt, can't remember if he does or not seeing as I can't even tell what the clips clip onto, his pockets or something?.
8287ccee6d1166bc1d28f55507bd835c.jpg

The "suspender" is part of the holster rig, or are you meaning like so you could fabricate something like it? Army surplus stores here usually have a lot of this stuff, like generic fixings in black plastic and nylon. Maybe something could be frankensteined from such things.

If K wears a belt I haven't been able to spot it. There's a couple shots where he has his coat off but his holster on, so the sweater is hanging down beyond his beltline everywhere but where the clips for the shoulder rig are, I can't see anything there. I think the holster just clips straight on to the waist of his pants.

Another weird question, have we identified a similar style of suspenders? Seems to have nylon hardware and is all black. And does K wear a belt, can't remember if he does or not seeing as I can't even tell what the clips clip onto, his pockets or something?.

The "suspender" is part of the holster rig, or are you meaning like so you could fabricate something like it? Army surplus stores here usually have a lot of this stuff, like generic fixings in black plastic and nylon. Maybe something could be frankensteined from such things.

If K wears a belt I haven't been able to spot it. There's a couple shots where he has his coat off but his holster on, so the sweater is hanging down beyond his beltline everywhere but where the clips for the shoulder rig are, I can't see anything there. I think the holster just clips straight on to the waist of his pants.

Yes, the 'suspender' is actually the elastic retaining strap from the Safariland 1090 that runs from the top of the shoulder strap, across the back of the neck and over the shoulder to the waistband (there is a shorter one that secures the bottom of the holster to his waistband on his left hand side as well). The components of the straps are all documented in the thread that I linked to in my previous post.

I also haven't found any scenes where he is visibly wearing a belt in the film. As the holster acts like a pair of suspenders, there would be little need for a belt.

I've heard...mixed...things about the White Sheep leather one on here, and while it looks good, I'm not convinced the collar stands firm when in this position based on some of the pictures others have posted of theirs (see pictures).

View attachment 787880View attachment 787881View attachment 787882
Stands up perfectly fine

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Stands up perfectly fine

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for clarifying that, I did wonder if it was just the way the coat/neck was sitting.

I've asked WSL a few other queries/alteration requests and they've been helpful but it's gotten to the point where he hasn't replied to my last Facebook messages. I think he's thinking "***** this guy. I'd rather not have his business" haha. =_=

Thanks for the reply! That's good to know.

I'm honestly still on the fence and debating whether to put the money down on a Zlurpo. After all, I want this to be a Winter coat as well as a costume prop. It's just a lot of money to drop all at once (especially ordering from the UK - Shipping is £50!!).

Not an easy decision. I know Zlurpo's will be higher quality and probably last a much longer time so it's probably worth it in the long term....

Decisions. Decisions.
The WSL coat wouldn’t hold up well as a winter jacket. I’m not sure how it compares to Zlurpo’s in regards to warmth or anything like that, but I could only see the WSL coat holding up as a fall or spring jacket. I’m not sure what your winters are like, but it certainly wouldn’t suffice for a Canadian winter.

Thanks for clarifying that, I did wonder if it was just the way the coat/neck was sitting.

I've asked WSL a few other queries/alteration requests and they've been helpful but it's gotten to the point where he hasn't replied to my last Facebook messages. I think he's thinking "***** this guy. I'd rather not have his business" haha. =_=
Wanted to give you some advice. I just got my WSL coat and I love it, I would say that collar stands up decently when folded, but not as close together as I'd like. When I ordered my face guard, I asked for buttons instead of a magnet and belt.
26941944_10155289608498157_2102839288_o.jpg26981692_10155289608443157_1368034064_o.jpg
What I would highly recommend (or if I were to order again) is to get both a male and female buttons on both sides/opposite of each other so that you could clip the collar side to keep it all closed off. Does that make any sense? The guy at WSL is halfway around the world, so he'll get around to your messages, he just sleeps at different times to us folks in NA. He's still pretty good at replying though.

So I just got my WSL coat, and I don't think it would hurt to add my input on the coat for anyone curious as to if they should purchase it. I personally love it. The rep at WSL was super responsive and while it seemed like I was annoying him, he was still receptive to things I was asking about.
My coat has no letterings and I didn't order the wax weathering (DON'T ORDER THIS. A few people on the thread have been burnt by this, so I wouldn't recommend it.)

I wrote the following in the Comment section of my order on the WSL website:
"Dimensions:
Chest 36"
Waist 34"
Sleeve 25"
Bicep 13 1/2"
Shoulder to Shoulder 17 1/2"
Total Height 5'10" (178 cm)

DARK GREY JACKET
No belt/buckle on collar
Two hidden buttons for face cover - spaced evenly
Alternate fur for the shearling look"

The results:
26972305_10155289608243157_2023207493_o.jpg27018696_10155289608233157_1716752374_o.jpg27046909_10155289608223157_1168563127_o.jpg26906560_10155289608208157_663693431_o.jpg26942223_10155289608378157_1865815117_o.jpg26981944_10155289608393157_759192031_o.jpg

Overall, the jacket looks great for the price I paid. Again, I didn't get the lettering as I wanted to wear this jacket more casually. The colouring is great and I'm super pleased with the dark grey as I'm not a huge fan of the green look from the movie. I understand why many people may be a tad disappointed with the jacket, but I didn't want to break the bank with a Magnoli Jacket. The cotton exterior doesn't look as cheap as other people have been saying. I think it's a decent coat that will work well for my needs.

As for the face guard in my previous post above, I got four buttons, two on each side. If I were to do it again, I'd get male button on the bottom of the collar side that folds and a female button at the top so I could close it off. For the most part, the collar stays down, but does not close as much as I'd like. I'll have to wear it more to see if it stays folded. I personally hated the belt with the magnet look. It just looked weird. It's entirely up to you as to what your preference is.
26941944_10155289608498157_2102839288_o.jpg26981692_10155289608443157_1368034064_o.jpg

As for the face guard, it's not that great. Obviously the Magnolia is the best looking one, so if you're going for screen accuracy or for it to not look weird when up, go for Magnoli. The WSL face guard looks dumb.
26942332_10155289608338157_1830324018_o.jpg26981578_10155289608303157_1142526946_o.jpg

Overall, it's a great jacket, but not the best. Don't go looking for the best quality jacket through WSL. Just know that the jacket looks really awesome when down, but when up, it looks like poop. Be super meticulous about your dimensions and what you want out the jacket. I'm pretty happy with mine! Let me know if you guys have any questions. Again, I know this is another WSL coat post, but I'm sure any input is good.

26972305_10155289608243157_2023207493_o.jpg

27018696_10155289608233157_1716752374_o.jpg

27046909_10155289608223157_1168563127_o.jpg

26906560_10155289608208157_663693431_o.jpg

26942223_10155289608378157_1865815117_o.jpg

26981944_10155289608393157_759192031_o.jpg

26941944_10155289608498157_2102839288_o.jpg

26981692_10155289608443157_1368034064_o.jpg

26942332_10155289608338157_1830324018_o.jpg

26981578_10155289608303157_1142526946_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, I never noticed that in the build process. I was always like "How does he have so manysuspenders and belts and whatnot on for this attire"
This makes way more sense, thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back