Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Can I ask what everyone’s thoughts are on the ‘big 3’ Jackets, the WSL, zlurpo and magnolia?

I own the WSL and although a great jacket, I did have to make n alteration to the collar which was not accurate really. The side that stands up and folds over, joined by the magnet was and still is way to floppy and just sits flat on the shoulder.

The magnolia looks like real quality. It looks very thick and the waxed version gives it a brilliant shine, very screen accurate. However, I am not convinced by the collar on this either (from the photos I have seen). To me, the lapels look very small and again, the side of the collar that is supposed to stand upright seems to be too far forward. Ryan goslings version on the movie is almost in line with his ear. The magnolia one seems to be more at the collar bone line.

The latest shots of the zlurpo look good. I don’t know if overall it matches the Magnoli for sheer quality but this version has by far the most accurate collar and lapels. Especially with the stand up part of the collar.

Thought?

So I received my WSL coat today. I am very pleased with it. I know a number of you have had mixed experiences but as a cosplayer I wanted something that was more accurate than the cheap leather versions but couldn't justify the top of the line pricey ones as discussed here.

WSL was the perfect middle ground for what I could afford, who needs to eat right? :)

I went down the custom measurement route after reading a few reviews. The colour is exactly what I wanted and I asked for the text on the back to be muted. You really can only see it in certain light. Its a well made coat, sturdy and durable. You can totally wear it in the later half of the year, perfect fall weather jacket (I live in Canada).

I asked for magnets on the collar instead of the belt buckle attachment and gave them the circumference of my head because I wanted an inch or two away from my face.

The only issue I have really is that its a bit bigger around the waist than I like. There is a metal clasp which I'm going to move so its a simple fix. Personally I blame myself for always adding a small amount to my measurements just incase. They hit all the other aspects perfectly though, the fit on the shoulders and arm length is spot on.

Sorry the pictures aren't great, I was too excited to put it on and all my photography skills went out the window LOL!

To sum up. WSL is a great middle ground coat, especially for a cosplayer who might only wear it a couple times a year, although I am going to wear the crap out of it because its a lovely coat.

View attachment 793657View attachment 793652
Do you have any photos of the collar upright by any chance? I'm curious to see how it looks with the extra inches on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I shared a more thorough review with lots of additional detail photos in Zlurpo's Junkyard thread, but I'll chime in here to express how happy I am with his version of the coat:
2018-02-03 16.56.49.jpg2018-02-03 16.56.59.jpg2018-02-03 16.58.18.jpg

My only major complaint (which could easily be due to errors in my measurements, not necessarily Zlurpo's design) is that the collar/mask is tighter than the screen-used coat:
2018-02-03 16.57.45.jpg

Aside from that, I feel that his design is the closest to the original in terms of details and overall shape/feel. It's also warm enough to wear in the current 15-20F temperatures here in Michigan, and it feels sturdy enough to treat as a regular garment rather than a costume piece. Magnoli's looks like it might be a bit more heavy-duty overall, in terms of both construction and insulation, but Zlurpo's is definitely no slouch (and being somewhat less thick allows it to keep its trim profile).

Looks good! I would like to add on to Zeuqzalev101's request. Could you take a photo with the front closed up as well?

So I received my WSL coat today. I am very pleased with it. I know a number of you have had mixed experiences but as a cosplayer I wanted something that was more accurate than the cheap leather versions but couldn't justify the top of the line pricey ones as discussed here.

WSL was the perfect middle ground for what I could afford, who needs to eat right? :)

I went down the custom measurement route after reading a few reviews. The colour is exactly what I wanted and I asked for the text on the back to be muted. You really can only see it in certain light. Its a well made coat, sturdy and durable. You can totally wear it in the later half of the year, perfect fall weather jacket (I live in Canada).

I asked for magnets on the collar instead of the belt buckle attachment and gave them the circumference of my head because I wanted an inch or two away from my face.

The only issue I have really is that its a bit bigger around the waist than I like. There is a metal clasp which I'm going to move so its a simple fix. Personally I blame myself for always adding a small amount to my measurements just incase. They hit all the other aspects perfectly though, the fit on the shoulders and arm length is spot on.

Sorry the pictures aren't great, I was too excited to put it on and all my photography skills went out the window LOL!

To sum up. WSL is a great middle ground coat, especially for a cosplayer who might only wear it a couple times a year, although I am going to wear the crap out of it because its a lovely coat.

View attachment 793657View attachment 793652

@Zeuqzalev101 & @pheyos here are a couple shots I meant to add yesterday but I was having issues with the uploads. The extra space at the top is perfect but I do recognize that the base where it sits needs a little adjustment. I am going to add another clip so it looks neater. I had only just put it on so hadn't really got to grips with how it should sit properly.

IMG_7734.jpgIMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7734.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zeuqzalev101 & @pheyos here are a couple shots I meant to add yesterday but I was having issues with the uploads. The extra space at the top is perfect but I do recognize that the base where it sits needs a little adjustment. I am going to add another clip so it looks neater. I had only just put it on so hadn't really got to grips with how it should sit properly.

View attachment 794163View attachment 794162

Two questions because I'm super interested in picking this up. My first is, did you opt for the waxed version? Secondly, how long did it take from purchase to arriving at your house?

Two questions because I'm super interested in picking this up. My first is, did you opt for the waxed version? Secondly, how long did it take from purchase to arriving at your house?

I did not get the wax weathering as I want to weather it myself, I wasn't sure what it would look like and a few people seemed disappointed with the results. It took just shy of 3 weeks from ordering to arriving, like I said I'm in Canada so once it shipped it took less than a week to get to me. They were pretty good at communicating and giving me info about when it was ready.

I did not get the wax weathering as I want to weather it myself, I wasn't sure what it would look like and a few people seemed disappointed with the results. It took just shy of 3 weeks from ordering to arriving, like I said I'm in Canada so once it shipped it took less than a week to get to me. They were pretty good at communicating and giving me info about when it was ready.

That sounds great, thank you for the info! I will definitely be ordering.

Can I ask what everyone’s thoughts are on the ‘big 3’ Jackets, the WSL, zlurpo and magnolia?

I own the WSL and although a great jacket, I did have to make n alteration to the collar which was not accurate really. The side that stands up and folds over, joined by the magnet was and still is way to floppy and just sits flat on the shoulder.

The magnolia looks like real quality. It looks very thick and the waxed version gives it a brilliant shine, very screen accurate. However, I am not convinced by the collar on this either (from the photos I have seen). To me, the lapels look very small and again, the side of the collar that is supposed to stand upright seems to be too far forward. Ryan goslings version on the movie is almost in line with his ear. The magnolia one seems to be more at the collar bone line.

The latest shots of the zlurpo look good. I don’t know if overall it matches the Magnoli for sheer quality but this version has by far the most accurate collar and lapels. Especially with the stand up part of the collar.

Thought?

Your right about the collar on the Magnoli coat, it is a bit off and the lapels are a bit small but it gets the job done and while it has padded shoulders, its more a like a suit is padded rather than the films coat which hangs over onto the sleeve. I've been happy having it be a bit inaccurate in exchange for the sheer quality of it. Its a great, well made coat. Its been keeping me sufficiently warm in the Boston winter and the fit is fantastic. The waxed finish has also been amazingly effective in repelling snow and rain and protecting against wind. You get what you pay for, but you trade a bit of accuracy compared to Zlurpo's which is undoubtedly the most accurate version of the coat.

I can't speak for the quality of the Zlurpo coat but from what people are saying, its very well made and it looks fantastic. I can speak for Magnoli's and say its also a great looking coat that is masterfully crafted, just a bit inaccurate in a few small ways that only people as obsessed with the coat as us are going to notice. You can't go wrong with either, just depends on what you are looking for.

27787423_1784756344876006_207525451_o.jpg
Spoliers? :lol

Thank you! What color did you opt for?

View attachment 794163View attachment 794162

Skip the waxing. I attempted to get a refund for the waxing on my coat (because it was very clearly not waxed) and, after describing to them what waxing should be (i.e. coating the fabric in wax and heating it to create a waterproof coating) they told me that their waxing "has only the difference of darkening and making it look antique and rough. That's it." Even then, I can't tell the difference. I tried to get them to describe exactly what their "waxing" process is and they said they'd provide me with some photos or a video of the the process, which I never received. I just gave up after that because it was clear they weren't going to give me a refund. Oh well.

Thanks for that tip CMYKey

because this jacket is on the cheaper side (cost wise) I wanted to get an unwaxed coat and wax it myself with a bar of OtterWax.

that way if it doesn’t work out, I’m not too P.O.ed hahah

Hi everyone. I just spoke with a representative from the Matchless store in London. Now, according to Stuntman on filmjackets.com (a very prominent member of the community and reliable source) said a long time ago that Matchless manufactured the jacket for the film (April still designed it of course). Matchless just confirmed it, but mentioned that the jacket isn't actually for sale. He did mention, however, that he can ask if they will make the jacket on request, and will let me know Monday. Now I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, nor detract from the amazing craftsmanship of these jackets I've seen, but if they are willing to make the jacket, it's likely that they will need multiple orders to make it worth the time. I don't have any more details than that, but would there be any interest in this if possible? The price will be a bit higher, likely around $700-800 if I had to guess.

Hi everyone. I just spoke with a representative from the Matchless store in London. Now, according to Stuntman on filmjackets.com (a very prominent member of the community and reliable source) said a long time ago that Matchless manufactured the jacket for the film (April still designed it of course). Matchless just confirmed it, but mentioned that the jacket isn't actually for sale. He did mention, however, that he can ask if they will make the jacket on request, and will let me know Monday. Now I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, nor detract from the amazing craftsmanship of these jackets I've seen, but if they are willing to make the jacket, it's likely that they will need multiple orders to make it worth the time. I don't have any more details than that, but would there be any interest in this if possible? The price will be a bit higher, likely around $700-800 if I had to guess.

Really interested to see the outcome of this out of curiosity, although even if i'd waited, $700-800 as a ballpark figure is way out of my price range for a replica costume piece.

I was also under the impression that the jacket was heavily modified by the costume team after it was delivered (painted to change the color then laminated) so who knows what it originally looked like? I'm curious will they replicate the coat as it was delivered to the set or as it's seen in the final film? Or if they will do as many companies do and 'adapt' the design to make it more consumer friendly.

Please keep us updated.

Yeah, I definitely lowballed the price estimate there. Over $1000 seems much more likely. The highest priced waxed jacket they have is just under $1000, so I'm sure a couple hundred dollar premium is in order for a custom order.

Yeah, I definitely lowballed the price estimate there. Over $1000 seems much more likely. The highest priced waxed jacket they have is just under $1000, so I'm sure a couple hundred dollar premium is in order for a custom order.

Ouch. I'm sure that will price out a fair few on here, so i'm not sure how much luck you'll have with multiple orders. But you never know.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back